Adobe: Creative Suite 3.0 won't ship till "later in Spring"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I think Adobe is ready to go on March 27th, but Apple is not ready with Leopard, so Adobe is politley waiting to co-launch with Apple.

Rubbish. CS3 doesn't need any Leopard features, and Adobe would love to start selling software to the other 60% of its userbase (Windows) ASAP. I hope they don't rush it, myself.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

What strikes me is that there's so little news about the other CS3 apps. We have Photoshop CS3 beta to play with, but *no* news from Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, ... Is Adobe the new Apple in secrecy ?

There must be beta testers out there who know something (Mell?), or is the NDA strangling them ?

I do PS, and the apps around it, but I don't do Illustrator or InDesign.

PS is almost ready, but not quite. For those who don't want to believe it, Adobe is picky about its release. They try to quash all the bugs we find. A few slip through, but not many, and those are usually caught within the first month of release.

If Adobe were like some other companies, PS would have been released a month ago.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    illustrator needs a workover badly. it still surprises me how goofy this last version is.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    as long as illustrator becomes more stable and integrates with flash better, then i'll be happy. getting artwork into flash has become such a pain in the ass and a real time consumer.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

PS is almost ready, but not quite. For those who don't want to believe it, Adobe is picky about its release. They try to quash all the bugs we find. A few slip through, but not many, and those are usually caught within the first month of release.

If Adobe were like some other companies, PS would have been released a month ago.

I wish that statement was true. It is in part with Photoshop, I suppose, but even there every major release comes with some major bugs. To truly appreciate Adobe’s launch bugs one must be a user of programs like Illustrator (famous for this) or GoLive (fortunately finally gone—this is a program that has pretty much never been anything but buggy). In Adobe’s defense they do a much better job than most companies, they are working with very complicated and advanced programs, and they knocked Macromedia clean out of the water in this department.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I wish that statement was true. It is in part with Photoshop, I suppose, but even there every major release comes with some major bugs. To truly appreciate Adobe?s launch bugs one must be a user of programs like Illustrator (famous for this) or GoLive (fortunately finally gone?this is a program that has pretty much never been anything but buggy). In Adobe?s defense they do a much better job than most companies, they are working with very complicated and advanced programs, and they knocked Macromedia clean out of the water in this department.

It is true as far as PS is concerned. I've put thousands of hours on that program over the years. It's always been one of the most stable programs I've ever used, with the least bugs.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It is true as far as PS is concerned. I've put thousands of hours on that program over the years. It's always been one of the most stable programs I've ever used, with the least bugs.

Yeah, you can always count on Photoshop. CS2 was a little buggy when it came out, but even in that state compared positively to most other professional programs out there. And many of the other Photoshop releases have been extremely stable. I guess we should hope for as much?it is their flagship app. Now if only they could devote that same attention to all their other programs (heck, I?m hoping for it with CS3, which I?ll buy they day I can order it) I would be a very happy artist indeed.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    i think adobe realizes that photoshop is part of their bread and butter. i'd suspect they bug-test ps more than the other apps. in my experience ps is always the most polished of all the creative programs from adobe. that's fine by me since i spend the majority of my time in ps over indesign or illustrator.