Apple adds Vista support with new Boot Camp release

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

finally something coming up ... when Leopard ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I guess the final name is going to be Boot Camp since it used to say "In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp (for now) that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac." they have removed the "(for now)"
  • Reply 2 of 28
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

What you'll need

A printer for the instructions (You?ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)

Quote:

EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Quote:

Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it?ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Quote:

Tell a Friend

Email people you think might be interested in Boot Camp for Intel-based Macs.

snaps!

• Reply 3 of 28
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    not sure about Vista Enterprise edition which i am already running on my MacBook.

hopefully drivers will install on Vista Enterprise as well, will tryout this evening.

EDIT : Windows driver installer disk works with Enterprise edition as well. Work like charm, had no problem
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

I guess the final name is going to be Boot Camp since it used to say "In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp (for now) that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac." they have removed the "(for now)"

Awesome! I love "Boot Camp." It strikes just the right note.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    In your face Digitimes!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Inc. has released a significant update to its Boot Camp dual-booting software that adds support for rival Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows Vista operating system in addition to a half dozen other improvements.

The beta software, which will be included in Apple's upcoming Leopard operating system release, lets users of Intel-based Macs install and run Windows in addition to the Mac OS.

The 138MB Boot Camp 1.2 beta issued on Wednesday is recommended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

Atop the list of enhancements delivered in the new version is 32-bit support for Windows Vista, support the Apple Remote (works with iTunes and Windows Media Player), and a version of Apple Software Update designed specifically for Windows XP and Vista.

The Cupertino-based Apple has also expanded international keyboard support, improved the Windows driver installation experience, and updated the software drivers for trackpad, AppleTime (synch), audio, graphics, modem, and iSight.

Boot Camp 1.2 beta, which is available for download now, also adds a Windows system tray icon for easy access to Boot Camp information and actions.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

In your face Digitimes!

Exactly what I was thinking
  • Reply 8 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Now that was harsh. Not from your part but from Apple's.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Seriously.

Dear AI, stop reporting the ridiculous, always-wrong Digitimes rumors.

Sincerely,

Porchland
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

I was about to say that. How lame are those guys?!?

Digitimes

• Reply 11 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Would Apple have released this Vista compatible Bootcamp upgrade this early if DigiTimes hadn't reported false claims about delaying Leopard last week?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Great! Hope that this fixes the "trackpad-gets-stuck"-problem...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

If Digitimes were to respond they would say it doesn't support 64bit Vista. I never gave the Digitimes report more than a slight chuckle anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Maybe they ment to saay that they were holding Leopard until Apple was ready to pre-install BootCamp and Vista on all Mac machines, hehe.

Boy am I going to get flamed.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    For those of us running windows in BootCamp 1.1. How do we go about installing BootCamp 1.2? Do we need to reformat and reinstall windows?

Edit: Duh... I kin reed!

• Reply 16 of 28
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Ha. Is it october already? My, how time flies!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Digitimes:

• Reply 18 of 28
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    lol, great news, cept I'm steering clear of vista until sp1, anyone know when that's gonna be, hahaha

btw, a question, I've never updated my boot camp software, if you update it, does it delete the windows partition?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

lol, great news, cept I'm steering clear of vista until sp1, anyone know when that's gonna be, hahaha

btw, a question, I've never updated my boot camp software, if you update it, does it delete the windows partition?

it just a app, it will NOT delete anything or do anything wrong.

I updated today and Burned CD for Vista Drivers and new features like trackpad thing and so on.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Can you tap to click on the trackpad in Windows now?