Why Apple's Browser Won't Be Called iWeb, iBrowse, etc.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
All this talk about the Apple browser in the works has got me kinda miffed. Why do people think they'll make an iApp out of it? Do they seriously expect it will be called iWeb? iBrowse? C'mon! iApps, at least the majority of them, seem to replace physical devices:



iTunes: Replaces stereo system & music racks; physical objects.

iPhoto: Replaces darkroom (?), shoebox, & photo albums; physical objects.

iMovie: Replaces complex tape-editing equipment & Video Toasters; physical objects.

iDVD: Maybe an exception; replaces layout/duplication equipment (?); physical objects.

iCal: Replaces desktop paper calendar; physical object.

iSync: Okay, the real exception.

iChat: Replaces telephone (?); physical object.



Now look at the other, "generic-named" apps:



Mail: That's it, just "Mail".

Address Book: Ditto.

Sherlock: Cleverly named Internet search tool.

Clock: Self-explanatory.



---



So I think Apple's browser will be called:



1: Internet

2: Navigator

3: ?



But I don't think it'll just be a browser. It's gotta have some Mac in the formula. I expect it'll be extremely Sherlock-friendly (i.e. maybe round-tripping back to Sherlock, with the "where-you-just-came-from" link highlighted in the results.) Maybe even "find similar sites" functions with a simple "Sherlock This!" button, or even advantages like Sherlock constantly keeping up with you as you surf if you have both open. I think it'll do something new with Favorites (I don't know what, but something organization-wise). Drag-and-drop text or Word documents into text fields to dump the contents (i.e. a lengthy post on an Apple-related discussion forum...) into the box. And of course it'll have some neat .Mac features built in (i.e. advanced HomePage builder, drawers for iDisk/HomePage/Home Folder/etc.). I guess we'll find out, but my vote's for Internet.app.



And some people think I'm crazy!



- Johnny Dangerously



[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Johnny Dangerously ]</p>
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I could see Internet (or maybe just "i", after all i initially meant "internet" (I think...)). But, I would rather that they keep the name Chimera, and ditch "Navigator" since it goes with Mozilla and all those big monstrous names (do I hear iZilla? ).



    Speaking of Chimera, anyone know what's up with it's rendezvous support? I read the change logs and it has support for it for Mac OS 10.2.3...



    Specifically here:

    -----------------------------------------------------------

    Changes for 12/06/2002

    -----------------------------------------------------------



    ? Add new source files for Rendezvous support, bug 176348.



    ? Add new menu items and strings for rendezvous support (still WIP). Bug 176348.



    ? Add support for Rendezvous, on 10.2.3 and later. Bug 176348. Still work in progress, is preffed off by default.



    Do we get to share bookmarks or something?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think it would be cool - and a bit like Apple - to name/brand it with something kinda cool, in an oblique-reference-to-the-Internet kinda way.



    I'm thinking surfing, okay? But not surfing. But some cool word that ties in with surfing, BUT also makes sense in an "Internet/online" kind of way.



    Pipeline.







    Don't laugh...



    What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Think of all the cool logo ideas (an OS X icon, in particular) you could get with Pipeline or whatever. An Aquafied surfboard with a globe behind it. Or riding through the water on the globe.



    It's late. Good night...
  • Reply 4 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Why do you say that iApps replace physical things but non iApps don't? Mail replaces your mailbox. Address Book replaces your address book. Clock replaces a physical clock. The only exception that you mentioned was Sherlock... but then again iSync is an exception the other way.



    I think a better analogy would be to say that iApps work with multimedia. Remember all the "multimedia" computers that came out in the mid 90s? Well, that's what we're getting into. There are always a few exceptions, but I think those fit better. iSync, iChat and iCal don't really have to do with multimedia, but there aren't any exceptions the other way. You could also look at the iApps as being non-necessary, amusement apps. Mail, your browser, TextEdit, and System Prefs are the essential apps, really.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    pbpb Posts: 4,228member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

    <strong>



    What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html"; target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).
  • Reply 6 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

    <strong>Speaking of Chimera, anyone know what's up with it's rendezvous support? I read the change logs and it has support for it for Mac OS 10.2.3... [..] Do we get to share bookmarks or something?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    No. Chimera's Rendezvous implementation will automatically discover Rendezvous-enabled FTP, HTTP and HTTPS servers. You can try if you have a 10.2.3 build (as in, you're a developer or you wait a few weeks ), turn on FTP sharing in the Sharing PreferencePane, and turn on the Chimera Rendezvous pref (I can look it up if you can't find it out yourself). Then, Chimera will offer your local FTP server as a server to connect to in the "Local Servers" submenu in the Go menu.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

    <strong>I think it would be cool - and a bit like Apple - to name/brand it with something kinda cool, in an oblique-reference-to-the-Internet kinda way.



