Briefly: Apple says Leopard won't be delayed

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

How about WebDAV? I'm pretty sure it doesn't do notification. Or ftp, which Apple insists on using the Finder to gateway to.

That's why I asked it as a question.

Odd, I just opened an ftp Finder window to my server, plopped a file on there, and it did pop up. Took a couple of seconds, but it did show up. Polling on the protocols that need it, you think?

Considering that there's a delay/lack of update even with *local* disks, I think it's pretty obvious that they need to FTFF. There, there's no excuse, and no need for a manual refresh trigger. Agreed?

Quote:

It's true that Microsoft is only the #1 embedded OS maker in revenue, not in unit shipments, but it's certainly the dominant force in that industry these days. If you count in-house embedded OSes, like Cisco's routers, it may skew the numbers a little. But Symbian on this list is #4, behind Wind River and Palm.

Source? I'd like a peek at it.

Quote:

How many text files to those embedded OSes deal with? I'd argue that when you account for desktop and server OSes, you've already covered 90% of the text files in use.

The linefeed/newline issue affects not only text *files*, but text strings, text pipes, etc, etc, etc. It's rather pervasive.

Quote:

And I'd like to see a citation for the oft-repeated assertion regarding COBOL. In the late 90's and early 00's, a lot of that code was ported to Java, which last I saw had the most number of new code lines shipped in any given year for several years now.

I'll see what I can track down - last time I saw it repeated was about three years ago in an ACM publication (Communications?).

Quote:

(Objective-C isn't even on the radar-- another move of Apple's I consider somewhat boneheaded. The sooner Apple dumps ObjC the faster they'll pick up industry support.)

I will never understand the urge to follow the herd, when the herd is going in circles. Java is, without a doubt, one of my least favorite languages. Gosling should have stuck to toasters.

Quote:

That's how this problem happened in the first place....

What problem?
  • Reply 42 of 45
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggstone View Post

Remember there were rumors about the delaying of appleTV or the airport express (I forget which one), and later, apple jumped out claiming no delay... and later, the product did delay.

Well, you can never trust apple's statement about those thing, the information could be interpreted as apple will try its best to meet the late spring deadline, but whether they could do it remains unclear.

You're right, if something last minute and unexpected comes out, and Apple still wants to deliver a great product they will delay it as they did with the Apple TV. But since we can't predict the future and forsee a problem at the last minute, I'm just going to say that it'll be on time.

Sebastian
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Is this some kind of A sick joke or what? I've been Looking-Up if Mac OS X (10.5) "Leopard" is out, but nobody can Confirm-It yet. Some Reports are saying that it's Delayed and some on Time. So, I don't know.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL View Post

Is this some kind of A sick joke or what? I've been Looking-Up if Mac OS X (10.5) "Leopard" is out, but nobody can Confirm-It yet. Some Reports are saying that it's Delayed and some on Time. So, I don't know.

I don't get it. You are looking to find if it is already out?

Where did you come across that?
  • Reply 45 of 45
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL View Post

Is this some kind of A sick joke or what? I've been Looking-Up if Mac OS X (10.5) "Leopard" is out, but nobody can Confirm-It yet. Some Reports are saying that it's Delayed and some on Time. So, I don't know. *snip* Reason? A bit annoying to look at 3 posts in a row. -Sebastian

Not Delayed, just a sick joke.

Until Apple says otherwise, it's running on time for a Spring 07 release, with the last day of spring being June 20th.

Sebastian