Briefly: Apple games, Ballmer on Vista sales (and Apple), patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has taken its search for gaming-related talent a step further by seeking interns to fill programming roles. Meanwhile, everyone's favorite Microsoft CEO was caught yapping about Apple and the Mac while attempting to reset Vista sales expectations. And Apple has tightened its grip on interface patents that cover both the iPod and iPhone.

Search for game staff continues

Yesterday's news that Apple is tracking down game artist interns has prompted well-informed students at Carnegie-Mellon University to reveal that the scope of Apple's search is much broader.

The Pittsburgh institution's private job site currently lists an opening for a game programming intern in Apple's Bay Area home, tasking the new hire with helping to solve code and design issues as part of the larger team. Again, the listing didn't mention the development platform.

Ballmer tones down Vista sales outlook

In what may be a sign of trouble ahead, Microsoft's "excitable" CEO Steve Ballmer told a gathering of financial analysts to lower their expectations for Windows Vista, cautioning the assembly that their current forecasts could be overly "optimistic."

"[Vista] is primarily a chance to sustain what [Windows-based] revenue we have," he urged. "Not every release is a revenue growing opportunity."

Ballmer was also quick to give a kind -- if backhanded -- compliment to Apple for the popularity of its recent "Get a Mac" TV promo campaign, which may have helped the Cupertino firm claw back some of its marketshare lost in years past. This contrasted sharply with previous remarks by long-time associate and company chair Bill Gates, who in a recent Newsweek interview accused Apple of lying in its commercials.

"I'll give Apple credit for what it's done," Ballmer said. "It's not like they've really grown a lot of market share [thanks to the ads]. Remember, when you're the little tiny niche guy who owns about 2 percent of the worldwide market, you can be cute one time and it helps you grow."

Apple patent covers iPod, iPhone UI

Although most pundits centered their attention on Apple's dock patent on Thursday, another filing may be just as important to the California-based company's long-term health: the US Patent and Trademark Office today published an Apple patent discussing its signature interface, specifically touching on its use on both the iPod and mobile phones.

The electronics maker's "Management of files in a personal communication device" application, originally filed back in December 2005, seemingly addresses just about every aspect of the legendary control scheme. Navigating the hierarchical menus to select music, synchronizing with a main computer, and the software's interaction with the iPod's famous Click Wheel are all described in exacting detail.

Crucially, Apple goes to great lengths to emphasize the patent's relevance to phones and includes example photos of the now defunct mobile iTunes found on Motorola's ROKR and RAZR V3i musicphones. The precision in terms may be an attempt by Apple to avoid repeating mistakes it made with its rival Creative, which squeezed a costly settlement out of the iPod maker by claiming that its music player infringed on the Zen's software interface.

Two additional patents made public involved "Auto stacking of time related images," relating to Aperture's ability to group photos by similar time stamps, and a "Method for providing stand-in objects" that creates temporary items to fill the information gaps in a database search.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    If Vista isn't intended to increase Microsoft's revenue, then what is? It took 5 yars to produce Vista. Are we to believe that Microsoft intends to go more than 5 years before they try to increase their revenue from Windows? Are they relying on the Zune to grow their business?

Microsoft's biggest problem is that most of it's customers are waiting for Vista Service Pack 2 before they upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer was also quick to give a kind -- if backhanded -- compliment to Apple for the popularity of its recent "Get a Mac" TV promo campaign, which may have helped the Cupertino firm claw back some of its marketshare lost in years past. This contrasted sharply with previous remarks by long-time associate and company chair Bill Gates, who in a recent Newsweek interview accused Apple of lying in its commercials.

"I'll give Apple credit for what it's done," Ballmer said. "It's not like they've really grown a lot of market share [thanks to the ads]. Remember, when you're the little tiny niche guy who owns about 2 percent of the worldwide market, you can be cute one time and it helps you grow."

Translation: Apple grew marketshare and we're pissed about it, since we want it ALL.

Go throw a chair Ballmer, ya know you want to.

Btw, BEST Ballmer remix EVAR:

http://www.funnydump.com/category/1-...mer_remix.html

• Reply 3 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illuminati18 View Post

If Vista isn't intended to increase Microsoft's revenue, then what is? It took 5 yars to produce Vista. Are we to believe that Microsoft intends to go more than 5 years before they try to increase their revenue from Windows? Are they relying on the Zune to grow their business?

I think that's the very problem, they own the personal computer market. While the PC market is still growing, growth opportunities are outside that. I think Apple has realized that is where their future is as well.

I think Vista is to keep their users sufficiently satisfied to not look elsewhere for system software.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Microsoft is growing by expanding into new markets:

Laptop bags for the ladies!

