Moving. . . where should I go?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    You could always work here in Sacramento and work for Intel or HP. Or even get underpaid at Apple.

You can think of it as a long vacation. You'd only be here a short time since you'd get laid off within 3 years...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

You go all over the board here, from making me want to go to making me want to stay. The major roadblock is that I'm much more marketable to the small-company job market, and it's harder to arrange the paperwork in these cases. I'm not strictly IT, but there is a decent amount of high-tech R&D in England, and that's not a bad thing for Spline. It would be an interesting journey for sure, although I think most of the folks who know me can back me up when I say that I'm not a big fan of taxes, and due to that I don't think I would manage to reach full ex-pat status.

Although, I will still look into it for short-ish term. I don't think I'd have too much of a problem avoiding stereotypical American misgivings.

Sorry - can't help it - England is a mixed bag of goodies and my suggestions probably reflect my ambivalence about this country well.

If you're in a small-company job market, rather than having a portfolio CV to appeal to larger companies, then it may be very difficult. Short-term work here may be more appealing for you then - think of it as an odyssey. There are loads of ex-pat Americans here (don't know how they manage the tax situation though - maybe invest in offshore Guernsey?) - it's funny 'cos they talk about everything, either completely oblivious to the fact that others are present and hear everything; or they want everyone to hear everything, or they just don't care. That lack of indiscretion makes me think they would be better off in Omaha
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Come back to Jersey... You never had it better!

Besides, you may qualify for free Eagles gear...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    What's with everyone trying to give away Eagles gear?

I'm from DC, and hence am a Redskins fan. Since moving to FL I've pretty much been OK as long as the NFC East does well, but if I'm back in Jersey, let's get serious. I'll be back to 100% Skins.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    You could always come to Australia plenty of good IT jobs going begging here that no one seems to want.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I'm from DC, and hence am a Redskins fan. Since moving to FL I've pretty much been OK as long as the NFC East does well, but if I'm back in Jersey, let's get serious. I'll be back to 100% Skins.

Yeah, try Austraila...

Actually I lived for a while near RTP in Carolina. Nice place that, but I figured that you wanted something a little more different having been on the East Coast for a while. I envy your freedom.

P.S. I wasn't trying to give away any of MY Eageles stuff. I was working off SDW2001's offer...
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

You could always come to Australia plenty of good IT jobs going begging here that no one seems to want.

Australia would be great. I went there once, and it was a great place. The problem is that there's not much electronic product design or R&D there. If I can find a job in Australia doing what I want to do, it's a definite possibility.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Australia would be great. I went there once, and it was a great place.

Tell us what kind of place you like. City life or outdoor life? Personal sports, or good professional sports? We know you would like electronic product development or R&D for work, but how about after hours?

• Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Tell us what kind of place you like. City life or outdoor life? Personal sports, or good professional sports? We know you would like electronic product development or R&D for work, but how about after hours?

I run, play soccer, and play tennis. It's nice to be able to do those things, so I tend to appreciate the large town slash small city. It's also nice to be able to easily and cheaply get to a large city via a train in under an hour. I have absolutely no interest in "the outdoors," so far as camping and hiking and those sorts of things. I also like low taxes. Unfortunately, sometimes you can't have it all.

I grew up in DC and Bethesda, and I kind of like that basic ambience, but I'll pass on the frequest freezing rain storms they get in the winter. Northern California and possibly Oregon are probably the ideal climates for me, but then again Melbourne Australia and the UK are probably fine too. I don't mind hot summers or lack of sunshine -- in fact, I'm damn sick of sunshine after two and half years in the sunshine state -- but I hate snow and long-lasting sub-freezing winters.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I absorb myself in my work and in my constant education. I would like to live in an area that's dense with similar kinds of folks. There's a lot of creativity in NY, but there are also a lot of financeers. I prefer hanging out with innovators, entrepreneurs, and at times even artists. The Northeast and Silicon Valley are two spots where I know there are a fair amount of these types. I sure there are other hot spots, however.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

I would like to live in an area that's dense with similar kinds of folks

There are plenty of areas with dense folk. Maybe some of the Americans here can make some local recommendations for you

Honestly -that's quite a comfort zone you have. You want a social life with low taxation; therefore financial stability, and economic stability is at the core of your values. In that case, immigrating to another country may be too demanding.....or taxing. Since a new country demands an openness to what is essentially, beyond your own comfort zone.

