Macbook Pro Reliability

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am a potential switcher that is very close to pulling the trigger on a new Macbook Pro. However, in doing some research I have become very concerned about the reliability of these machines. I see surveys that indicate as many as 1/3 of these have been in for repairs. I also see lots of links about the random shutdown syndrome. Is there any word on whether these issues have been resolved? I haven't really seen an explanation for the shutdown problem or any indication that it was resolved.

Even with these reservations, I had my order form all filled out on the Apple store when I decided to add an extra Magsafe power adapter. I've always had two power adapters for any laptop I own. As I glanced at the description, I notice that the user ratings were very low. I started reading some of them, and was shocked that there was one failure after another with these adapters, far too many to be ignored. Now, I am hesitant to go through with an order. The Macbook Pro seems like a very elegant design, but I don't want the headaches of an unreliable product.

By the way, it is a foregone conclusion that I would get the Applecare warranty with this purchase. However, I need this machine for work, and I can't afford to have it off being repaired. Does Apple make any guarantees on turnaround if a repair is necessary?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I have a new MacBook Pro C2D and have had it for about three months. I was a switcher myself, and had read many of the same reviews about problems they were having but I am convinced they have all been cleared up. I have it on almost everyday, all day except for restarts for software updates and haven't had a single problem with it since the day I bought it. No random shutdowns, no power adapter issues, no heat or noise issues. Not a single issue come to think of it. I would whole hardedly recommend buying the MBP! Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have a core 2 MBP. No problems. RSS was a problem that affected the first MBPs that had Core duos. Nonetheless, I believe that has been straightened out on those machines.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I bought my 17" MBPro C2D 3 months ago. It goes with me everywhere, used for hours on end and with absolutely no problems. My previous laptop was a Titanium Powerbook, it lasted several years of serious abuse. I can only hope this latest addition will survive so long. Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markel View Post

By the way, it is a foregone conclusion that I would get the Applecare warranty with this purchase. However, I need this machine for work, and I can't afford to have it off being repaired. Does Apple make any guarantees on turnaround if a repair is necessary?

Apple is usually pretty quick, but maybe not quick enough for you if you have to have it every day. I don't know if arrangements can be made for a "loaner" or not.

BTW: After nine months, I had my magsafe adapter replaced. Basically the pins didn't push out properly anymore. I wonder if I ought to pack silicone grease into the pin seats if corrosion was the problem, but if it is particulates, I suppose grease might cause more problems.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Thanks for the replies. I hope that RSS is indeed gone. The Magsafe adapter issues are frustrating, but easy to workaround. I hear good things about Apple customer service, but the nearest Apple store for me is an hour away. In general, I'm guessing that service issues will be shipped to Apple. The loss of my machine for even a few days is hard to stomach. I work on my current windows machine all day every day. I will keep it as a backup, but because I'm switching I don't know that having a windows machine around is that much help.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markel View Post

The Macbook Pro seems like a very elegant design, but I don't want the headaches of an unreliable product.

Then don't buy it.

I've maintained a few powerbooks and mac book pros for several clients that rely on the machines everyday and the quality of these Apple products is at all time low right. Not surprising considering Apple is not using very good OEMs to build their machines.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman View Post

Then don't buy it.

I've maintained a few powerbooks and mac book pros for several clients that rely on the machines everyday and the quality of these Apple products is at all time low right. Not surprising considering Apple is not using very good OEMs to build their machines.

I'm reading similar QC complaints about some new digital cameras. Sometimes having everything made on the cheap in China isn't such a good thing. Do you have any experience with the regular Macbooks? I'm trying to get my Mom to purchase her first computer at the same time I switch to a Mac myself (am waiting for Leopard to take the plunge). I just don't want to talk her into getting a new computer that's going to break down on her, especially after I try selling her on the idea of paying more for a Mac because they don't break down like Windows computers do (I guess maybe it's just the software side?) I guess we have to pay extra for Apple Care and hold our breaths?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

I'm reading similar QC complaints about some new digital cameras. Sometimes having everything made on the cheap in China isn't such a good thing. Do you have any experience with the regular Macbooks? I'm trying to get my Mom to purchase her first computer at the same time I switch to a Mac myself (am waiting for Leopard to take the plunge). I just don't want to talk her into getting a new computer that's going to break down on her, especially after I try selling her on the idea of paying more for a Mac because they don't break down like Windows computers do (I guess maybe it's just the software side?) I guess we have to pay extra for Apple Care and hold our breaths?

