Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    Ummm, I did not care for it. :Hello" IMHO was a bit lame, did not show anything about its capabilities.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Ummm, I did not care for it. :Hello" IMHO was a bit lame, did not show anything about its capabilities.

pretty sure you know what it does already. This was about exposure to the general public. Prolly not for posters on Apple Insider.
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You did see the various links at http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/...during-oscars/ , right?

Followed this link to various versions of the commercial. I believe it was the #5, the HD version, I checked out cuz it was nice, clear and big. I see at the end when they show the iPhone that the carrier designation next to the signal strength bar now reads at&t (the old Cingular)
  • Reply 44 of 112
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I mean, you wouldn't vote a highly qualified new commander who wrote the book on insurgencies to head the forces in Iraq and then tell him his plan sucks and the troop increase this new commander requested is meeting with every road block politically possible, but the politicians wish him all the best in his new assignment and er, oh wait, the newly elected democratic party majority, did just that. Scratch that AND "Here's your sign!"

You would if his Commander-in-Chief and the former ruling party screwed up the last 4 years so badly that 70% of the democracy felt the need to make their views known through their elected officials.

Ooops, I guess only some folks expressing political views are miscreants. BTW, most ex-military (like Generals Zinni, Clarke and the hundereds who protested the Rumsfeld strategy) and those who I know admit honestly that the soldiers in Iraq are not babies, they do their job and are fine with the fact that politicians do theirs even if they debate the way the war is being run. The new commander will get everything he needs to prove his plan, just not a blank check.

... and now for best supporting actor ... oh, man I missed the ad while typing this mini rant.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    i think this made a great teaser commercial. expect a better commercial in june.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Followed this link to various versions of the commercial. I believe it was the #5, the HD version, I checked out cuz it was nice, clear and big. I see at the end when they show the iPhone that the carrier designation next to the signal strength bar now reads at&t

yeah, Cingular was acquired by AT&T a while ago.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    They just aired it again.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I think it was great! Why, because it DIDN'T detail any of it's features. It did what the the iconographic "hi!" did for the original Mac. Of course they probably couldn't actually show the word "hello" on the screen of the iPhone because that wouldn't have been a true representation of the graphic capabilities of the device, but i bet that was the metaphor.

Feature sets will come later ... this is 1984 all over again ... at least to Steve.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They just aired it again.

Pathetic ad..... not up to Apple's usual standards.

(In fact, here I was, wondering where the ad was, went over to Ai to see if there is a link, and it came on just as I started to type!)
  • Reply 50 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, Cingular was acquired by AT&T a while ago.

As I recall, Cingular acquired AT&T wireless and then chaged its name to AT&T. It was the Monday after the iPhone's annoncement that the name "officially" changed to AT&T.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    Just saw it, great ad. These kinds of simple commercials are so much more effective than other phone makers ads. I mean the business world knows what it can do...they know what the Blackjack and Q does. They know the feature list, and everyone else doesn't care. So how is the blackjack marketing to the people that want a cool phone? They aren't.

Apple on the other hand, seems to know the business world will know what their phone can do, and they market to the larger group of people...the family who wants a nice looking, working, lasting phone. That is innovative enough that they can tell Mr. and Mrs. Smith across the road that they have this new amazing piece of technology.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    Such a great Ad. So smart.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pathetic ad..... not up to Apple's usual standards.

It was spot on for it's intended purpose and audience: a teaser ad during the Academy Awards.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I recall, Cingular acquired AT&T wireless and then chaged its name to AT&T. It was the Monday after the iPhone's annoncement that the name "officially" changed to AT&T.

o ok, it was kinda confusing to me. Thanks for clearing it up.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Feature sets will come later ... this is 1984 all over again ... at least to Steve.

THAT captures the essence of the two major problems with the iPhone..... a little too much "later" and a little too much "Steve."

I am already tired of this product. Unless the June intro is a major step forward from what was promised in Jan, I am waiting for the next gen (my guess, pre-Christmas).
  • Reply 56 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Just saw it, great ad. These kinds of simple commercials are so much more effective .......

Simple? Effective? An ad that strings together a bunch of cliche Hollywood actors, pandering to a night of/for Hollywood actors?

Nah.... it screams to the average consumer, "you're not worthy of this product."
  • Reply 57 of 112
    Here's another link....

http://www.fregtk.com/iPhone%20Ad.mov
  • Reply 58 of 112
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I am already tired of this product. Unless the June intro is a major step forward from what was promised in Jan, I am waiting for the next gen (my guess, pre-Christmas).

WOW, you're hard to please!

I mean, since SJ announced it, only two commercials have aired and only about 20 reviewers have even been able to touch it. Everyone says its not simply the features that make it outstanding, but how it all works.

How can you possibly "Meh" it already.

I can't see myself running out to drop $600 when it (finally) arrives, but I'm keeping an open mind to be impressed...
  • Reply 59 of 112
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I popped it up on my .Mac site if anyone missed the commercial in widescreen: Click here
  • Reply 60 of 112
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Simple? Effective? An ad that strings together a bunch of cliche Hollywood actors, pandering to a night of/for Hollywood actors?

Nah.... it screams to the average consumer, "you're not worthy of this product."

I hate to be contrarian, but I don't see that either.

This is an add that will be seen mostly by movie buffs based on the venue. If they are like me, they will have an emotional connection to many of those clips. After the first 10, I was totally hooked and excited to see which actors/movies would show up next. By the time the iPhone showed up, it was the perfect TA DA! My positive emotional attachments to those movies were immediately tied into that phone. Meanwhile, it was all strung together with the simple greating "hello" or some variant.

It gave me a welcoming vibe.

Im not sure what issues you must have to come away thinking "I'm not worthy"