Impending Aperture update to expand RAW support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc. is on the verge of releasing an update to its Aperture post-production photography software that will add RAW file support for about a dozen additional digital SLR camera formats.

Among those cameras to see their native RAW formats accredited with the update are the Pentax K10D, K100D, and K110D, Apple Sr. Product Manager, Joe Schorr, recently told a forum of Aperture users.

He said the update will also bundle "support for 11 other RAW formats from different cameras, including the Nikon D40, Leica Digilux 3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1, Samsung GX-1L, and seven of the Leaf Aptus and Valeo models."

Schorr would not offer a precise date for the release, but told users they could expect the update "very soon."

The RAW updates may be part of broader Aperture revision that Apple plans to post for download ahead of WPPI -- the Wedding & Portrait Photographers International conference that runs March 24 - 29. The Mac maker is amongst the scheduled exhibitors, occupying decently-sized booth #351.

Apple last updated Aperture in December with the release of version 1.5.2, which also offered added RAW support and overall reliability and performance enhancements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...hmm... I wonder if Apple is also working on REDCODE compatibility...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...hmm... I wonder if Apple is also working on REDCODE compatibility...

You 4k snob

I like seeing any advancements in RAW support from Apple's products. By the time I get around to getting a DSLR Aperture 2.0 should be out.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    RAW support is typically an OS-level thing (in the ApplicationServices framework), which allows apps other than Aperture (e.g. iPhoto and Preview) to take advantage of the RAW formats. I hope Apple will release the new RAW support the same way, or else there will be a whole bunch of p*ssed iPhoto users.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Expect major [paid] updates to Aperture shortly - I just bought a copy of Aperture 1.5.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Peel View Post

Expect major [paid] updates to Aperture shortly - I just bought a copy of Aperture 1.5.

I feel your pain. Sigh.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Looks like this was actually part of 10.4.9

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305121
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Wasn't there are RAW update in 10.4.9? I think I saw something about RAW imaging on the Apple website before I installed it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    So now that we know this was referring to 10.4.9, any educated guesses as to a v2.0 release date?

I'm thinking of shooting RAW when I get a new computer (unfortunately my current Mac mini can't handle it), and migrating from iPhoto to Aperture 100%.