Goldman: iPhone to drive 'next big growth phase' for Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not what Jobs said. He NEVER said that there would be no third party apps on the phone. He said that they would be approved by Apple, indicating that Apple would decide which ones make it.

I'm still not happy about the limitation, but third party software will be allowed.

I think yeah, there will be some opening up, but with very close monitoring and approval regimes initially. However, there is a move towards getting developers [developers, developers, developers ] to think about Leopard OSX Lite. The future platform of the iPod Video[coverflow touchscreen], iPhone, ??Subnotebook etc??..........
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Don't forget that most iPods sold are either Nano's, or the much smaller Shuffles.

Most cannibalization will come from one of those camps, with the majority likely coming from the Nano buyers.

They will simply think of the iPhone as a Nano with a phone.

5G owners will look at the memory drop as a downgrade, and many will either not buy, or will buy both. Shuffle owners might find it to be too expensive, and more than they need.

As you and some other posters may or may not have hinted, the cannibalisation mentioned above is a bit silly because the iPod Video 5G will be bumped to 6G Touchscreen iPod Video running OSXLeopard Lite. With CoverFlow, etc. So the iPhone will be a premium above the iPod Video 6G, or some sort of mixture there with people wanting both, or one or the other, etc.

The analyst report has two problems. Firstly, having almost NO information on post-iPhone-announcement surveys. Secondly, assuming that the iPhone will be released against the current crop of iPod lineup. The iPod lineup will be tweaked appropriately to do what it always needs to do, now with the iPhone: upsell people up the line for those that can afford it, entry-level-drug-bait those wanting to buy in cheap, push iPhones out the door like crazy, get people buying an iPhone + a simpler iPod, and of course, maximising profit margins while managing sustainable growth and still deliverying a reasonable quality of service, after-sales support, etc.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

hold on a moment, i have to reboot my phone

I just spent the afternoon with a friend that has a Nokia N73. She just got a Symbian update for $30 from the Nokia service rep somewhere in town (she doesn't have resources or a PC to do it herself)... She's pretty annoyed so far with the slow response and "glugginess" of the OS. For a mobile where you want quick responses and something real reliable.

I bought a Dell Axim in 2004, had it for a week, waste of time and waste of my life. Rubbish. eBayed it off.

PDA+Phone in iPhone: Leopard OSXLite. Let us pray o iLeader that it be fast, teh snappy™, responsive and STABLE. amen.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, alot of restarting the phone becuase of apps freezing the phone.

Then maybe Apple should use the same logic and lock down their macs to keep off thrid-party apps. I mean, a bad app brings down that too. Or does that not count? To me, the argument is just self-serving to apple's interest in controlling everything that gets on the phone (gee, and how's that different then the cell phone companies?)
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:

Don't forget that most iPods sold are either Nano's, or the much smaller Shuffles.

Most cannibalization will come from one of those camps, with the majority likely coming from the Nano buyers.

They will simply think of the iPhone as a Nano with a phone.

5G owners will look at the memory drop as a downgrade, and many will either not buy, or will buy both. Shuffle owners might find it to be too expensive, and more than they need.

I can't really see that. Nanos are $150-$200. Add $300-$450 just for phone capabilities?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, alot of restarting the phone becuase of apps freezing the phone.

BTW, I thought this phone is running OS X Lite. Exactly what about OS X Lite (vs. OS X, I guess) will cause it to become so unstable that it can kill the whole device. I guess you're saying OS X isn't up to the task of not crashing due to one bad app?
  • Reply 47 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I can't really see that. Nanos are $150-$200. Add $300-$450 just for phone capabilities?

While I agree that the price jump is steep, but it's a lot more than just adding phone capabilities.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As you and some other posters may or may not have hinted, the cannibalisation mentioned above is a bit silly because the iPod Video 5G will be bumped to 6G Touchscreen iPod Video running OSXLeopard Lite. With CoverFlow, etc. So the iPhone will be a premium above the iPod Video 6G, or some sort of mixture there with people wanting both, or one or the other, etc.

The analyst report has two problems. Firstly, having almost NO information on post-iPhone-announcement surveys. Secondly, assuming that the iPhone will be released against the current crop of iPod lineup. The iPod lineup will be tweaked appropriately to do what it always needs to do, now with the iPhone: upsell people up the line for those that can afford it, entry-level-drug-bait those wanting to buy in cheap, push iPhones out the door like crazy, get people buying an iPhone + a simpler iPod, and of course, maximising profit margins while managing sustainable growth and still deliverying a reasonable quality of service, after-sales support, etc.

Those are VERY good points. Bravo. 8)

I for one can't wait until 6G Touchscreen iPods are available (though I do prefer flash storage to hard drives).

Even if I don't personally buy one (I may; I certainly will once there's a flash one), it'll be fun to see a stake driven through the already limping corpse that is the Zune. What spin will Ballmer put on that?