iTunes popularity to surpass RealPlayer by mid-year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:

The firm, which extrapolated data provided by Nielsen/NetRatings in reaching its conclusions, added that iTunes should pass RealPlayer in unique users by the second quarter of 2007.

AppleInsider posted the same story almost exactly a year ago citing the same sources. \

Quote:

According to recent data from Nielsen NetRatings and Apple, unique users of Apple's iTunes player passed QuickTime in mid-2005, and at its current growth rate should pass RealPlayer by mid-2006.

• Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

AppleInsider posted the same story almost exactly a year ago citing the same sources. \

Well, looks like they were right. If you eyeball that handy graph, it looks like iTunes would have passed Real in 2006 if its growth had remained at the same rate as 2005. However, its rate of growth slipped a notch (and real got a slight uptick), postponing the inevitable for maybe a year.

Note, in your quote they did say "at its current growth rate." Past perfomance does not guarentee future results and all that...
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Don't hate me, but I love RealPlayer. It has many useful features that iTunes doesn't.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Don't hate me, but I love RealPlayer.

I don't particularly love it, but I don't see what's wrong either. Can someone explain why such hate in this thread? It is because it is just another non-Apple application for viewing its own file format? Something else?
  • Reply 25 of 59
    at least on the Major League Baseball site. I never had problems all the years they used Real to stream radio broadcasts of games. Last year they switched to WMA, and I had nothing but trouble. Without changing any settings from one game to the next, it was hit and miss as far as actually being able to listen to a ball game was concerned.

Dave
  • Reply 26 of 59
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I remember real player being very intrusive, with constant ads to upgrade (for money), and it was a pain to use. I hated it, and didn't have it on my computer for years. But last year I downloaded the new version, and I have to say it's not like it use to be, and it works well. There are a lot of preferences to change, though, to turn off notifications, cookies, and other intrusive stuff, but the good news is that once you turn it all off, it still works and doesn't bother you.

I still wish real media would go away, though - I'd much rather Quicktime was everywhere.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't particularly love it, but I don't see what's wrong either. Can someone explain why such hate in this thread? It is because it is just another non-Apple application for viewing its own file format? Something else?

I'd rather be gang-raped in the ass by angry monkeys than use Real Player again. What could anyone like about the way that company operates? I was reminded, just the other day, how much I hate them when I came to a site where there was some video (I think) that wanted to use Real Player. I decided that I would install the damned thing (it's been a couple of years since the last time I had RP on my computer).

The first thing I was greeted with when attempting to install was a registration page: why the fuck does Real need me to set up an account with them (email address -- [email protected] -- name, postal code, etc) to install their software? Then once it was installed I had to go mucking around in the Windows Configuration Utility to remove RP from the automatic start-up programs -- a gripe I also have with QuickTime, actually (no I don't want to load your damned program into memory every time I start-up on the off-chance that I'll need to play some media that is only viewable with RP!). Then I had to go through the list of registered file-types to reset the default applications by filetype (for god's sake, I want to open mp3s with iTunes, not RP!). On top of which, when I plugged my iPod into my computer, RP even high-jacked that and asked if I'd like to synch using RP (NO!).

I swear, if I ever meet a Real employee, I'll eviscerated them with a spoon. I didn't even watch the video I was after because it didn't work, and I proceeded to un-install RP with much cursing and glee, and promising myself that I will never, ever, EVER install Real Player on my system again!

Does that answer your question?

EDIT: I just remembered a quote by Frank Herbert which sums up my feelings on Real

"Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy." [from Dune]
  • Reply 28 of 59
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Another question: why is a story about iTunes and Real Player in the Current Hardware section of the forums?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I'd rather be gang-raped in the ass by angry monkeys than use Real Player again. What could anyone like about the way that company operates? I was reminded, just the other day, how much I hate them when I came to a site where there was some video (I think) that wanted to use Real Player. I decided that I would install the damned thing (it's been a couple of years since the last time I had RP on my computer).

The first thing I was greeted with when attempting to install was a registration page: why the fuck does Real need me to set up an account with them (email address -- [email protected] -- name, postal code, etc) to install their software? Then once it was installed I had to go mucking around in the Windows Configuration Utility to remove RP from the automatic start-up programs -- a gripe I also have with QuickTime, actually (no I don't want to load your damned program into memory every time I start-up on the off-chance that I'll need to play some media that is only viewable with RP!). Then I had to go through the list of registered file-types to reset the default applications by filetype (for god's sake, I want to open mp3s with iTunes, not RP!). On top of which, when I plugged my iPod into my computer, RP even high-jacked that and asked if I'd like to synch using RP (NO!).

