Jobs talks new iTunes functions, DRM and video, iPod storage [transcript]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

But your saying that this case and the Apple/EMI deal weakens the DMCA. That's not the case. Neither issue involves the DMCA at all. The DMCA makes it illegal to bypass copy protection. The DVD CCA/Kaleidescape issue is about how the playback is controlled. And the Apple/EMI deal has no copy protection. Neither issue touches the DMCA, nor does either one weaken it. Our real hope is political, that congress upholds the consumers right to time-shift, space-shift or what-ever-shift media that we have purchased for our own personal use.

I think you missed my point about the Apple/EMI agreement.

The point was that they DON"T have DRM. Not that they do. And yes, the solution there is political. And this can help that. It is, after all, the media companies that insisted on the DMCa in the first place.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During a press conference on Monday, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs announced that iTunes will soon begin selling DRM-free music tracks from record label EMI...

TOTALLY, FREEKING, 1000%, AWSOME, GENIUS, SWEET, MIRACULOUS, ORGASMIC!

Quote:

$0.30 price increase

This TOTALLY SUCKS. Very STUPID. Heck, I think $0.99 per track is high. So, Apple, lower the price of the DRM-infected songs - because with DRM they really are not worth anything anyway. And then make the new DRM-free content $0.99 per track. Now that I could handle.

Quote:

Q: I take it then that you are going to advocate taking the DRM off of the videos you sell on iTunes. Any particular [inaudible] you could do that with the Disney company?

A: You know, video, uh... I knew I'd get that question today. Video is pretty different than music right now because the video industry does not distribute 90 percent of their content DRM free; never has, and so I think they are in a pretty different situation and so I wouldn't hold the two in parallel at all.

Dear Steve... I would really like the movies/video content I buy from iTunes to be just as interoperable as the new DRM-free music I will be able to buy from iTunes. I don't give a flying rats @$$ what percentage of movies are already distributed with or without DRM. Make it happen, Steve! I refuse to buy ANYTHING with DRM. Period. When the iTunes movies and Videos go DRM-free, and, oh yea.. better quality, THEN, and only THEN will I buy any video/movie content from iTunes!
  • Reply 63 of 70
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    How many EMI tracks are on iTunes? Does anyone know?
  • Reply 64 of 70
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Perhaps one could say that freedom always costs more than bondage but that would be rather trite in the context of DRM on entertainment mediums...

For folks clamoring for DRM free music its time to put up.

Vinea

I disagree! I live in the UK and pay 40% income tax, 17.5% VAT on almost everything I buy and 3%-4% stamp duty (3%-4% of the value of the house goes to the government) when I buy a house. This is bondage and this is expensive!

• Reply 65 of 70
    nyyarknyyark Posts: 1member
    I can't help but think that this lends credence to that leopard bittorrent rumor that was flying around a while ago...
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

TOTALLY, FREEKING, 1000%, AWSOME, GENIUS, SWEET, MIRACULOUS, ORGASMIC!

This TOTALLY SUCKS. Very STUPID. Heck, I think $0.99 per track is high. So, Apple, lower the price of the DRM-infected songs - because with DRM they really are not worth anything anyway. And then make the new DRM-free content $0.99 per track. Now that I could handle.

Dear Steve... I would really like the movies/video content I buy from iTunes to be just as interoperable as the new DRM-free music I will be able to buy from iTunes. I don't give a flying rats @$$ what percentage of movies are already distributed with or without DRM. Make it happen, Steve! I refuse to buy ANYTHING with DRM. Period. When the iTunes movies and Videos go DRM-free, and, oh yea.. better quality, THEN, and only THEN will I buy any video/movie content from iTunes!

Well, you are certainly one-sided about this!

Aren't you willing to understand that Apple, just like any other company has to balance the needs of various constituencies? The providers want to charge more, not less.

When you get more of something, you normally pay more. You may not like it, but then just admit that YOU aren't happy. That would be fine. But demanding that it change to suit you, when when most people seem to be satisfied, is useless.

Whether we feel that going without DRM will help the companies or harm them, doesn't matter. It's what THEY think will happen that matters, unless the higher quality DRMless songs don't sell. And that's your opportunity to tell them something. Don't buy them.

To say that the over 2 billion songs that people have bought from iTunes because they thought they were worth it, aren't worth it, is interesting, to say the least.

Videos are a different matter. It's too early to know what will happen in the long run.

But, again, remember, it's not Apple's ability to decide what will happen here either. They have to negotiate their deals. They get something, and they give something.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I disagree! I live in the UK and pay 40% income tax, 17.5% VAT on almost everything I buy and 3%-4% stamp duty (3%-4% of the value of the house goes to the government) when I buy a house. This is bondage and this is expensive!

It's sad, but you do get that wonderful National Health Plan. You Britions like waiting on lines, right?
  • Reply 68 of 70
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

If you're paying that much tax, your income is cushy enough. If you wanna swap places, be my guest!

(I'm house-hunting at the moment. In my price range there is no stamp duty. Alas, I can't afford anything more expensive.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's sad, but you do get that wonderful National Health Plan. You Britions like waiting on lines, right?

Heh.

The NHS isn't so bad. I worked it out once, that had I lived in America I'd have spent a few thousand on drugs that I got for negligible cost here. Yeah, the service sucks, but at least it's free.

Amorya
  • Reply 69 of 70
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

If you're paying that much tax, your income is cushy enough. If you wanna swap places, be my guest!

Well said.

Although, having said that, the fact that stamp duty applies to the whole price, rather than just the amount above the threshold is a bitch. e.g. The stamp duty for houses priced £125,000 to £250,000 is 1%, between £250,000 and £500,000 it's 3%, and over £500,000 it's 4%. This means that if I buy a house for £250,000 the stamp duty is £2500, but I buy one for £250,001 and suddenly the stamp duty is £7500.03!! This has the effect of creating price voids between approx. £250,000 to £270,000 and £500,000 to £550,000. (anything within those bands is likely to be negotiated down below the relevant stamp-duty threshold).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Yeah, the service sucks, but at least it's free.

It doesn't completely suck. The (thankfully little) service I've received has been good. Yes, I had to wait, but once it was my turn I was dealt with very well.

Sorry for the seriously off-topic post.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sorry for the seriously off-topic post.

It's ok, we live for them!