    I'm thinking surfing, okay? But not surfing. But some cool word that ties in with surfing, BUT also makes sense in an "Internet/online" kind of way.



    Pipeline.







    Don't laugh...



    What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

    Actually that name isnt all that bad!

    I like it

  • Reply 8 of 33
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.



    Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by PB:

    <strong>



    Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html"; target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).</strong><hr></blockquote>





    AIN'T UNicode great?!



    That is so cool, Hebrew is even cooling as you can drag and drop vowels over the characters



    long live UNICODE!



    oh, but, yeah, I hope it does not have an i



    but in reality, it is the only one that SHOULD



    in the original iMac, i stood for INTERNET



    non of the other apps really do... (maybe iSync)



    but yeah, if ANYTHING, this is the only program that SHOULD have an I



    (sorry about the lousy post, early and i am cold)

    <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 10 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by PB:

    <strong>



    Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html"; target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).</strong><hr></blockquote>



    psh...i was just going to tell him it's an imaginary beast...didn't know we were going to go all technical
  • Reply 11 of 33
    iNet.



    Just wait and see.



    <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 12 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

    <strong>I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.



    Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Why do you say that?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    [quote]I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.



    Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.
    <hr></blockquote>



    Apple already hired the guy who is developing Chimera so I doubt that is true. Besides IE sucks a lot, if anything, switchers will see that web browsing is SLOW on a mac through IE.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    I vaguely remember one of the chimera crew saying in an interview that they chose the name chimera 'cause it consisted of an aqua/mac "head" on a mozilla/gecko "body". The chimera beast has a goats head on a lions body, or was it the other way around? Sources seem to differ on this one. some even claim it has three heads.



    I think the best name for an apple browser is:



    Webfinder



    It shouldn't be integrated into the finder or the os or anything. It's just a great and intuitive (descriptive) name with a lot of apple "ring" to it.



    edit: spelling.



    [ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: LowB-ing ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 33
    btw anybody knows a key-shortcut for going back a page in chimera's navigator for a european keyboard. Can u give me the physical locotion on the keyboard of an powerbook 1ghz.



    Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 33
    How are you supposed to pronounce Mozilla?



    Mo' Zilla?



    MowZilla?



    MotsZilla?



    Motszillya?



    Andrew
  • Reply 17 of 33
    is there a complete off all the browsers out there for OS X?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    <a href="http://www.icab.de/dl.php"; target="_blank">iCab 2.8.2</a>

    <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/releases/"; target="_blank">Mozilla 1.2.1</a>

    <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/"; target="_blank">Chimera 0.6</a>

    <a href="http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/"; target="_blank">Netscape 7.01</a>

    <a href="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/"; target="_blank">OmniWeb 4.1.1</a>

    <a href="http://www.opera.com/"; target="_blank">Opera 6</a>



    [ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by drazztikka:

    <strong>btw anybody knows a key-shortcut for going back a page in chimera's navigator for a european keyboard. Can u give me the physical locotion on the keyboard of an powerbook 1ghz.



    Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Its apple-backarrow. And foward is apple-fowardarrow.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

    <strong><a href="http://www.icab.de/dl.php"; target="_blank">iCab 2.8.2</a>

    <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/releases/"; target="_blank">Mozilla 1.2.1</a>

    <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/"; target="_blank">Chimera 0.6</a>

    <a href="http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/"; target="_blank">Netscape 7.01</a>

    <a href="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/"; target="_blank">OmniWeb 4.1.1</a>

    <a href="http://www.opera.com/"; target="_blank">Opera 6</a>



    [ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

    Which are the best? I don't see IE on there.
Sign In or Register to comment.