I swear, if I ever meet a Real employee, I'll eviscerated them with a spoon. I didn't even watch the video I was after because it didn't work, and I proceeded to un-install RP with much cursing and glee, and promising myself that I will never, ever, EVER install Real Player on my system again!

Does that answer your question?

Yes and no. If I understand correctly all this frustration is about using RP under Windows. The Mac version, from what I can remember, is much more friendly. Not sure about Linux, but I have a friend who uses it daily (Linux version) and loves it.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:

Another question: why is a story about iTunes and Real Player in the Current Hardware section of the forums?

Drunken automation tools? Don't worry, someone will move it where it belongs.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Real Player is popular? More popular than itunes? Wow I didn't know that, I didn't even know they were still a big contender since like 2002. I always hated real player when I was win user and hear that people choose to use it boggles my mind.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:

I'd rather be gang-raped in the ass by angry monkeys than use Real Player again....

Quote:

...(email address -- [email protected] -- name, postal code, etc)

Quote:

"Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy." [from Dune]

THIS HAS GOT TO BE the best post in Ai for Feb 2007. Well done. You've collected all our hate and expressed it in words almost too beautiful to behold.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:

... The Mac version, from what I can remember, is much more friendly.....

It's pretty sucky too. Installed it on my parents' iBook G4 933mhz 10.3.9 -- for nasa.gov videos, etc...

Crashes sometimes, streaming is nothing to write home about, etc. It needs to die.

Sorry REAL employees, I know a job's a job, but really, you're HURTING people. Please stop.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's pretty sucky too. Installed it on my parents' iBook G4 933mhz 10.3.9 -- for nasa.gov videos, etc...

Crashes sometimes, streaming is nothing to write home about, etc. It needs to die.

Sorry REAL employees, I know a job's a job, but really, you're HURTING people. Please stop.

Well, crashes etc. is one thing, but the "aggressiveness" that Denton described previously is an altogether different game.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post

at least on the Major League Baseball site. I never had problems all the years they used Real to stream radio broadcasts of games. Last year they switched to WMA, and I had nothing but trouble. Without changing any settings from one game to the next, it was hit and miss as far as actually being able to listen to a ball game was concerned.

Dave

Welcome, Dave.

So you had that trouble too? I ended up canceling my MLB subscription all together last year because I could not get the video. I got a part of one game, and it froze never to return. I dont suppose (with a name like Pittsburgh) you would sympathise with my plight, but I live half a county (15 miles) from the Phillies broadcast area. Can't see a game if they are not playing the Yankees or Mets...
  • Reply 36 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbravo556 View Post

Isn't iTunes just another front end for Quicktime? Shouldn't both be grouped under Quicktime streaming?

That was my exact same reaction on reading this.

p.s. Nice to read an entire thread without the usual Trolls inserting how much better Winblows Media Center is! :lol
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Welcome, Dave.

I dont suppose (with a name like Pittsburgh) you would sympathise with my plight, but I live half a county (15 miles) from the Phillies broadcast area. Can't see a game if they are not playing the Yankees or Mets...

Oh but I do - simply on the level of a baseball fan who has long (15 years) been outside of the local broadcast area. Shoot, the Phillies may even make an appearance or two on national tv. Can't remember the last time the Bucs have (given their 14 year streak of losing seasons, it isn't surprising).

I'm going to give it one more shot this season, falling back on a Windows laptop if need be.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post

...... falling back on a Windows laptop if need be....

*kshshshsshksarghghg* *hunts for crucifix, garlic, stake, etc....*
  • Reply 39 of 59
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

from the article...

"QuickTime users total just shy of 14 million."

There are over 20 million users of OS X and each one has QuickTime. As "eAi" points out above, every Winblows user who has iTunes installed also has QuickTime installed.

Just 14 million?

There is a difference between Users and people who just have it. However, these numbers do look strange....

Sebastian
  • Reply 40 of 59
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Well unless you buy the Pro version or whatever, Real likes to bombard you with Ads.

Otherwise it's a nice App, but not one I'm going to use.

Sebastian