Migrating from XP to OX... I have questions!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Kingme,

Here's an idea for your consideration. A lot of folks are in the same boat as you are in now, waiting for the new hardware. The new units may come out today or maybe not till June,July, etc. I've been in your position before. Your needs are probably different than mine and different than others here. What I do is this: buy a new or refurbished model now, then sell it privately or on ebay. When the new unit arrives in the store, I buy it. So, in the end, I wind up "renting" a unit for a few months. It all depends on your situation. Do you want to get started yesterday with a Mac? Or are you in a position to wait 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc. Just another option to consider.

Edit: If you wait, there may be a promotion with the new models, e.g. an "almost free" printer , scanner, or Ipod when you buy,
  • Reply 22 of 39
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Buy a new or refurbished model now, then sell it privately or on ebay. When the new unit arrives in the store, I buy it.

How much do you typically lose? A few hundred?

For example, my 17" is $2600 or so, what do you think I can expect in a few months?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    That's about right but other factors can reduce your "loss". For example, if there is a promotion and you get a new HP printer for $9.99 which you were going to buy anyway, that reduces the "loss". Sometimes on eBay (BTW, a very tricky and dangerous task, let me know if you ever go this route, I'll tell you how to do it) the value of a particular model is very high. For example, the old 12" power books are very hot items on ebay and you can recoup quite a bit of your initial investment. For other models, this is not the case, e.g. low end iMacs. I think the current Pro laptops will retain a lot of their value--just my opinion. Then there's always the private market--do you know someone who would buy your old Pro. Then there's another angle--charitable tax deduction to a charity, school, etc. Again, it all depends on many factors. In my case, I always buy, sell (i.e. "rent") and buy the new if that's what I want. I'm currently hoping for a new Mac ultralight. If Apple doesn't release one at all or until October 2007, no problem. I have a Mac laptop now and that's what's most important to me.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Kingme,

This is the second post in reply to your question. Go to ebay right now and search for your exact model. You'll see what new and used models are fetching today. That will give you some idea. Also, check out the Apple store for their price today on a refurb of your exact model. This info will give you a guide. You can calculate best case and worst case scenarios. Also, check out Apple's current return policy on a new or refurb model purchased today and returned say 29 days from today.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Thanks for the tips!

I have some PCs I need to sell on eBay so please let me know how to protect myself.

I am going the opposite direction as you. I have a sweet little Sony VAIO (12" or 13" I think... their smallest one at the time) and while it is GREAT for traveling, it is poor for everything else. It is slower than other PCs in it's price range, the screen is small, the keyboard is small...

The 17" Mac I am buying is in response to what I really do with computers. I don't travel that much but I look at a screen all day.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

Thanks for the tips!

I have some PCs I need to sell on eBay so please let me know how to protect myself.

I am going the opposite direction as you. I have a sweet little Sony VAIO (12" or 13" I think... their smallest one at the time) and while it is GREAT for traveling, it is poor for everything else. It is slower than other PCs in it's price range, the screen is small, the keyboard is small...

The 17" Mac I am buying is in response to what I really do with computers. I don't travel that much but I look at a screen all day.

Kingme,

I have a Sony T160 (11", ULV Pentium, 40 GB HD, wifi, bluetotth, plenty powerful for my needs; search my previous posts on this unit). It's a great computer which I take on the road with me all the time. I travel a lot. Please Apple, release an ultralight!

As for eBay, I think I'll post my guidance as a separate thread since I think lots of folks might want to read about it---could get buried in this thread.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

I have a Sony T160 (11", ULV Pentium, 40 GB HD, wifi, bluetotth, plenty powerful for my needs; search my previous posts on this unit).

I have a Sony VGN-TX670... (11.1", Pentium M 753 1.2GHz, 60GB HD, WiFi, BT, Cingular WAN unlocked!). I'm selling this for my Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

I have a Sony VGN-TX670... (11.1", Pentium M 753 1.2GHz, 60GB HD, WiFi, BT, Cingular WAN unlocked!). I'm selling this for my Mac.

