OMFG ! Battlestar Galactica Ep 20!!!! WTF! [Spoiler Warning]

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Major spoiler warning. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED EPISODE 20.

So, after the mucking around of the past 6 or so episodes, the totally bizarre Starbuck suicide, then.

THIS

OMFG.

And that's it for BSG until 2008, so is the rumour. Someone tell me it ain't true...

But in my heart, Ep 20 is the classic no-holds-barred http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_de_gr%C3%A2ce of Season 03.

Word.

Now to *get*, well *continue* my real life - I've got a job, I guess that's a start...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I'll be amused to see how they'll explain starbuck not dying.

Then again, we could've seen this coming from a mile away.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

Yeah.... It was pretty obvious. Though I thought they'd bring her back in only in Season 04.

Starbuck is the 5th of the Final Five, I'm guessing....
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I loved the pull out and pull in through the galaxy graphics at the end. Was pretty cool. Gave me the "ooooh" feeling I haven't felt since "Contact".
  • Reply 4 of 29
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Truly one of their best episodes. It's my gut feeling that this will bring more elements from the original in like the ship of lights etc.

Only done better of course.

After all during " Maelstrom " Leobin said that he wasn't Leobin. Implying he was someone else.

My gut feeling also says they will wrap this up next year and all will be revealed.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I'm still waiting for the Moore's podcast commentary. Should be good.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah.... It was pretty obvious. Though I thought they'd bring her back in only in Season 04.

Starbuck is the 5th of the Final Five, I'm guessing....

Considering that in the episode where Lucy Lawless (#3) has the vision of the final five at the temple there's a pan-out of Starbuck right before the credits roll, yeah, I think so.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

My vote is for Lee having a Head Starbuck!

And IMHO, the four who heard the music are a Red Herring, not the true Final Five. After all, Col. Tigh predates the Cylon revolution, much less the 'skinjobs'; and Adm. Adama has known Tigh for over 40 years, and gotten older together, etc. As far as we know, skinjob cylons don't age...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Somebody want to explain what the heck the "All Along the Watchtower" bit was about? I was actually pretty into the episode until I realized that it was a Dylan/Hendrix tune. It seemed so out of place that to some extent it snapped the fantasy, Where are they going with this?

WOOT!: 500th post!
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I agree about the "All Along the Watchtower" bit. How did music from earth get on a ship of people looking for earth. The Cylons must have done it

Remember that episode where the Chief and Cally get blown out the airlock? The Chief faired so much better than Cally after being decompressed. Well now we know why. He also has a half toaster half human baby.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Somebody want to explain what the heck the "All Along the Watchtower" bit was about? I was actually pretty into the episode until I realized that it was a Dylan/Hendrix tune. It seemed so out of place that to some extent it snapped the fantasy, Where are they going with this?

WOOT!: 500th post!

Check out this site for an interesting interpretation of the lyrics VS the show.

And congrats on 500!
  • Reply 11 of 29
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Check out this site for an interesting interpretation of the lyrics VS the show.

And congrats on 500!

Appreciate the link. Its a nice bit of science fiction that leaves so much room for profound thoughts on a song that has been around in various forms for over 3 decades. In the absence of any "official" commentary by way Ron Moore's podcast, the explanation offered in the link you provided is as good as any.

From an artistic point of view, I maintain that the use of a relatively modern song like "All Along the Watchtower" is jarring in the style that the new BSG has established. I suspect that it must have been done deliberately, but sadly we will have to wait until 2008 to figure out where this is all going.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Appreciate the link. Its a nice bit of science fiction that leaves so much room for profound thoughts on a song that has been around in various forms for over 3 decades. In the absence of any "official" commentary by way Ron Moore's podcast, the explanation offered in the link you provided is as good as any.

From an artistic point of view, I maintain that the use of a relatively modern song like "All Along the Watchtower" is jarring in the style that the new BSG has established. I suspect that it must have been done deliberately, but sadly we will have to wait until 2008 to figure out where this is all going.

I'm gonna watch the last 10 minutes again. I think the build-up was quite alright, I understand the "jarring" effect some may feel.

I think though that the "song" they kept hearing had a persian/ middle eastern/ tribal/ ethnic feel to it all along, and then towards the end it evolved to a full on rock-out song, which I personally thought was cool.

