Your favourite country?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

I think my favorite country is Switzerland... It's hard to explain, but I think it is the best b/c it has so many different characteristics. I'd probably move to switzerland, even though i can't speak French/German... I like Switzerland b/c every time I go, it's always so pretty...and cool.

Good choice

I live in Switzerland and I'm quite happy here. Expensive as hell, but otherwise very nice. Zurich is quite international (at least for Swiss standards), so you'll be OK without German.

Places where I would live include the SF Bay Area, Barcelona and Vienna. And Montpelier, VT. I have never been to Asia or South America, so I probably missed a lot of interesting places.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Townsville was nice.

It may be nice, but somewhat unoriginally named.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Turkey has to be in with a shout. Istanbul is one of my favourite cities along with NYC.

Personally I wouldn't live there for a few reasons but it has to be on the shortlist - without doubt it will be a major European city in 10 - 20 years and the chances of making some big money there right now are massive.

If politics is out of the equation (and I guess it should be) you have to say it comes down to the US West Coast, Tuscany or Provence/Lot maybe in France.

My father and his wife went to Turkey as part of a cruise last year. They said Istanbul was incredible.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

It may be nice, but somewhat unoriginally named.

... my kids kept looking for the Power Puff Girls...
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Turkey has to be in with a shout. Istanbul is one of my favourite cities along with NYC.

I'm heading there this summer for my sister's wedding (part 2 of 2). Part one is tomorrow! Since my soon-to-be brother in law is Turkish, they have to go and have weddings all over the world.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I think i like to live in Australia, because i like animals, i want to see kangaroo.

• Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

Yes , it has the perfect blend of history and modernity....the US are pumping a hell of a lot of money into it right now to make it a kind of Dubai of Europe and a buffer between east/west in the WOT.

Trump is building a marina there I hear....

If I can ever afford the boat I mentioned above (not likely on a teacher's salary), maybe I'll have enough left over to afford to visit good old Donald in turkey! Can just imagine the docking fees he would charge.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Anyone here live in Christchurch NZ? What is it like?

• Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

too bad most tropical nations have recurring political problems...

Costa Rica...

Also, Hong Kong is only good for men, women get groped on the public transit constantly.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My father and his wife went to Turkey as part of a cruise last year. They said Istanbul was incredible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Segovius

Yes , it has the perfect blend of history and modernity....the US are pumping a hell of a lot of money into it right now to make it a kind of Dubai of Europe and a buffer between east/west in the WOT.

Trump is building a marina there I hear....

I have heard the same thing about Istambul. I have a couple of good friends who have travelled extensively(try 80 countries) and when asked what their favourite city is they say it's Istambul.

Let me guess....Trump Marina?

I wouldn't mind living in Montecito, CA (of course, I'm millions of dollars short for that). I think mid to northern CA is gorgeous. The rest of the time it would have to be Spain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Costa Rica...

Costa Rica is nice and becoming more and more Americanized. My family owns coffee plantations in neighbor El Salvador(beautiful before the war) so I've been to CR a few times.

By the way. I've been to San Sebastian, Spain and that part of the Basque country is awesome.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Hong Kong is a nice place where women dodn't get groped but wallets go missing and you have to be careful avoid people spitting. Also watch out for the street hawkers who will sell you, the unknowing tourist, a T-shirt for 25 HKD and turn out and sell one to the next guy for 8 HKD. Otherwise it is a great place to visit. Lantau Island is a lovely escape (the campground, the mountains, the fort) and Victoria Peak is spectacular.

Too bad anybody going there now doesn't get the landing from hell (the old airport demanded hair-raising paths right over buildings) nor can they visit the incredible Chungking Mansion. That was worth the visit all unto itself!

Japan is where girls get groped on trains; the trains are so overpacked that it is hard not to be smashed onto someone.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Actually, I think you're confusing it with Japan.

A female relative of mine complained about the groping when she lived in Hong Kong for a year, but maybe Japan was even worse.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Montréal and/or..a deserted island. Maybe even Burlington, VT.

Public transit...it's a good education.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

Good choice

I live in Switzerland and I'm quite happy here. Expensive as hell...

You should try the U.K., especially London for that. I don't find Switzerland expensive, more like (very) good value for many.

And in answer to the original question, China. Because that's where the future lies and the Chinese I have met, I rather like.

- T. I.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Actually, I think you're confusing it with Japan. I've never ever heard that it's a problem here. About 1 or 2 cases make the news per year, and there is a significant public awareness campaign.

My dad did have his wallet lifted in 1998 though.

How is Hong Kong these days, I haven't been there since 1994. How is it going since the transfer? I don't imagine the Chinese would be dumb enough to mess with it too much and chance wrecking the economy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Too bad anybody going there now doesn't get the landing from hell (the old airport demanded hair-raising paths right over buildings)

Never flew in (I went there several times in the Navy) but remember watching the planes coming in, looked like a wild ride! And IIRC, if they overshot the runway, they'd end up smack into some buildings?

As for where I want to live, I'm happy with living in Denial!

Seriously, Canada is nice, but obviously would be a summer place. Thailand is beautiful for the beach life. Overall I would probably say Hawaii, still part of the US but beautiful year round.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Tijuana, Mexico.

The donkeys are great. The girls are great. The shows are great.

You get the picture.

Ah, T.J. I have some nice fuzzy memories of that town! Just don't drink the water!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

So if you have a cheap place to stay and can manage on foot/bicycle/the Tube, London's not really that bad...

Not that bad at all? all though you?re definitely right about the expense. Unless you want to live in fairly crap Greater London suburb, like I do.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jim_apple View Post

I think i like to live in Australia, because i like animals, i want to see kangaroo.

There ya go...

Don't know if you've ever eaten Kangaroo but its good tucker...

Aquafire..Yummmmmm.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I had a kangaroo pie once. For the americans who aren't familiar with the concept of meat pies, no, kangaroo pie is not of the same classification as cow pie.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    ehmacehmac Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Seriously, Canada is nice, but obviously would be a summer place.

Lots of people love Canada for the winters too. Whistler Mountain, the Ottawa Valley... some really nice places.