The Keyboard is Dead Thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    But how on Earth would people program PHP by using their voice? It's constantly removing lines, adding weird characters...its impossible to do it all by voice! The original thread is "the keyboard is dead", but I believe it will never be dead, unless the desktop+command prompt will die.

Quote:

As for speech-to-text being too complex for a computer to handle, I disagree. Yes, it is hard, but not impossible. Computers keep getting more memory, faster CPUs, more CPUs, more hard drive space, better software. At some point, the hardware and software will be good enough. The question is when this threshold will be crossed.

Don't forget language changes all the time. Not just different words, but also different meanings, syntax, grammer...It changes faster than you think. In practical use it would be impossible to keep up with the evolution of language.

Unless....there will be a major breaktrough in AI software, a system that learns itself language, context and meaning. IMHO very Star-Trekish at the moment, but who knows!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    I wonder if all this new technology will understand my l33t v0cabu1ary...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Php would be a bare using speech-to-text rather than a keyboard. However, why the heck does php, objective C, and other computer languages have to be so unnatural to write? I want the computer to conform to me, not the other way around. I think we could develop a computer programming language that is much more natural language like then we have now.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Php would be a bare using speech-to-text rather than a keyboard. However, why the heck does php, objective C, and other computer languages have to be so unnatural to write? I want the computer to conform to me, not the other way around. I think we could develop a computer programming language that is much more natural language like then we have now.

Like Smalltalk?

RIMSHOT
  • Reply 25 of 25
    In the 20+ years since I learned how to type, I've heard the keyboard was just about obsolete. I expect to hear the same for the next 20+ years.