Yeah, definitely ethinc/ tribal overlay tones throughout the rockin' .... so some link to the BSG style. IMHO.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

And congrats on 500!

Cool, for the record, Bob Dylan song apparently. Yes, something about the Joker and the Thief ... One referring to Cylons and Humans.

Also, there is a vague reference to Wolfmother's [Grammy Award Winners] "Joker and the Thief" ("....let me tell you the story about the joker and the thief....") or something like that.

...Just throwing in Wolfmother because they're an Australian band and just won a Grammy recently.........
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

...My gut feeling also says they will wrap this up next year and all will be revealed.

Yeah, a four-season arc. Reasonable, and very contemporary science fiction. I still say Babylon5 and DeepSpaceNine had more solid, longer story arcs, though in this day and age (2005 onwards), they would be considered "too cheesy".

BSG has been fun but pretty confusing, creative, but somewhat confusing and open-ended.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

My vote is for Lee having a Head Starbuck!

And IMHO, the four who heard the music are a Red Herring, not the true Final Five. After all, Col. Tigh predates the Cylon revolution, much less the 'skinjobs'; and Adm. Adama has known Tigh for over 40 years, and gotten older together, etc. As far as we know, skinjob cylons don't age...

Heh. Lee's hallucinating Starbuck. Nice.

Red Herrings? Possibly. But given that the "final five" are progenitors of sorts, we don't know how they came about. Tigh's pretty old, so it dates back quite far. It is possible that because they are the progenitors, they could have been "created" a long while back during cylon wars where all the humans saw were toasters not skinjobs...

From how "primitive" the humans are [besides spaceflight and faster-than-light travel ] it is possible they invented and refined cylons hundreds of years ago. And the cylon revolt could have happened a hundred years ago in this scenario (BSG reimagined not BSG original).

OK. Enough nerding out for now.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Is there any rule where I Cylon can't take over someones identity? Maybe Tigh has been replaced.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    We're told...

The Cylons were created by humans.

They evolved.

They have a plan.

The Temple that Chief found, and D'Anna activated was what, 3000 years old? So how did she manage to see the Final Five from it? Unless...

Who says that the chrome Cylons are the original ones? The colonies were a diaspora from somewhere else, so maybe, just maybe, the humanoid Cylons have been around much, much longer than suspected. They *were* created by humans, pre-diaspora, they *have* evolved, and they've been waiting for a very long time to engage their plan.

The chrome Cylons, a recent re-invention of lost technology, were just adopted by them as their dumb little cousins when they met somewhere 'out there' after the First Cylon War, a couple decades ago. An opportunity was seen, and voila. Plan engages.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

We're told...

The Cylons were created by humans.

They evolved.

They have a plan.

The Temple that Chief found, and D'Anna activated was what, 3000 years old? So how did she manage to see the Final Five from it? Unless...

Who says that the chrome Cylons are the original ones? The colonies were a diaspora from somewhere else, so maybe, just maybe, the humanoid Cylons have been around much, much longer than suspected. They *were* created by humans, pre-diaspora, they *have* evolved, and they've been waiting for a very long time to engage their plan.

The chrome Cylons, a recent re-invention of lost technology, were just adopted by them as their dumb little cousins when they met somewhere 'out there' after the First Cylon War, a couple decades ago. An opportunity was seen, and voila. Plan engages.

mua ha ha hah ha . Yay. This dovetails nicely into my "progenitor" concept above.

Thanks Kickaha

The big questions are

(A) What is earth now,

(B) if humans started from earth, then left, then why did the 13th tribe go "back" to earth?

(C) What has Kobol got to do with their "origins" -- was it the first colony after some exodus from 21st-century earth 4,000-5000 years ago?

(D) When exactly were Cylons made, what models, how they evolved, chromes, skinjobs, "final five" (first "five") first who?? How many wars with them??

Well, the producers are probably making things up along the way anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Is there any rule where I Cylon can't take over someones identity? Maybe Tigh has been replaced.

Good idea. I think this could be an ace up the sleeve of the writers/producers ...The show has a lot to do with memory, consciousness, downloading/ uploading, "ecosystem" awareness, "activation" by a "childhood tune", some cylons aware, some not, some hallucinate, some don't.... wooo
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

My vote is for Lee having a Head Starbuck! ...

I am no South Park fan by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason this popped into my head [heh, pun unintended] when you said "Head Starbuck".