Best External Hard Drive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I've been using 2 external drives from Other World Computing for about a year and have had no issues.

The Mercury Elite Pros are great, and my son bought one of their Neptune drives and has had good luck with it too.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

I've been using 2 external drives from Other World Computing for about a year and have had no issues.

The Mercury Elite Pros are great, and my son bought one of their Neptune drives and has had good luck with it too.

For what it's worth--Consumer Reportsl rated the Iomega the highest--I just ordered one---we'll

see.

another thing if the external drive fails, you always have the one on the computer--if they both fail simultaneously it would be really unusual, and in that case one is screwed.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

another thing if the external drive fails, you always have the one on the computer--if they both fail simultaneously it would be really unusual, and in that case one is screwed.

It's unusual, but it can happen in a lightning strike, flood or other disaster.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    partitioning--i just got a 400gb seagate as above (more bulky than my iomega) so when i partition for my macbooks do i split it for 200 each or leave a third partition for future growth??

i have 2 macbooks 120gb to backup
  • Reply 25 of 25
    steste Posts: 119member
    I've never owned an external hard drive before, so I did some research before finally settling on the G-Tech G Drive Q 500GB.

Part of my research involved reading the MacWorld article mentioned above. While it was useful in pointing me in the right direction re. the kind of features I should look for in an external HD, it seems to me the article was rather two-dimensional. Surely, the whole point of buying an external HD is to keep valuable files safe for (hopefully) a long period of time. Reliability is paramount to me, and worth paying a few extra dollars for. I'm quite sure MacWorld's survey -- well-intentioned as it was -- wasn't extensive enough to even touch on long-term considerations; they just ran a few tests and declared the LaCie to be the winner.

My own investigations revealed widely varying reliability issues with both LaCie and Western Digital. The only drives I couldn't find a bad word about -- except for one dumb comment about them not powering up and down automatically -- was the G-Techs.

Anyway, my G Drive Q should arrive this week, so we shall see.