RAZR V3m: Piece of S#!@

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi All,

So last week I lost my Motorola E815. I loved that phone. I used it as a bluetooth modem, synced my calendars and contacts, used mobile web and paired it with my car's bluetooth audio system. I looked everywhere and finally gave up.

I bought a Silver RAZR V3m from Verizon. I got 25% off if I extended my contract (not other discounts). I didn't put a lot of research into to be honest. It had bluetooth and everything else I wanted. So, $200 later, I was set...new car charger and all.

But all is not well. I hate the RAZR and I've decided to return it. I ordered a refurb e815 from Tweeter.com this morning, for a lot less than the RAZR cost. I have 15 days to return the RAZR.

First, the V3m is not supported by iSync. It syncs your contacts, but not calanders. I tried to get a special plugin from Corkskew, but all that did was make syncing not work AT ALL. It also does not seem to function as a bluetooth modem. Also, the mobile web has serious latency/lag in the interface. Loading speed is about the same, but scrolling is choppy. Finally, the interface sucks. You can't (at least with Verizon) customize it much at all....and it's ugly to boot. Oh, and I hate the LCD screen on the case...it's small and dark.

So it's going back as soon as my new one gets here. No extended contract for me. I would not suggest anyone gets this RAZR. Just a public service message for fellow Mac owners. Wait til June when I give Verizon the finger and buy an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Do you think the v3i suffers from the same problems?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I went through three Razr's they kept on freezing up on me, the last one never froze but the reception was nothing short of terrible, never going Moto again. I now have a Nokia, if I have the money I'll get an iPhone, but I suspect I'll be waiting for iPhone junior.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I got a razor and I'm not crazy about it. I find the interface difficult to use but I'm learning. It works for me but I'm not that demanding on my phone. I would suggest others look at something else.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I went through three Razr's they kept on freezing up on me, the last one never froze but the reception was nothing short of terrible, never going Moto again. I now have a Nokia, if I have the money I'll get an iPhone, but I suspect I'll be waiting for iPhone junior.

My Dad went through several as well, with Sprint. He had battery problems. His interface is better though. Verizon's is awful.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    the cingular razr is nothing special either, but i really just it as a phone only. can't beat the thinness. razr's getting old though-- i can't imagining purchasing one new with all these other cool phones out.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

the cingular razr is nothing special either, but i really just it as a phone only. can't beat the thinness. razr's getting old though-- i can't imagining purchasing one new with all these other cool phones out.

Well remember, I lost one and I was already spending a shitload of money on replacing it. It cost me like $200 with the car charger, which was of course different than my other one. Other phones were like $300 and up. I'm really happy with my E815. It's big, but it does what I want it to do, epsecially act as a bluetooth modem when I'm on the road.

I really should have researched my purchase more....it's unlike me NOT to do that. I just needed a phone, and like you...my of my primary usage is as a basic phone. However, once you'ce started syncing everything, it's hard to go back.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    how did you spend $200? razrs are like $30 now with a contract.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

how did you spend $200? razrs are like $30 now with a contract.

Not when you lose one. You don't get a "serious" discount AND you have to extend your contract to get any discount at all. I got like 25% off and that's because I called Verizon directly to report the phone lost. If you're re-upping your contract or a new customer, that's different. I plan to give Verizon the finger when the iPhone comes out anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    I have a v3m from Telus and it is horrible shite. Whenever i'm on a call the phone tells me that the battery is dieing and it will beep to let me know so when im trying to talk on the fucking phone, then the phone will freeze and reset itself and turn back on with full battery life. It's a joke and i'm never buying a Moto phone ever again because of my problems with this one.

I'm also pissed that they have blocked me from downloading Gmail mobile and restrict me from uploading ringtones to the phone via bluetooth to use them as my ringtone, which was an advertised feature of the phone.

Oh god i am praying for iPhone
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiemike View Post

I have a v3m from Telus and it is horrible shite. Whenever i'm on a call the phone tells me that the battery is dieing and it will beep to let me know so when im trying to talk on the fucking phone, then the phone will freeze and reset itself and turn back on with full battery life. It's a joke and i'm never buying a Moto phone ever again because of my problems with this one.

