Quark Prez: "Waiting on OS X Quark? Then switch to InDesign!" - naked mole Rat

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here's the text copied from macrumors.com. It's a reply by the made by Quark communications manager to the comments wade on NMR. I think he was set on making the situation worse that it was already:

Simply put, Quark is not shifting its focus away from the Mac platform. Our focus remains on helping our customers solve their business problems. We will continue to support the platforms our customers want to use. We'll develop software for Mac OS and Windows as our customers want to use those platforms.

If you cut through the purple prose, you'll see that a handful of comments have been taken out of context and re-cast in an unflattering manner by an anonymous writer who was not present at the event during which they were allegedly spoken.

Let me bring back some of the context. The fact of the matter is that the publishing industry is hurting. Ad revenues are down globally -- down as much as 70% in some regions. Look on any newsstand and you'll see that there are far fewer titles than there were two years ago, and page counts are down across the spectrum. Major dailies across the nation are closing bureaus and merging departments. Ad firms are fighting for business while corporations cut spending and bring work in house. Publishing is in a crisis. There is only one major software company that I know that has dedicated 100% of its resources to publishing: Quark. The technologies that we talked about in New York are designed to help publishers do more with fewer resources without sacrificing quality.

With respect to Mac OS, our market data indicates that fewer publishers are purchasing Macs, and more of our Mac-using customers are considering switching to Windows. That doesn't mean we're any less committed to Mac OS. Mac users constitute the majority of our customer base. We will continue to support Mac OS (and Windows) as long as they are the platforms of choice by our customers.

The Mac OS X version of QuarkXPress is far along in its development cycle, but there is still a lot more testing to do before we release it. We're working to bring that release to you as quickly as possible without sacrificing quality. It will be a high quality application with some paradigm-shifting new features and consequently represents a significant development and testing effort that simply takes time.

The anonymous writer points out that Mac OS X Server is not on the agenda for the version of QPS that uses a Microsoft SQL Server database or for Quark Digital MediaSystem, which uses an Oracle database. There's an obvious reason. Neither Microsoft SQL Server nor Oracle runs on Mac OS X. What they omitted is that we emphatically stated that the clients for both these publishing systems will run on Mac OS X.

In fact, the relationship between Quark and Apple is closer than it has been in years, and I think that the industry will be pleasantly surprised by some of the initiatives that Quark and Apple will bring to the market in the near future.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

Glen Turpin

Communications Manager, Quark, Inc.

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 28
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    So... while they try to give users some comfort, they supply a back door for themselves with regard to dumping Mac OS, and they don't realize that Oracle does run on OS X (not to mention mySQL, but that's an open source project therefore less, uh, palatable to a company like Quark). Nice!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Just a quick word on Quark and Macs - maybe someone wrote this already, but anyway...

A couple of weeks ago Jürgen Kurz of Quark was interviewed at MacUser.co.uk, he said that the Mac/Win split in the userbase is 50:50, but that they sell more slightly more than 50% of product for Windows.

Who knows what that means, maybe Windows gradually playing catch-up with the Mac, maybe Windows users buying it and abandoning it later?

Whatever, 50% of your market is a big share to loose, so I can't imagine Quark quitting Mac development in the near future.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>Just a quick word on Quark and Macs - maybe someone wrote this already, but anyway...

A couple of weeks ago Jürgen Kurz of Quark was interviewed at MacUser.co.uk, he said that the Mac/Win split in the userbase is 50:50, but that they sell more slightly more than 50% of product for Windows.

Who knows what that means, maybe Windows gradually playing catch-up with the Mac, maybe Windows users buying it and abandoning it later?

Whatever, 50% of your market is a big share to loose, so I can't imagine Quark quitting Mac development in the near future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it has more to do with Mac users that are already Quark users not willing to pay a fortune to upgrade to a version of Quark (5) that does not have any significantly new features. Therefore any new purchases of Quark 5 will be either new Mac purchases or companies getting some extra PCs that need new licenses of Quark. It's $600 a pop. If companies ARE replacing their Macs with PCs then they'll use their Quark 4 licenses because if you look on the Quark 4.1 CD it has the Mac AND PC version. No need to waste money on a new version. Something sounds fishy at Quark...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>It's $600 a pop...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's actually more like USD:1,200 a "pop" in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe they have to buy "Passport" and that's more like USD:2,200.

I've never quite understood Quark's pricing stucture, "cheap" in "the Americas" (South America too) and double (at least) elsewhere. I can't imagine the support costs for Spain or Portugal are any higher than Brazil, Argentina or Mexico!?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>

It's actually more like USD:1,200 a "pop" in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe they have to buy "Passport" and that's more like USD:2,200.

I've never quite understood Quark's pricing stucture, "cheap" in "the Americas" (South America too) and double (at least) elsewhere. I can't imagine the support costs for Spain or Portugal are any higher than Brazil, Argentina or Mexico!?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never knew that. Thanks for adding one more reason to the list to hate Quark.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

I never knew that. Thanks for adding one more reason to the list to hate Quark.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One more reason for the rest of the world to hate American software vendors in general - they all seem to think it's reasonable to have differential pricing for "foreign" markets.

Adobe Photoshop: USD:582.00, USD(equiv in UK):698.00, USD(equiv in DE - English version!):875.00, (German version: USD:1,139.00).

I don't suppose we'd mind too much paying the extra if we actually got a localised version!

Find your own examples at <a href="http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk,"; target="_blank">www.macwarehouse.co.uk,</a> /www.inmac.de.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    thye keep sending me notices in the mail to upgrade but i won't bite unless they release a OS X version