Apple may host Leopard event, intro ultra-portables, bring iPhone to Best Buy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Traditional reckoning of seasons nowadays is only usually used in Pagan Revivalist "Religions" such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca .
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Um, WWDC is in eary June, which, last time I looked, is not summer, anywhere. I don't recall Steve-o promising early-mid spring, just saying spring. So WWDC is a possibility.

I think in California anyway, from a little that I know, Spring means March, April, May.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear onlooker & Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Yeah, like Mac Pros with 33' cinema displays.

Do we have any part numbers from any potential OEM suppliers for a 33" display?

I ask because I'm curious as to whether we'll see updated displays offered with the next Mac Pro.

If I may ask a second question, what do you consider the likelihood is of seeing 3.0GHz quad-core chips by the end of April?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 44 of 53
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Oh for crying out loud!

This is at least the fourth thread I've seen this STUPID argument in. Let it go people.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Spring starts when Steve says it does.

So if he says August, please adjust your RDF accordingly. That is all.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    So, look for the iBook to be reborn in a smaller form factor. Bridging the gap between the MacBook and the iPhone/iPod (the multi-touch iPod that's got to be forthcoming).

Finally, the technology is here to make the tablet pc form factor palatable to His Steveness. Sorry ModBook people, when Apple's new iBook tablet comes out your market is going to crash.

===

sqribbles.blogspot.com
  • Reply 47 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scstsut View Post

So, look for the iBook to be reborn in a smaller form factor. Bridging the gap between the MacBook and the iPhone/iPod (the multi-touch iPod that's got to be forthcoming).

Finally, the technology is here to make the tablet pc form factor palatable to His Steveness. Sorry ModBook people, when Apple's new iBook tablet comes out your market is going to crash.

===

sqribbles.blogspot.com

I really don't think we'll be seeing any new product lines from Apple until the AppleTV and iPhone take hold of their perspective markets. Too many new options can hamper sales.

However, I do expect to see some needed revisions of current product lines.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

What features do people want in a ultra-portable? Can anyone give an example of an ultra-portable on the PC side? Do they sell well.

I think a true "ultraportable" is generally considered to something like the Sony TX series.

I'm hoping for something more like the SZ series, which is a little heavier and more powerful, but either one will work for me.

More than anything I just want to KNOW what we're getting and when we're getting it. I need to get a computer this year (though not necessarily right NOW), and it'd be nice to know if this computer, whatever it ends up being, will be what I need.

Cheers

P.S. Oh, and can we drop the "June is/isn't summer" debate? Many people in the US consider June to be summer because most of our schools let out for summer holidays in May, so when we're young we think of June as being part of our summer. The concept carries into adulthood. Despite that, "summer" doesn't officially start until late June usually and most of us are aware of that. I think someone said it's June 21st for this go. Either way, it's irrelevent. I took the statement in the article to mean that we might see an announcement before WWDC.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scstsut View Post

===

sqribbles.blogspot.com

I'm thinking NO TABLET 8) until the iPhone is more "stabilised" in mid 2008. But you have a point, there are clear portable spaces to be filled: 12" or less (10" or 11") ultraportable [with keyboard, maybe screen is "touchable", i doubt it though]... and of course 15.4" wide 1280x800 MacBook. 8-core MacPro in WWDC. By then I think it will be the dual-CPU with 4 cores per CPU Intel chip.</rambling>
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmcgann11 View Post

Spring starts when Steve says it does.

So if he says August, please adjust your RDF accordingly. That is all.

Good one. I'm modelling March to be a very painful month as rumours start to heat to boiling point before the inevitable end of March/1st week April *latest* [IMHO] announcements. No further releases then (except hardware bump ups) until WWDC June 2006. Peace out
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

"We believe Apple is likely to hold another event by April or May to launch Leopard and/or other new Mac products (models with larger displays at least)," analyst Ben Reitzes wrote in a note to clients this week. "We continue to believe Leopard may include several key features not previously previewed revolving around the digital home and telephony, driving demand for new products such as Apple TV and the iPhone."

Note to analyst Ben Reitzes:

Apple -MAY- do all sorts of things. Speculating on what Apple might do is just speculation, i.e. neither informed, analytical or useful.

Stick to the FACTS or state that Apple is so obscure that it is impossible to form an opinion on the value of its stock or the prospect of future market share or products.

In the alternative, you -MAY- state that Apple is so obscure that it is hiding something. That would be true and serve as a cautionary advice to investors: Unless you like speculative stocks, stay away from Apple whose future is very much up in the air with current SEC investigations and coming shareholder class action lawsuits.

• Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

...In the alternative, you -MAY- state that Apple is so obscure that it is hiding something. That would be true and serve as a cautionary advice to investors: Unless you like speculative stocks, stay away from Apple whose future is very much up in the air with current SEC investigations and coming shareholder class action lawsuits.

It is frustrating because analysts are in a position to say all sorts of stuff that a lot of n00b investors and pro investors take very seriously, because they just don't have the time and/or geek factor to dissect Apple the way we do.

That said, Apple's strategy is not too speculative at this stage. In fact, it's the least speculative ever. Intel has a clear 65nm and 45nm CPU roadmap. Apple will take bites out of this (pun unintended) so we know roughly the computing power 0.5 to 5 years down the line! During the PowerPC days, it was like, WTF IS GOING ON???

Apple has pre-announced the iPhone, the longest pre-announcement ever, AFAIK. The have announced the name change. iPod sales have a distinct trend. Profits and Revenues have a distinct trend. Leopard features are pre-announced (aside from the really really good Vista-smashing stuff - not that Leopard or even Tiger as we know it doesn't already beat the crap out of Crapsta) and arrival dates are roughly known. Adobe has finally come close to completing and delivering the important (high profit margin target audience) Creative Suite 3 Universal Binary.

Apple, Inc. has a very bright future and a lot of upside potential due to the above and many other factors (halo effect, Vista's annoying features, Vista cost, etc.). We also know that the analysts will be pushing the stock to move past $100 to $120 or $130 by middle of the year or end of the year if possible. This is because they clearly got a lot (more) in at the recent dips of $60-$70 and low-$80s.

The only thing that is problematic is the FBI San Francisco and SEC investigations. But we do know the Apple internal audit found some people to blame. So the downside risk of these investigations does hang over Apple, but it is possible current management will not be seriously affected.

I honestly believe what I've said in this post is more than enough compared to all the I agree, speculative analyst bullsh1t-talk. I've laid out avenues to explore, and left it up to the investor to decide for themselves how risky it is, what chances there are, in stuff like the iPhone tanking and SEC/FBI taking Steve Jobs down.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    scstsutscstsut Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...there are clear portable spaces to be filled: 12" or less (10" or 11") ultraportable [with keyboard, maybe screen is "touchable", i doubt it though]...

Apple will definately be putting Multi-Touch into their other products. iPod will be similar to the iPhone, if they do make a tablet (I expect it but I'm not saying soon) it will have MT, even clamshell formfactor laptops will have MT and I wouldn't be suprised if their cinema displays are made MT as well.