The west coast of the States might appeal more to you; I hear the weather is mostly 21C in San Francisco, and the social life is fantastic. Whereas it isn't sunshine Florida, it is beautiful enough to enjoy tennis and sports. Perhaps NY, like London, is a metropolis of sorts and there are sub-groups within each group - you'll find artists and creative thinkers abounding, as well as financiers and completely rigid types working shoulder to shoulder to each other depending on which street you turn down.

In any case, you're in a fortunate position without too much dependents to anchor you down - that would make a 1 year proposition anywhere very attractive imho....
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Honestly -that's quite a comfort zone you have. You want a social life with low taxation; therefore financial stability, and economic stability is at the core of your values. In that case, immigrating to another country may be too demanding.....or taxing. Since a new country demands an openness to what is essentially, beyond your own comfort zone.

It's not really a comfort zone. More of an ideal. The only thing that's extremely important is that there are smart people around. I've missed that aspect of the human puzzle since I've been in Florida. Other than that, I'm ultimately game for anything.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

The only thing that's extremely important is that there are smart people around.

Problem solved then!

Appleinsider will always be with you....wherever you go!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

I grew up in DC and Bethesda, and I kind of like that basic ambience, but I'll pass on the frequent freezing rain storms they get in the winter.

I lived in Bethesda for a year, working at NSA in Arlington. I drove through DC Monday through Friday. I objected to the summer heat and humidity. I prefer either costal California summers, which are cool, or those in Oregon. Portland is either warm and dry in summer, or in the 70s. We get our rain in winter, but not much freezing rain -- some snow but not every winter. This winter we had five days with snow on the ground and no ice storms.

Quote:

I run, play soccer, and play tennis. It's nice to be able to do those things, so I tend to appreciate the large town slash small city. It's also nice to be able to easily and cheaply get to a large city via a train in under an hour.

What size is 'small' city for you? I guess I'd classify Portland as a medium city with a population of about 560,000 plus a dozen or so suburbs ranging from 30 to 100 thousand each.

Portland has several running and biking events every year -- the Portland marathon, with walkers too, and the bridge event in which bikers cross the river on all seven or eight bridges. Portland is known for being bike friendly, and has many bike lanes on city streets and bike trails too.

The Washington Park tennis courts are in the hills overlooking downtown. My wife and I used to play there when we were dating. Now we live one block away from the tennis courts in Columbia Park. Lots of parks here.

Quote:

I have absolutely no interest in "the outdoors," so far as camping and hiking and those sorts of things. I also like low taxes. Unfortunately, sometimes you can't have it all.

The outdoors here may grow on you. We have many trails and waterfalls. As for taxes, there is no sales tax in Oregon, one of the few such states. However there is an income tax and property taxes. I guess we must pay for government somehow.

Quote:

. . . I absorb myself in my work and in my constant education. I would like to live in an area that's dense with similar kinds of folks.

There are areas of high density living, but also more open spaces too. It has pretty diverse living conditions. Portland State University is in the heart of the city. We live near the University of Portland. Lewis and Clark is in the hills about 10 miles from downtown, and Reed is about the same distance in another direction. BTW, Steve Jobs went to Reed. Everyone here likely knows that already. I knew a fellow, who died a couple years ago, who knew Steve Wozniak here in Portland. He was pretty secretive about where Steve lives or how I could meet him, and Steve was not at his funeral service.