Briefly: Feds on ex-Apple execs, Cisco reprieve (again), Parallels RC3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

It's alright, we were all thinking the same thing 8).

VMWare Fusion Beta for Mac has apparently demonstrated this with DirectX8 (some leaked video is out, authenticity unknown AFAIK). VMWare is massive in the corporate space. They've got the skillz to bring out VMWare Fusion for Mac by middle of 2007 with DirectX9.0c hardware accelerated support, + multicore support, + Vista hardware acceleration support.

I think by the end of 2007 we'll have multicore, solid Vista, and full DirectX9.0c hardware acceleration support in virtual machines. Either from Parallels or VMWare or both. 2008 - DirectX10 support.

Also by the end of 2007 - as one of the posters mentioned here or somewhere, smarter memory management - so that instead of the virtual machine "isolating" a chunk of memory you assigned to it, applications and virtual OS will take what they need from the host OS and swap out to disk when not being actively used.

What's so exciting about Macintels right now is that the hardware is there, it's a matter of software catching up. That's a great position to be in, in terms of longevity of Mac hardware, given software upgrading is generally cheaper than eBaying and buying new Macs every 0.5 years or whatever... well, kinda... y'all get my drift...

No one really knows just what those video's were showing. D X 8 is so primitive compared to MS's latest offerings, that emulation, in that jerky way, might not be at all that major. But 9, and now 10, are very different beasts.

With dual core, It's possible that the Dx 8 emulation was being done on one core. That can''t be done with 9 or 10.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I installed it over my current Parallels, and when I tried to open a Win XP machine, it told me that I had installed new hardware, and wanted to look for new drivers. Then it asked for a new video driver, I gave it one from Parallels, and it gave me a black screen. I think that Windows is running under there, but I see only blackness. Anyone else experience this? Waiting for a reply from Parallels.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:

VMWare Fusion Beta for Mac has apparently demonstrated this with DirectX8 (some leaked video is out, authenticity unknown AFAIK). VMWare is massive in the corporate space. They've got the skillz to bring out VMWare Fusion for Mac by middle of 2007 with DirectX9.0c hardware accelerated support, + multicore support, + Vista hardware acceleration support.

Here is a video of 3D supposedly in VMWare - it's always hard to tell if these things are just videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF_CoXsXtk4

I think even DirectX8 will suffice for a lot of people. Some may only want Half-Life 2 and the only option is Crossover, which isn't a great solution for much beyond HL2. 3D support for older games plus full Windows compatibility without rebooting is what a lot of people are looking for. If VMWare does indeed come up with this, I could see Parallels dropped very quickly.

Quote:

What's so exciting about Macintels right now is that the hardware is there, it's a matter of software catching up. That's a great position to be in, in terms of longevity of Mac hardware, given software upgrading is generally cheaper than eBaying and buying new Macs every 0.5 years or whatever... well, kinda... y'all get my drift...

Yeah, but I wish some of the software would catch up quicker. I can't believe that it's been over a year now and major professional software is still PPC. I imagine that all the required software will be updated around the middle of this year and possibly optimized by the end of it but what do professionals do in the mean time?

I do like that there has been some really nice advances from the x86 switch though and I hope we continue to get serious software advances. I'm strongly of the opinion that more focus needs to go on software than hardware. As the OpenGL development shows, just doing something a bit differently can give as much as a double increase in speed and all it takes is one extra line of code or something.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can't believe that it's been over a year now and major professional software is still PPC. I imagine that all the required software will be updated around the middle of this year and possibly optimized by the end of it but what do professionals do in the mean time?

You can't? How long did it take before Adobe got switched to the Power PC from the 680X0 chips? How long before a usable release of an OS X version shipped? We've not waited that long yet. Keep in mind that Apple finished this transition almost a year ahead of schedule. At least the Apps run with Rosetta, whereas there are more applications out there not running at all with Vista and have no time table at all for when they will, I speak specifically of AutoDesk in this case.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You can't? How long did it take before Adobe got switched to the Power PC from the 680X0 chips? How long before a usable release of an OS X version shipped? We've not waited that long yet. Keep in mind that Apple finished this transition almost a year ahead of schedule. At least the Apps run with Rosetta, whereas there are more applications out there not running at all with Vista and have no time table at all for when they will, I speak specifically of AutoDesk in this case.

Actually, PS 2.5.1 came out at about the same time as the first PPC machines came out. And Adobe released filters for the older program that added PPC native speeds.

But, that was much easier. It can't be done that way now.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgep View Post

I installed it over my current Parallels, and when I tried to open a Win XP machine, it told me that I had installed new hardware, and wanted to look for new drivers. Then it asked for a new video driver, I gave it one from Parallels, and it gave me a black screen. I think that Windows is running under there, but I see only blackness. Anyone else experience this? Waiting for a reply from Parallels.

You don't have to always install the latest Parallels Beta. I know it is fun to have the latest, but stick with the stable builds if you are needing a good rock-solid WinXP2Pro virtual machine.

As far as drivers go, all I know how to do is fire up the virtual machine, then "Install Parallels Tools" to get the drivers up to the latest Beta spec.

Anyway the builds that work best for me have been 1970 and Build 3150. 3170 that's just out may still be buggy, you may have to wait for something past that. Try 3150. Coherence works alright in that.