LoopRumors sez new Mac Pro will be smaller

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do we believe 'em?

Quote:

this new machine is said to be smaller, and 'significantly faster' than the current offerings. Unlike today's Mac pros, the cooling system will direct hot air through vents at the top of the machine, much like Apple's Cube of yesteryear.

[Full Story]

What's their track record?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Their track record is historically not good. They did get some iPhone stuff correct though.

From macrumors:

Quote:

ThinkSecret reports claiming that the iPhone would be Cingular-only and GSM/EDGE only turned out to be quite accurate, and LoopRumors was first to claim that the iPhone would run a 'light' version of OS X and clearly described the upcoming device as a "communicating device" with touchscreen and wireless capabilities.

Both sites, however, also made many additional claims that did not pan out, including claims that the phone would pack a 3 megapixel camera and 2.2" screen (actual: 2 MP camera, 3.5" screen; claim: ThinkSecret) and claims that the iPhone would contain videoconferencing ability (claim: LoopRumors).

• Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Their track record is historically not good. They did get some iPhone stuff correct though.

From macrumors:

Really??? I thought they'd been doing quite well. They seem to have nailed a lot of details surrounding Leopard and how it (runs and) integrates with a multitude of devices.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    i dont think they will make the mac pro smaller, if they do that, then you lose space for those 4 hard drives, and 16 gb of ram. if it does get smaller, it wont be by much. also the extra room inside is good for heat dissipation
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I think it's time for a redesign, for both MacPro computers and Cinema Displays. I think the Octo-core is the perfect chip in terms of marketing to be used for the redesign.

I would think the earlier we will see the new Mac Pro's will be at NAB in April.

Time to sell my gear on eBay!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Apple might just switch to quad core chips and use the spare sata ports for the superdrives

I sure hope the case stays the same
  • Reply 6 of 25
    the smaller mac pro may be a desktop mac with one cpu
  • Reply 7 of 25
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Let yet another xMac discussion begin !

C'mon Apple - it's way past time for a configurable mid-range machine.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

the smaller mac pro may be a desktop mac with one cpu

One quad core CPU maybe. If it is close to £800 then it could be the mid-tower Mac a lot of people are waiting for. As I said a while ago, this would be the ideal for a 30th anniversary Mac:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...2408&lsrc=osxh

BRING BACK THE CUBE!!!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I concur, there is a gap in the mac line-up for a 'mac-midi' for those who want upgradeability (or already own a good monitor) but not the price tag of a Mac Pro. There's usually no smoke without fire, and i think it is too early for a fundamental Mac pro redesign.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Informal poll of Mac Pro and PowerMac owners:

How many expansion slots do you use in your machine?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

None other than the one for the graphics card ...
  • Reply 12 of 25
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Each of my 3 PowerMacs have at least one expansion PCI card, and up to three. A while back I was using a Beige G3, which I keep usable for several years by filling up the expansion slots.

• Reply 13 of 25
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

two, because my graphics card take two slots.

But is nice to have at least 3 slots.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I could use more. I used to have to open my machine, and swap things out all the time. My Alienware holds everything now though.

If it's one or the other, rather than both, a smaller Mac is only good for those who complain about the current machine, but most the current owners would have to abandon Apple like I did. I don't think a smaller Mac Pro will translate into more sales. I think it will alienate most of the Pro's that have stuck with the Apple workstation through thick and thin. If you make it any smaller I really wouldn't think of it as a Mac Pro workstation.

On a side note I chose Alienware over BOXX because of the name in the end. Specs were about the same. I thought it was fitting. Alienated by Apple = Alienware.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I could use more. I used to have to open my machine, and swap things out all the time. My Alienware holds everything now though.

If it's one or the other, rather than both, a smaller Mac is only good for those who complain about the current machine, but most the current owners would have to abandon Apple like I did. I don't think a smaller Mac Pro will translate into more sales. I think it will alienate most of the Pro's that have stuck with the Apple workstation through thick and thin. If you make it any smaller I really wouldn't think of it as a Mac Pro workstation.

On a side note I chose Alienware over BOXX because of the name in the end. Specs were about the same. I thought it was fitting. Alienated by Apple = Alienware.

I don't think you can really compare an Alienware machine to an Apple workstation. Two completely different beasts as far as I'm concerned. I used to be involved in the gaming industry several years ago as a designer. Alienware have been around for quite a few years and started off building dedicated pro gamer spec machines. Apple have never (untill recently it would seem) paid any attention to the gaming world. I converted to way of the Mac almost a year ago and havn't looked back since. Yes I still have a dedicated gaming PC, but all my work (2D/3D graphical work, photography, video) is being done on the best design platform ever... my Mac(s)... bar some programming which I still do under Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Oh.. back the topic of the thread! I'll be buying a new Mac Pro when Leopard comes out whether it's smaller or not. Personally I hope it isn't much smaller for cooling / expansion reasons, but a face lift wouldn't go a miss.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

one good thing about haveing slots is that you can add things like usb3, 1394C, SATA 600 and other upcoming buses. Also can get things like eSATA.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Dear Joe & Friends

Quote:

one good thing about haveing slots is that you can add things like usb3, 1394C, SATA 600 and other upcoming buses. Also can get things like eSATA.

When are USB3, 1394C, and SATA600 coming? How fast is each?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Dear Joe & Friends

Quote:

When are USB3, 1394C, and SATA600 coming? How fast is each?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I currently use all three slots in my G5. To be honest, I could use another two in there, but one more would be fine. 3 is just not enough (I work in music and have 3 audio PCI cards in there)