By the way that patent is 89 pages long!!!
  • Reply 5 of 53
    I agree. And later in the year and early next year, when most PC's have Vista pre-installed, they'll make their money. I don't see MS worried about Apple's growth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think that's the very problem, they own the personal computer market. While the PC market is still growing, growth opportunities are outside that. I think Apple has realized that is where their future is as well.

I think Vista is to keep their users sufficiently satisfied to not look elsewhere for system software.

• Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Microsoft's "excitable" CEO Steve Ballmer

"excitable"

"excitable"

"excitable" (remix)
  • Reply 7 of 53
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

While the PC market is still growing, growth opportunities are outside that. I think Apple has realized that is where their future is as well.

I agree, Most everyone who could afford a computer has one. Most of the current growth is from falling prices and markets that could not previously afford computers.

Quote:

I agree. And later in the year and early next year, when most PC's have Vista pre-installed, they'll make their money. I don't see MS worried about Apple's growth.

If you make future money from the same people you've made money from in the past there is no growth, your sales are flat.

I agree in the short term MS is not concerned about Apple dominating the entire PC market. But two things MS is concerned about.

- Apple taking too much of the most lucrative parts of the market. The parts of the market that buy $1500 computers and expensive software. For its small size Apple already owns an unproportionally large size of this market. MS does not want a continued trend of loosing more.

- The future battleground will not be in computers. It will be in personal communication devices and multi media gadgets. An area where MS has no competitive advantage and where Apple is making a larger presence. MS current efforts in these markets bring the company no real profit.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Without any other details re: Apple hiring game developer(s), I would assume they're looking to create more iPod (and/or iPhone) games, rather than full blown games for the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

"excitable"

"excitable"

"excitable" (remix)

so disturbing
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree, Most everyone who could afford a computer has one. Most of the current growth is from falling prices and markets that could not previously afford computers.

B.R.I.C. = Brazil, Russia, India & China

There is still growth potential in the US & Europe and Apple is aware of this.

In the 90s a family of 4 shared 1 PC tower.

In the 10s a family of 4 will have 4 MacBooks, 4 iPhones and a iServe

Quote:

If you make future money from the same people you've made money from in the past there is no growth, your sales are flat.

I agree in the short term MS is not concerned about Apple dominating the entire PC market. But two things MS is concerned about.

- Apple taking too much of the most lucrative parts of the market. The parts of the market that buy $1500 computers and expensive software. For its small size Apple already owns an unproportionally large size of this market. MS does not want a continued trend of loosing more.

Like I always like to say...

Apple has 5% of the market, the top 5%!

Quote:

- The future battleground will not be in computers. It will be in personal communication devices and multi media gadgets. An area where MS has no competitive advantage and where Apple is making a larger presence. MS current efforts in these markets bring the company no real profit.

Steve is transforming Apple into the next Sony.

Apple is becoming a consumer electronics company that is selling a digital lifestyle.

The scaled down version of OS X we saw in the iPhone will be in many other devices by the end of the decade.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

And what was it Michael Dell said about Apple a few years back?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Microsoft is growing by expanding into new markets:

Laptop bags for the ladies!

By the way that patent is 89 pages long!!!

Or maybe just handbags, but then again they probably couldn't make a decent one of those either
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Without any other details re: Apple hiring game developer(s), I would assume they're looking to create more iPod (and/or iPhone) games, rather than full blown games for the Mac.

Don't forget AppleTV...the casual gaming market could be huge.

I would love to play SCRABBLE with friends in other states.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illuminati18 View Post

Microsoft's biggest problem is that most of it's customers are waiting for Vista Service Pack 2 before they upgrade.

Only snag is none of the computers currently being made will be able to actually run all of Vista Service Pack 2's features. That's why MS have to wait for technology to advance to cope with the bloat.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Don't forget AppleTV...the casual gaming market could be huge.

I would love to play SCRABBLE with friends in other states.

And Monopoly .... and so on... and all with Core Animation 8)
  • Reply 16 of 53
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There is still growth potential in the US & Europe and Apple is aware of this.

Oh yes, the US and Europe are the largest and wealthiest consumers.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Like I always like to say...

Apple has 5% of the market, the top 5%!

Plus the entire cast of 24!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

"excitable"

"excitable"

"excitable" (remix)

You know, I've never watched Steve Ballmer before, until now.

Spooky. Really spooky.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    The fear with Vista is buying the CD, doing the upgrade and on reboot a bluescreen a death or at best, applications etc not working. I think this is why people are not yet embracing this version, all the DRM/lockdown and vista editions is not helping either.

When you make upgrades and installation painful for legitimate customers due to piracy fears, you do not help

get sales and the Pirates already cracked it anyhow and are using it.

Reports of Vendor drivers not being vista ready and having issues is not providing consumer confidence in the product.

So glad I got off this treadmill this year with my Mac Pro tower purchase
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Plus the entire cast of 24!

And Spooks!! 8) (AKA MI:5)...