Macbook and Macbook pro case redesign?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xhorxhi View Post

Not to put all those who think Titanium is expensive in their place, but I would gently remind everyone here that the number of cases being stamped out and the guage of material being used does not have very much substantial cost increase compared to other more costly components and engineering issues. So IF Apple used titanium it would not be much of an issue. The Aluminum MacBooks have heavier guage skin than the TiBooks and seem much stiffer to me than TiBooks. Titanium and its strength applications in structural engineering have little to do with its application as a covering on TiBooks. IT was mostly a gimmick though the titainium is less apt to dent and is much more scratch resistant than aluminum.

I agree the titanium was primarily a gimmick, but it certainly contributes to everything that makes the PBG4 the nicest-looking computer I've ever seen. Sure, I wish they'd worked out the paint issue in advance, but I purchased this machine knowing it would chip eventually - and it has - so I'm not disappointed in the least. Even with the chipping, I still am asked occasionally about this computer, what it is, etc. People admire it.

Again, aside from the paint chipping along the front, this machine is in pristine condition, and it has travelled with me on 2 cross-country road trips, numerous airplane rides, and thousands upon thousands of trips in my backpack to and from various jobs, schools, and classrooms. I'm (obviously) more than impressed that it's held up so well.

Enough of my gushing. I'm a little protective of this little guy - he's done a lot for me.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xhorxhi View Post

I apriceate (HAAA could not resist!!!) that you agree about the TiBook hinges. But I have to boost the understatement; Those TiBook hinges aren't just fragile, they SUCK!

I was being polite
  • Reply 23 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I think the last model TiBook had solid steel hinges. And were probably the physically strongest part of the chassis.

Like I said earlier. Not sure about Titanium being a novely. The TiBook was more rigid and lighter than the Aluminum models.

All this talk has me in the mood to do some designin'.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I would love the ports to go to the back again. I hate the side ports.

A smaller rim around the screen would be nice as well, but with the iSight built-in, it might be necessary.

Two trackpad buttons please. Right now Apple has a two handed mouse, one for the pad/mouse and one for the control key.

I like the single colour, although I do think some of the materials feel a bit cheap.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

I would love the ports to go to the back again. I hate the side ports.

A smaller rim around the screen would be nice as well, but with the iSight built-in, it might be necessary.

Two trackpad buttons please. Right now Apple has a two handed mouse, one for the pad/mouse and one for the control key.

I like the single colour, although I do think some of the materials feel a bit cheap.

what are you talking about? all you have to do is put two fingers on the trackpad and click to do a secondary click if you have it enabled in system preferences.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't like the current MacBook Pro keyboard, and I'm also holding out for LED backlight.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    personally, i love both the current MB and MBP designs
  • Reply 28 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

I prefer the material used in the Pro model, and the specs along with the screen size, but I prefer the MacBook keybaord and latchless enclosure. I will get the next MacBook Pro if I see improvements that I crave, like Magnetic latch, different, more solid feeling keyboard, LED backlight and a few other small things.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I prefer the material used in the Pro model, and the specs along with the screen size, but I prefer the MacBook keybaord and latchless enclosure. I will get the next MacBook Pro if I see improvements that I crave, like Magnetic latch, different, more solid feeling keyboard, LED backlight and a few other small things.

i also really like the pro material, but i ended up getting a macbook; the price was right, so were the specs. though the design is really nice too
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

What are you doing here, then? This is the complaining board! You must really be trying to stir things up...
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

What are you doing here, then? This is the complaining board! You must really be trying to stir things up...

haha I'm just saying that i don't think major facelifts are needed on either product. subtle refinements maybe
  • Reply 32 of 42
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    Realistically, I think the only options for a case redesign on the upcoming Macbook Pro are a new keyboard (ala Macbook, still backlit), a magnetic latch, and maybe a new material or color, not much else is going to change.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:

im in love with both designs right now, personally i have no idea what they could do to make them better. But, the MBP would get an update before the MB because the MB just got a facelift.

I agree that both designs are good, but I remeber feeling the same sort of "love" for the sunflower-like iMac w/ floating display. I could not have dreamed of anything that anyone could do to build a cooler or better iMac. All I have to say is "Jonathan Ive". Case closed.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Realistically, I think the only options for a case redesign on the upcoming Macbook Pro are a new keyboard (ala Macbook, still backlit), a magnetic latch, and maybe a new material or color, not much else is going to change.

Tony, I think you could very possibly be correct. But the MacBook debuted after the MBPro, so Jonathan Ive and his team had more time to create that design. I think that the magnetic latch is probable, but I am not as certain about the keyboard. It will be backlit, but I'm not certain that the look of the MacBook keyboard suits the MBPro. But then again, who can say? Jon Ive and Co. have shocked my socks off about twelve-too-many times for me to doubt anything they work on.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    srewopsrewop Posts: 28member
    I would really like to see a triangular design. That's innovation!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    I have searched several case for Macbook Pro. You all know that there are two types of case.

1. Bag style

2. Plastic style

I personally liked plastic case so I surfed around and bought Macbook Pro Case at Macbook Pro Case
  • Reply 37 of 42
    How do you improve on the current MacBook Pro design when it is already very good?

I can think of several improvments:
    • Same screen size smaller overall form factor

• Reduced weight

• Thinner depth

• Large capacity SSD hard drives (250 Gb would be nice)

• Additional USB ports

• Longer battery life

• Same keyboard as MacBook Air

• larger gesture-enabled trackpad

• Higher resolution LED screens

The current aluminium design is superb - arguably the best of any laptop available - you certainly wouldn't want to change that, but within the basic shape, surely there is scope for refinement.

(I wonder how much thinner they could make the MBA before they had problems squeezing in a DVD drive?)
  • Reply 38 of 42
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by User_Experience View Post

How do you improve on the current MacBook Pro design when it is already very good?

I can think of several improvments:
    • Same screen size smaller overall form factor

• Reduced weight

• Thinner depth

• Large capacity SSD hard drives (250 Gb would be nice)

• Additional USB ports

• Longer battery life

• Same keyboard as MacBook Air

• larger gesture-enabled trackpad

• Higher resolution LED screens

The current aluminium design is superb - arguably the best of any laptop available - you certainly wouldn't want to change that, but within the basic shape, surely there is scope for refinement.

(I wonder how much thinner they could make the MBA before they had problems squeezing in a DVD drive?)

Amen to everything except the keyboard and the aluminium. I'd love to see a backlit transluscent black keyboard like a cross between the Air and the old Tibook keyboards: nice, firm, classy-looking keys + a good clickety feeling under the fingertips. I'd also like to see alum swapped for carbon fibre but with heat issues etc. I think that's unlikely. Sadly, I think the Air has also scuppered our chances of seeing another 12" MBP. Shame.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Here lies one of the major problems trying to figure out how to do a redesign. I personally refuse to buy a MBP right now because of the old-style keyboard. I can't type on it. So, no matter what happens, one of us will be upset.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

Is there a point? A $15k car will last longer than a $3k computer. Yup, sounds about right.

Perhaps some enterprising company will help customers to surgically relocate MacBook innards to ToughBook cases.