• Reply 83 of 168
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    #41: An easy one.

• Reply 84 of 168
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    12 Angry Men.
  • Reply 85 of 168
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    #39--Would that be the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Paramount logo dissolves into an actual mountain peak?
  • Reply 86 of 168
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

#39--Would that be the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Paramount logo dissolves into an actual mountain peak?

Wow.

#42.

#43.

• Reply 87 of 168
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hey midwinter, I would have guessed 40 and 41 were American Beauty and Lord of the Rings.
  • Reply 88 of 168
    #43:

Trainspotting.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    #42:

Star Trek II

Quote:

No.

#44:

• Reply 90 of 168
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Heh. That's the first thing I thought of as well, but RotLA used the older Paramount logo (#44). #42 = The Usual Suspects. That scene in particular was great.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    #45:

#46:

#47:

• Reply 92 of 168
    #45 Gladiator

#46 ???

#47 Mad Max
  • Reply 93 of 168
    Just tangentially, do you remember when studio logos were sacrosanct? They stood proudly alone at the beginning of movies, casting their imprimatur over the proceedings but never stooping to converse with any particular film, as that would have been demeaning to the brand.

Now, I practically expect that that mighty logo will go black and white, or grainy, or be revealed as part of a larger scene, or the camera will fly past it, or something, especially for "big" movies. I guess it speaks to the preeminence of "event" movies over studio branding.

The first time I remember seeing this done was Raiders, although it sort of didn't count since (as I am now reminded) Spielberg used the 40s version of the Paramount logo.

Any thoughts as to the first use of a current studio logo as a foil/segue for an opening scene?
  • Reply 94 of 168
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I dunno but I also liked when watching the credits actually meant something.

Don't think I really need to know the secretary to the third assistant to the grip.
  • Reply 95 of 168
    Quote:

Any thoughts as to the first use of a current studio logo as a foil/segue for an opening scene?

RotLA aside, the first time I noticed this was Columbia's 'warehouse' intro into their 1998 Godzilla*. Everything went blurry and atomic green...and proceeded to show the Kimodos or whatnot staring at the at the explosion. I thought it was pretty cool (for the time).

* now you understand why I got Reign of Fire and Andaconda on the first go. Any movie with a monster in it is mine.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 709 View Post

RotLA aside, the first time I noticed this was Columbia's 'warehouse' intro into their 1998 Godzilla*. Everything went blurry and atomic green...and proceeded to show the Kimodos or whatnot staring at the at the explosion. I thought it was pretty cool (for the time).

* now you understand why I got Reign of Fire and Andaconda on the first go. Any movie with a monster in it is mine.

So I trust you have seen the most excellent Host?
  • Reply 97 of 168
    Actually...no, and of course IMDB is filled with titles consisting of no less than a dozen umlauts. \

Turn me on, fair adda?
  • Reply 98 of 168
    Wife says "Maybe Airplane was the first."
  • Reply 99 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Actually, didn't Independence Day do it before Godzilla (which I also own). We seem to have similar taste in bad movies, 709.
  • Reply 100 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge View Post

#45 Gladiator

Yup.

Quote:

#47 Mad Max

Nope.