Beyond the Rumor Sites MY ASS.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    danhodanho Posts: 22member
    I still think there is more to the story. As I wrote a while ago, a CompUSA person told me the imacs would have G4s (looks to be true), there will be G5s (TBD), and possibly G5s in powerbook (looks like ibook is being updated).

There is more - have faith.

danho
  • Reply 42 of 53
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by gloobes:

<strong>The point is, this is NOT BEYOND THE RUMOR SITES. The idea of a flat screen imac, a flat screen imac witha supredrive, a flatscreen imac G4 has been floated on these sites since before MACWORLD NY '01!

There is NO WAY this is beyond the rumors.

I am so bummed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do so many people insist on treating Apple's marketing blurbs as some kind of holy writ? Aren't we supposed to be a little saavier about this stuff nowadays?

It's advertising. It's supposed to get you pumped up and excited, not function as a legally binding statement. And besides, until the keynote is over you have no idea whether the iMac is the "hyped" product or not.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Absolutely NOT way beyond the rumors. Total letdown. The iMacs aren't EVEN GOING TO BE OUT FOR A MONTH!

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHH.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    $1799 gives you a 800MHz G4 with 15" LCD.

$1699 gives you a 733MHz G4 with no LCD.

Something is weird here.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How could Apple say this was beyond the rumor sites? The only thing really impressive (hardware wise) was the iMac.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by gloobes:

<strong>Frankly I think most of the ideas that have generated from here have been more creative, inspiring, and original than what we've seen from Apple.

(...)

Apple should really hire some of the creative minds that dream up some great (and in my opinion feasible) stuff here.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, excuse me, but I somehow fail to see how taking everything that sounds fast somehow (2GHz G5, DDR, AGP 8x, HyperTransport, whatever) and throwing it all together could possibly be considered "creative"...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 46 of 53
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nokturnal:

<strong>$1799 gives you a 800MHz G4 with 15" LCD.

$1699 gives you a 733MHz G4 with no LCD.

Something is weird here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why a lot of people were surprised that the G4s didn't get updated.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    the G5 cometh!!!

Why else would they bump the imac to a G4?
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Apple will be selling very few iMacs right now until march, when they're all ready. That's probably when the G5s will be ready as well. With a new look, of course.

So APple desides to not do the G5 announcement (the other 30 minutes scheduled that was left out) until Feb, so that they can still sell computers.

But hey - buy a 733 G4 with combo drive and 15 inch display for $2200, or buy a 800G4 with Superdrive and 15 inch display, minus the expandibility, for $1800.

Yeah.

G5s are right around the corner.

Love Andrew
  • Reply 50 of 53
    This is a consumer show, you shouldn't of been expecting an upgrade in the pro line up. Notice how most of the announcements were consumer related?

Anyway, Apple needs a few things to release at Tokyo.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    amidala

".........until march, when they're all ready. That's probably when the G5s will be ready as well. With a new look, of course."

Your dreaming. The MPC8540 WON'T EVEN BE SAMPLING UNTIL THE 2ND HALF OF 2002 AND IT IS AN EMBEDDED CHIP. A DESKTOP CPU IS WWWAAAAAAYYYYY MORE COMPLEX AND WILL NOT APPEAR BEFORE THE MPC8540.

IF WE'RE LUCKY THE APOLLO MAY APPEAR IN THE 1ST QUARTER OF 2002. MAYBE ONLY THE MPC7450 USING SOI WILL APPEAR WHICH IS MORE PROBABLE AND IT WILL ONLY BARELY REACH 1GHz.

Time for Apple to get another supplier for their cpu's. Motorola doesn't give a $$$$ about desktop cpu's. When will Apple realize this.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by rickag:

<strong>

IF WE'RE LUCKY THE APOLLO MAY APPEAR IN THE 1ST QUARTER OF 2002. MAYBE ONLY THE MPC7450 USING SOI WILL APPEAR WHICH IS MORE PROBABLE AND IT WILL ONLY BARELY REACH 1GHz.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, the general consensus seems to be that the Apollo in fact *is* "only the MPC7450 using SOI".

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Apple must be embarrased about its current line up of G4 Towers. The good people at Apple are not working for nothing, they have a fast chip coming from their help with MOT. Apple will please all you pro people at the next expo in march or maybe earlier.