N00b question on 10.5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnstar View Post

I agree with you but 10.4 is a the end of a cycle, i just do not want to buy it and 5 days later find out that i'll have to spend a other 130$.

I've worked with some apps like Maya and XSI and when upgrades comes in they will also upgrade everybody that got it a months befor for free. Did apple ever done this ?

10.4 has been out for how long now ? 12- 14 months ?

Wait for Leopard. Hardware configuration will have changed when it arrives and newer Intel core systems will be available.

Be smart and wait the months necessary to make the switch.

If you make you're going to be making money using OS X then I'd encourage you to switch now, but I'd wait and when Leopard comes out you do get the cost of the new OS as part of the hardware with it pre-installed. You'll get the latest dev tools as well and unlike the rest of us you won't have to pay the $130 to upgrade your system.

Since you mention Maya and XSI I'd wait on the next revision of the MacBook that will arrive before back to school--it's the main system for incoming University students that Apple sells.

Wait and enjoy having a fully 64 bit OS with OpenGL 2.1 and a much improved core to it's OS and hardware.

Everything will improve in the next revision of the MacBook that Intel is responsible in delivering on.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    I was going to wait for Leopard. There was some hype that it might have been released on Feb. 20th but no dice. I bought a new 24" iMac the next day.

Do I regret it? Slightly. Now that new iMacs are on the horizon, I know I will regret getting this and want the new one. I don't regret that I didn't wait for Leopard because it's only going to be an extra $120 (or more if iLife '07 is included with it). I think you will regret more if you didn't wait for a hardware upgrade.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I was going to wait for Leopard. There was some hype that it might have been released on Feb. 20th but no dice. I bought a new 24" iMac the next day.

Do I regret it? Slightly. Now that new iMacs are on the horizon, I know I will regret getting this and want the new one. I don't regret that I didn't wait for Leopard because it's only going to be an extra $120 (or more if iLife '07 is included with it). I think you will regret more if you didn't wait for a hardware upgrade.

Bottom line the new iMac's wont be that much faster, you just want the new rumored look, but there's always a new look around the corner, that's just technology.