Apple TV to dual as casual gaming device

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 63
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    They will almost certainly be casual games, rather like the current games for the iPod. PopCap and Tetris and Mah Jong and Poker and things like that. Very likely arcade classics as well.



    At least to start.



    A nice little bonus feature, but of course it won't be anything close to serious competition to the Wii, 360, or PS3.



    It'll be interesting to see how they handle the controller, though. Wired? Wireless? Does the Wii have a patent-lock on its Wiimote + Nanchuk? (I expect so.)
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post




    It'll be interesting to see how they handle the controller, though. (Does the Wii have a patent-lock on its system?) And I wonder if that's the real reason for that mysterious USB port in the tv...



    The controller could be wireless

    - most controllers are these days



    I think the USB port is really for a Blu-Ray player

  • Reply 23 of 63
    I think adding the ability to play casual games makes a lot of sense.



    Next up:

    video conferencing

    web browsing
  • Reply 24 of 63
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post


    What, I can't play my PS3 or 360 games on it? That's bullshit ... I'm going to wait for Rev. 2. When the ?tv has an optical drive, DVR, PS3 and 360 support, and can act as a waffle iron, then I might consider buying it ... but only if they drop the price to $99.



    Excuse me, but I don't play games, but my son plays his PS and XBox on our big screen. Why can't you?



    Incidently, I was under the impression that Apple TV is designed to stream content, i.e., movies, TV shows, movie trailers, podcasts and photos from your computer(s) to your TV. Not to hook up your PS or XBox.



    If anything, your posting was full of BS.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post


    They will almost certainly be casual games, rather like the current games for the iPod. PopCap and Tetris and Mah Jong and Poker and things like that. Very likely arcade classics as well.



    At least to start.



    A nice little bonus feature, but of course it won't be anything close to serious competition to the Wii, 360, or PS3.



    It'll be interesting to see how they handle the controller, though. Wired? Wireless? Does the Wii have a patent-lock on its Wiimote + Nanchuk? (I expect so.)



    You beat me to it. I can see ATV having games that work more like real arcade games than the ones on an iPod. PacMan on a big screen with real controllers would really hit the baby boomers for $5 easily. If they could just get all of the titles from Intellivision (my favorite), Atari and friends, then those companies could make some real money again and we could do something during the commercials on TV Land.



    The beauty is that so many games have very few resource needs, so storage and processor speeds are not a factor and if Apple came up with a new controller .... hey, I don't have an Apple remote. If a clickwheel was added and the remote made longer, could you turn it horizontally and operate it like a four-button controller? Anyway a wifi PS controller hack couldn't be too difficult. If Apple really has decided not to go high end on gaming consoles, it seems to me they should be partnering with Sony's gaming dept. more. I mean why not? Other than the Vaio vs. Mac and iPod vs. Walkman there really isn't much competition between them.



    Anyway, think of what a $300 AppleTV would mean if it also took care of 50% of your gaming needs!



    BTW, what I would really want is the ability to play Myst on HD! The graphics need some power, but the interface is so simple that the ATV and remote would be sufficient.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post


    What, I can't play my PS3 or 360 games on it? That's bullshit ... I'm going to wait for Rev. 2. When the ?tv has an optical drive, DVR, PS3 and 360 support, and can act as a waffle iron, then I might consider buying it ... but only if they drop the price to $99.



    Don't worry, some government in the European Union is going to force Sony and Microsoft to make their games interoperable with AppleTV... whether it was designed for this or not!
  • Reply 27 of 63
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Games are a natural for @tv but not the iPod games. Apple would have to make games suitable for the higher resolution TVs. Game controller? Apple can certainly provide that at extra cost.



    Video conferencing would be a natural for @tv. Maybe a new sort of iSight cam can hook up via USB.



    The best think @tv could do is stream Web video content directly to a TV without first going to a computer.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    wgarywgary Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post


    "Dual" is not a verb.



    People will verb just about anything these days, it makes me SICK!
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post


    LMFAO... Although I am one of those people who can't see why I would want an aTV... yet



    I've the same feeling. Casual games don't really excite me too much especially if I'm going to be home anyway. I could just go to the web and find something for free to play for a couple hours if I wanted a casual game. Or download a sudoku puzzle to tide me over.



    Now if it did double as a waffle iron, that would be something...nice apple shaped, waffles...



    And playing games with the Apple Remote would seriously suck unless they were turn based only. The Apple Remote generally sucks for anything for but the most basic of functions (of course, those are the only controls it contains). Hopefully for Apple TV purchasers, one of the universal remote producers will quickly incorporate the codes into a real remote; it won't be as stylish, but it would at least be functional.



    If only we could get an Apple/Nintendo team-up for a WiiTV, that would rock.



