iPhone interest said to be larger than market anticipates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps that is a better situation to be in than MS must be in with warehouses full of unsold brown Zunes

Thanks for reminding us of the Zune....

I kind of miss all the Zune discussions.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    100% of me wants an iPhone, but 100% of me isn't getting one.

Quote:

We believe Apple will introduce new, lower-priced iPhones in late 2007 or 2008, making the product more attractive to a wider range of users," she wrote, noting her view that the $200-$300 range would represent the "sweet spot" for mass adoption.

It just occured to me that Apple could quite easily change the name of this Phone to iPhone Pro upon release, and later in the year when they better damn release a simple music playing phone, they could call that iPhone? Either that or they will indeed keep the name of this device iPhone and the smaller, less feature, cheaper, music playing phone they will stick to calling that iPhone monkeybucket. $300, 4 or 8 gigs, perfect!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

100% of me wants an iPhone, but 100% of me isn't getting one.

It just occured to me that Apple could quite easily change the name of this Phone to iPhone Pro upon release, and later in the year when they better damn release a simple music playing phone, they could call that iPhone? Either that or they will indeed keep the name of this device iPhone and the smaller, less feature, cheaper, music playing phone they will stick to calling that iPhone monkeybucket. $300, 4 or 8 gigs, perfect!

I'm hoping you're joking about that.

The last thing we need is a phone with a "Pro" in the name.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Perhaps you would also like Apple to arrange for water to flow uphill.

If that is what it would take to just get you 'interested', what on earth would it take to get you excited.

Some people would get excited if Apple introduced paper in the shape of the Apple logo. That just isn't me.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

and later in the year when they better damn release a simple music playing phone,

I think thats what the iPhone is
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Perhaps you would also like Apple to arrange for water to flow uphill.

If that is what it would take to just get you 'interested', what on earth would it take to get you excited.

Boring, it's too expensive and underfeatured. I'm not buying until they get it too the moon. While paying me.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

It all depends on how and whom you ask - this seems closer in line to reality - bam out of the gate, it is clearly the MUST HAVE status symbol of 2007 and it will sell like crazy in June through the holidays - presumbaly Apple will also introduce a widescreen ipod so it will be a merry holidays for Apple (not to mention the refreshed computer line).

Well, it isn't clearly a MUST HAVE symbol for the holidays. Everyone thought the PS3 was going to a must have, and now they can't get rid of them.

But you're first point is right on. The biggest question with any survey is how the questions are asked. Most people (not including the "Gots to follow everything Apple crowd" know that Apple has a phone coming out. That's basically it. Maybe they've seen apple's commercial on TV. But do they know its feature set? Do they know its $500? You can take from the results that the majority do not realize its a 'smart phone' (since so many more are interested in one then are planning on buying or own a smartphone).

So, did they just ask people "Are you interested in the ipHone?" or "Apple's releasing an iPhone that does such and such, will cost $500-$600, and requires you to use Cingular. Are you interested?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

Yes, $599 is not "cheap," but I've been to dinners where that was spent by 2 people so what is cheap or expensive?

If you don't think $600 for a meal is expensive, come on over to my place. I'll heat you up some TV dinners and you can pay me $600! I can't see any meal worth $300 per person. But, hey, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Everything is relative, Louzer. I highly doubt they were getting TV dinners for that...

Some people earn multi-millions and to them it's like most people buying TV dinners, relatively speaking of course.

Heck, some people go and by $1,000 bottles of wine on top of a dinner that is a few hundred.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    grayumgrayum Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I'm interested in buying a Helicopter, but that don't mean I am getting one. Just let the phone be released and we'll see.

hmmmm, the financial reach of the average person is much closer to buying an iPhone than a helicopter.....
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    People on this forum and others are not the general consensus of the population. We are all geeks and nerds.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

I can't see any meal worth $300 per person. But, hey, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.

Yep!!
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jbelkinjbelkin Posts: 74member
    It's not been a good year ... er ... good 3 years for Sony. But the PS3 is a perfect example of how not to launch a product. First you build up a huge must have, me-wantee factor - if nothing else, there are several million parents who would've bought their kids one just to prove how resourceful or how they can afford their kid "the best."

I am not making a value judgment on whether such parenting is good or bad - just looking at it from a sales standpoint.

So, you build up this HUGE demand and what do you do - sure, it's fun to have a limited supply on day one in the stores - the news will sheep like line up to report that and give you more free pub - all good - and you create the sense of urgency and the "hunt."

But you are allowed a couple weeks of this fun before you must deliver the goods. If you're selling Ferraris', it's fine to "sell out," but not any mass market product because it serves no purpose to continue to generate PR - you must actually generate sales.

Sony failed and eventually people didn't care at all anymore - Apple is presumably smarter than Sony. The pre-order period should give them a good indication of how many will sell without another word or in store demo ... And the PS3 was limiting in that it was hard to actually show off until they are physically at your house - the iphone is something people will go to a meeting, set it in front of them and go through a showy motion to turn it off or set it to vibrate. You can call that person names but tell me you if you were first in your office with one, you would hide it under the desk.

I'm not saying conspicuous consumption is good or bad, it's just the fact of this society - the iphone WILL sell like crazy for the first 6 months - after that, it will depend - does it become the ipod2 where the right UI means people are willing to pay for it?

Also, keep in mind, Apple is smarter than the other cell companies when it comes to retaining the value of the iphone - look at the RAZR - in one year, Moto let others drive the perceived value from around $300 to some figure below zero now. For everyone who paid $300 or more, Moto makes you look like an idiot ... some companies just don't get it.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm hoping you're joking about that.

The last thing we need is a phone with a "Pro" in the name.

If a low-end iPhone comes out, it should be called "iPhone nano". Just like the hugely successful low-end iPods.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post

If a low-end iPhone comes out, it should be called "iPhone nano". Just like the hugely successful low-end iPods.

No that's the mid range version, the low end is the iPhone Shuffle. You can't select who you call, it just calls those on your list at random