It's important to remember that the pcs are made in China too. They aren't being put together at a Mercedes plant in Germany. Buy Apple care and don't look back.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    [QUOTE=backtomac;1046723]It's important to remember that the pcs are made in China too.QUOTE]

Oh I know. It's hard to find anything that isn't these days! Just wondered if Macbooks were any worse than other laptops.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Just wondered if Macbooks were any worse than other laptops.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2006499,00.asp
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I bought a second-hand 17" MacBook Pro four weeks ago. It was six months old so still under warranty. The display had the patchy discolouration fault some people have reported, so I took it in to get it replaced under warranty. Sure I had to wait a week to get it back but I've got a perfect brand new display so I can't complain.

Moral of the story...most faults will become apparent within the first year under warranty. If you're not satisfied with that get the extended warranty. I have NOT experienced anything like random shut downs or other problems. This is a great laptop that I'm sure will last for for years if treated well.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I wouldn't let those reports stop me. I have a C2D and have had no problems. I think some of the earlier ones had potential issues, but I think they are likely cleared up by now.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I, too, am quite suddenly in the market for a new MBP; my PB has called it quits after 3 years of serious abuse (the MagSafe adapter should keep my next machine functioning longer than this one)... Thankfully I have a backup of the HD on another disk that I can then use to migrate to a new machine.

I perused Apple's Discussion Board and did not find that many problmes (a couple of very boisterous complainers on a couple of machines, but I have also had my bad runs).

What is the current status of the MBP? Buy or Don't Buy?

Also, how soon do we think an upgraded version will be out and what is the play call for Leopard?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Macintouch regularly does reliability reports and this is what they have on the MBPs.

SDWs machine falls into the second set which had far fewer repairs. NAy new buyers would be in this group, too.

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks2.html
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Any recent MBP buyer feel their screen is grainy?

My wife's MB's screen is better than my 23" Apple Display... (IMO...OC)
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Berg,

I've a MBP core 2 and it's been fabulous. If I needed one now I'd get it. I know Santa Rosa is around the corner but from what I read on another thread it doesn't look like something I'd wait for if I were in the maket for a MBP. The most important feature improvement may well be the better integrated graphics and that's a non-issue if you're looking at a MBP. Yes the faster clock speed, up to 2.4ghz, and faster FSB are nice but I wouldn't hold out for them. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Do you have the matte or the glossy screen?

My wife's MB is glossy and it is fabulous at home; had a few minutes at a shop today looking at a matte 17" and it seemed a little dull in comparison but didn't reflect the lights that were behind me.

The main reason I have to consider the MBP over the MB is the size of my hands. The MB, being almost the same size as the 12" PB I used to have, is painful to use (nowhere to rest my hands beside the keyboard). Of course, I also like the real estate; I use Aperture a lot now and the bigger the screen the better (but not 17").
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Do you have the matte or the glossy screen?

My wife's MB is glossy and it is fabulous at home; had a few minutes at a shop today looking at a matte 17" and it seemed a little dull in comparison but didn't reflect the lights that were behind me.

The main reason I have to consider the MBP over the MB is the size of my hands. The MB, being almost the same size as the 12" PB I used to have, is painful to use (nowhere to rest my hands beside the keyboard). Of course, I also like the real estate; I use Aperture a lot now and the bigger the screen the better (but not 17").

I've got the matte screen which I like but it's just a personal preference. I've some pc laptops at work with the glossy screen and I wanted to try the matte screen. I think I like the matte screen better but I could easily work with either. How do you like Aperature? I thinking of trying it or lightroom.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I went with the matte. I was really considering glossy, and it does look fabulous. I just think the glare would drive me nuts.

As for my machine, it was purchased in October. It think that would put in the first batch of C2Ds?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I can't speak for the Apple glossy vs matte displays, but I see PC laptops with the glossy displays frequently. They are nice for some things, but in an office environment, they drive me nuts with the office lights. I know it's a personal preference, but I find the glossy displays extremely irritating. I can only work at certain angles with them.