I'm also pissed that they have blocked me from downloading Gmail mobile and restrict me from uploading ringtones to the phone via bluetooth to use them as my ringtone, which was an advertised feature of the phone.

Haven't had those problems.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Haven't had those problems.

I got my e815 today and guess what...it's hosed. The backlight isn't operating. I guess that is what I get for ordering a refurb. Problem is, if I return it and get another my return period on the RAZR will be up.

I think I'm just going to get another phone from Verizon directly. This is such bullshit.

Reccomendations? I need full syncing, handsfree bluetooth and bluetooth modem with Verizon.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I got my e815 today and guess what...it's hosed. The backlight isn't operating. I guess that is what I get for ordering a refurb. Problem is, if I return it and get another my return period on the RAZR will be up.

I think I'm just going to get another phone from Verizon directly. This is such bullshit.

Reccomendations? I need full syncing, handsfree bluetooth and bluetooth modem with Verizon.

Limp along until the iPhone? Is that an option where you live?

Doh just read your first post.......k do that then.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    SDW, I'm pretty sure that Verizon turns off the bluetooth modem with all their phones. I'm pretty sure it is a nice "feature of their systems. I remember people bitching about that with the Q as well.

Edit: I think the fixed this now that I am looking at info on it.

I have this phone and so far it has done very well by me. I've gotten quite hooked on texting which is something I thought I would never do. It survived a seriously nasty fall when I was talking and unloading a quad at the same time off my truck.

If you don't like the interface, I think you are screwed because Verizon strips them out of all the phones and adds their own now.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

SDW, I'm pretty sure that Verizon turns off the bluetooth modem with all their phones. I'm pretty sure it is a nice "feature of their systems. I remember people bitching about that with the Q as well.

Edit: I think the fixed this now that I am looking at info on it.

I have this phone and so far it has done very well by me. I've gotten quite hooked on texting which is something I thought I would never do. It survived a seriously nasty fall when I was talking and unloading a quad at the same time off my truck.

If you don't like the interface, I think you are screwed because Verizon strips them out of all the phones and adds their own now.

Nick

I had my E815 setup to use as a modem. I think they may have hosed that feature though. All I know is that as of last Thanksgiving it was working. I can't seem to enable DUN on the RAZR. Anyone know tricks to do that?

As for the interface, I hate it. With previous phones you could at least change the menu appearance (icons or list) and what not.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Limp along until the iPhone? Is that an option where you live?

Doh just read your first post.......k do that then.

That's my plan. Of course, I'm going to have to get out of VZ contract. There are ways to get around it, but we'll see.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I agree. The RAZR is just terrible. I bought the unlocked GSM version while my Nokia 6682 was in the repair center. I felt like I was back to year 2000 or something. Some of my friends also use the RAZR and not fond with it.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    I agree, the V3M on VZ is a piece of sh%&t

Apparently one can get rid of the VZ interface (and other limitations) by flashing it to Alltel firmware which restores the Moto interface. Doing this (not for the faint of heart) also restores full BT support including OBEX and the Moto MP3 player (the VZ media player syncs with M$ WMP and only plays .wma files)

http://mark.cdmaforums.com/

see above for files and instructions
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I don't think I'm going the seem edit route. That's a bit much. I just want to sync my calendars and use it as a BT modem. iPhone, here I come.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    although I don't sync my phone, the new Tiger update 10.4.9 now shows the V3M on their updated list of supported phones...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

I've been using my phone as a BT modem on VZ for some time. The trick is to turn of EVDO and have the phone in 1X mode

A couple of relevant threads (perhaps you have seen).

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=780944

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=705263

http://hacktherazr.com/guide.razr.net.html
  • Reply 20 of 28
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiemike View Post

That's why I don't fuck with CDMA, GSM providers only. Especially in a small easily rapeable market like Canada.