Did you mean T670? The T670 is a later version of my T160, while the TX line is a later version of both. The TX is a slick Sony model. I'm praying Apple brings out something of that size (3lbs, 12" screen) with Apple styling, Core 2 Duo and Leopard. I'll be in MacHeaven if that happens!
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

The TX line is a later version of both. The TX is a slick Sony model.

It's the TX. Real tiny. Was $2500 new, Christmas 2005. Runs on batteries for about 5 hours!

Sony has a bunch of little models so I have to think that there is a market for sub-notebooks. I mean, they know their stuff. They made the best PDA on the planet (CLIE) and walked away before the entire platform died and left Handspring holding the bag.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

It's the TX. Real tiny. Was $2500 new, Christmas 2005. Runs on batteries for about 5 hours!

Sony has a bunch of little models so I have to think that there is a market for sub-notebooks. I mean, they know their stuff. They made the best PDA on the planet (CLIE) and walked away before the entire platform died and left Handspring holding the bag.

I think Apple will have a big market for ultralights though many (most?) posters on this forum disagree. In my industry, pharmaceutical, and with those I interact with (CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, FDAers, R&D types, engineers) , they and I would run to the Apple store for an ultralight (3lbs, 12" screen with Apple styling, Core 2 Duo , Leopard, and dare I say it, a pop-out MT pad a la Fingerworks iGestures pad, We've spent many an hour drooling in our beers over that type of unit. Every time I see these guys they rag on me, "Hey! Where's the Apple Ultralight?". I just say "From your mouth to Jobs ears!". The boys in Tokyo and Osaka would be very unhappy if Apple released such a unit.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

I think Apple will have a big market for ultralights though many (most?) posters on this forum disagree.

I would have to agree with you... but I think Apple would have to make it black or titanium or something so it looks corporate and not "cute."
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

I would have to agree with you... but I think Apple would have to make it black or titanium or something so it looks corporate and not "cute."

Piano black or dark charcoal gray with carbon fiber case? Hell, I'll take fuschia if they just make one.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Kingme,

Here's an idea for your consideration. A lot of folks are in the same boat as you are in now, waiting for the new hardware. The new units may come out today or maybe not till June,July, etc. I've been in your position before. Your needs are probably different than mine and different than others here. What I do is this: buy a new or refurbished model now, then sell it privately or on ebay. When the new unit arrives in the store, I buy it. So, in the end, I wind up "renting" a unit for a few months. It all depends on your situation. Do you want to get started yesterday with a Mac? Or are you in a position to wait 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc. Just another option to consider.

Edit: If you wait, there may be a promotion with the new models, e.g. an "almost free" printer , scanner, or Ipod when you buy,

Virtually ALL of the free printers that come with computers are serious chunks of shit.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Virtually ALL of the free printers that come with computers are serious chunks of shit.

You got that right.

$10 printers that go through $99 worth of special ink jet cartridges every three weeks.

Hey! I think my computer is on it's way to me today (two days earlier than I expected!).
  • Reply 35 of 39
    HEY! I am typing this with my new 17" "cafeteria tray" which came an hour ago! This is pretty nice but as a Windows guy, I'm a little out of sorts.

By the way, I think I read somewhere that the best thing to do once you get a new Mac is to reinstall the OS without all the language packs or OS9 support. Any ideas on this?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You're so use to windows right now, but give a week or two and you'll wonder why you put up with windows so long. Nah, you dont need to reinstall anything. You're good to go!

I suggest going to places like

http:www.versiontracker.com

and specifically,

http://www.macupdate.com for oodles and oodles of free mac software goodness. I use macupdate.com all the time, whats nice about it is you can type macupdate.com/calculator and it will bring up all the calculator related apps.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Thanks MM! I wonder how much space I would save by reinstalling without OS9 stuff anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Thanks MM! I wonder how much space I would save by reinstalling without OS9 stuff anyway.

There is no OS 9 support on Intel Macs.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I suggest going to places like

http:www.versiontracker.com

and specifically,

http://www.macupdate.com for oodles and oodles of free mac software goodness. I use macupdate.com all the time, whats nice about it is you can type macupdate.com/calculator and it will bring up all the calculator related apps.

Do you subscribe to either service?