    And as another site pointed out, the codes in this article are exactly the same ones used for iPods (except for AppleTV replacing iPod) so it's quite possible it ended up a cut and paste routine without trimming out the extraneous codes.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    I've the same feeling. Casual games don't really excite me too much especially if I'm going to be home anyway.



    The Hardcore gaming market is dead. Well, not dead, but there's no more juice left in it to squeeze. They spend all their cash on $700 glorified DVD players and $60 games.



    Whereas casual gaming has lots of lovely growth potential. And the Apple TV model means every dollar goes to Apple. Not EA. Not Wallmart. Not Valve.



    C.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wgary View Post


    People will verb just about anything these days......



  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    And playing games with the Apple Remote would seriously suck unless they were turn based only. The Apple Remote generally sucks for anything for but the most basic of functions (of course, those are the only controls it contains). Hopefully for Apple TV purchasers, one of the universal remote producers will quickly incorporate the codes into a real remote; it won't be as stylish, but it would at least be functional.



    If only we could get an Apple/Nintendo team-up for a WiiTV, that would rock.



    Well, wait...for...it.....

    You could use the iPhone as the aTV iRemote

    - built-in Wifi!

    - built-in Acclerometer!

    - just the right size for a bat or racket!

    - nice, shiny, curvey edges so it slips out of your hand easily!





    Man, these Apple guys plan ahead!





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    And as another site pointed out, the codes in this article are exactly the same ones used for iPods (except for AppleTV replacing iPod) so it's quite possible it ended up a cut and paste routine without trimming out the extraneous codes.



    That's wierd

    \
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post




    If anything, your posting was full of BS.



    Maybe it was a joke?

  • Reply 34 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wgary View Post


    People will verb just about anything these days, it makes me SICK!



    Yes, it sicks me too!



    I hope folks didn't forget about Apple's patents for the snap-on controllers... these seem to fit in with a multi-touch remote with different snap-on controllers depending on whichever game you want to "casually" play.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Excuse me, but I don't play games, but my son plays his PS and XBox on our big screen. Why can't you?



    Incidently, I was under the impression that Apple TV is designed to stream content, i.e., movies, TV shows, movie trailers, podcasts and photos from your computer(s) to your TV. Not to hook up your PS or XBox.



    If anything, your posting was full of BS.



    It's not BS, it's a joke. You didn't see the waffle iron bit?
  • Reply 36 of 63
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post


    How's this:



    Larger iPods get iPhone's Multi Touch.



    Shuffle, and possibly Nano, stay with the click wheel.



    The Apple Remote/Game Controller gets the click wheel.



    Multi-touch for devices with nice, big screens. Click wheel for small, affordable devices where tactile operation is important.



    Multi-touch for an ipod would be (a) a waste of money (hey, then its perfect for apple to keep those prices high!) and (b) bad for the consumer. The last time apple did touch-sensitive buttons on their ipod, it was the rev 3's, and it just plain sucked. No feedback. Very hard to manipulate on feel alone. Too much time having to look at it. (Hey, the same problem with the iPhone!). We don't need that for the iPod, just so someone can scroll on screen vs a well-done click wheel.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It's not BS, it's a joke. You didn't see the waffle iron bit?



    ANd so was my last line.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Welcome to 2007. The two biggest product releases this year will no doubt be the Jobsonian rehashing of three previous Apple products that were not good enough for prime time.



    #1 The iPhone is the Apple Newton (axed by Jobs; revenge on former Apple CEO John Scully) meets iPod, plus mobile phone of course.



    #2 The Apple TV, or rehashed Apple Interactive Television Box + Apple Pippin. Apple almost released a multimedia game console in the mid-1990's dubbed "Apple Pippin" as well as test marketed an interactive tv box in Europe. Both products were dumped. Add to this, Apple Labs also created what was later sold to Microsoft: WebTV.



    Yes, a Retro 90's Techno (not- 60's LSD) Flashback. However, the Apple TV will be more like an iPod for your TV, an access medium to your shows and music, and it looks like iPod games as well -- all via iTunes.



    Read more about Apple Pippin from Wikipedia.



    Read more about Apple Interactive Television Box from Wikipedia.



    Please support industrial hemp at Global Hemp Store.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    We've all known that Apple was going to allow the AppleTV to play games, the question is how this will be achieved:



    1) WiFi, Infrared or USB?WiFi is the most logical choice.

    2) iPod-like clickwheel or typical Apple remote?I'm guessing Apple will include the typical, infrared Apple remote for typical AppleTV customers but will offer a clickwheel based, WiFI remote for an additional $24.99 for playing games with the AppleTV. It will also work for typical AppleTV operations.

    3) Will Apple also let you play these games via your Mac?My guess is 'nope'.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post


    "Dual" is not a verb.



    I think it was confused with "double", which is the standard convention. It appears that "double" would be the correct word to use, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.
Sign In or Register to comment.