Apple's Mac OS X may gain multi-sized icon interface

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    There are several. I use Blue Harvest.

In fact, most of Finder's flaws are handled wel by 3rd-party developers. I just wish Apple added them as default. There is even an app that will read Windows .LNK shortcut files from OS X called WinShortcutter.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Instead of giving us multi-sized icons, which NOBODY needs or wants, why doesn't Apple learn something from Path Finder and update the damn Finder?

Well, I sure want it.

I have a lot of Photoshop and other picturefiles, who I like to set at maximum size (256) for easy viewing. But with the other file icons and folders in there it looks awfull.

So now you have a nice preview of your pictures, and HUGE folders or other file icons next to it. Very unbalanced and unnecessary.

Apple should make it an option. Then if you don't like it, don't use it.
  • Reply 43 of 86

I forgot about the command line option to keep them from even being created in the first place. Thanks. :-)

MacOSXHints.com should be the homepage for all switchers. The main site and it's forum are, in my opinion, the best places to really get a firm grasp on OS X's capabilities.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

And as mentioned above, Finder is pretty brain-dead when it comes to network shares which disappear.

Are you sure abou that? I don't think it's a problem in the latest update released (10.4.9) I seem to recall the network share disappeard, I never saw a spinning beach ball and then an alert window informed me the share had disappeard and it let me disconnect from it. I think they finally fixed it!
  • Reply 45 of 86
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xapplimatic View Post

Some may think this idea odd, or a no brainer, but I have wished for it several times so that I could make applications and their support files stored in the same drawer more distinct than having to manually trudge about for the app in a minefield of various not uniform other icons...

Why would you need to do this with any regularity? Your most-used apps should be one click away by means of icons in the Dock, and there are various ways to set up easy access to a folder full of aliases for your other, less-used apps. Nobody lauches apps by hunting for the application file in a "minefield of various not uniform other icons." Icon View is silly anyway, presenting the user with way too much visual clutter to quickly find anything. Personally, I use column view exclusively and have even disabled "icons" altogether in Finder View Options. I also write filenames in all lowercase without spaces (emulating, ironically, Windows' brain-dead requirement of years gone by). Folder names have initial caps and word spaces. This makes it very easy to distinguish files from folders at a glance.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Is it just me or does it seem pretty asinine that you this concept can be patented? Stripping away the technical jargon, it comes down to "multiple sized objects on screen simultaneously." Hardly a revolutionary concept.

From Arnaud Gourdol's blog: Are Software Patents Detrimental to Innovation? "A patent cannot be used to protect an idea or concept. It has to protect a specific manner to accomplish something."

According to his resume he worked at Apple from 1992 to 2001.

The patent application No. 20070079255 was filed last December but is a divisional of application Ser. No. 09/478,006 filed Jan. 5, 2000.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    You can patent this? Another example of how ridiculous the US patent system has become.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Last December? Seems like it's from around 1999.

Honestly, I don't see this particular idea as very promising. Seems messy, confusing, and awkward. I don't want a folder to be absolutely enormous just because it, say, contains 100 or even 500 items.

I do see a use for this. Often, in a folder there is one item that you need to access. Making this one item larger will make it easier to select it. Your eyes will automatically be drawn to the larger item.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    tinktink Posts: 395member

Sorry to be redundant. Sorry to be redundant. Sorry to be..... but after getting yesterdays Apple Developer Connection email invitation to WWDC 2007 the more I think the Finder will be utilizing the core strengths of the OS like Core Animation. Obviously nothing in the invite says that, but hay ... it all comes together at WWDC.

We all know that Apple likes to highlight and utilize their own tech wherever and whenever they can. I think the Finder will be one of these "Apps" .

There is so much there with spotlight, core data, core animation, etc. that can be truly useful to the Finder and to showcase the tech..... \
  • Reply 50 of 86
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is it?[list][*] I'd like to be able to set Finder windows up once and have them remain where I put them the next time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. But I hate when I set a Finder window to List view and then when you click on another folder the view changes to something else. I would be nice to make a selection and have it be universal no matter where you go afterwards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*] I'd like for my entire system not to freeze when it can't find a previously used network share.

I have never had this happen. Can you force quit/relaunch the finder?

I think Leopard will FTFF. This will be one of those secret features, as tink suggested.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. But I hate when I set a Finder window to List view and then when you click on another folder the view changes to something else. I would be nice to make a selection and have it be universal no matter where you go afterwards.

Exactly that. If I change the View then leave the View where I put it. If I de/increase the Finder's window size then leave the Finder's windows size that way until I change it.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Why would you need to do this with any regularity? Your most-used apps should be one click away by means of icons in the Dock, and there are various ways to set up easy access to a folder full of aliases for your other, less-used apps. Nobody lauches apps by hunting for the application file in a "minefield of various not uniform other icons." Icon View is silly anyway, presenting the user with way too much visual clutter to quickly find anything. Personally, I use column view exclusively and have even disabled "icons" altogether in Finder View Options. I also write filenames in all lowercase without spaces (emulating, ironically, Windows' brain-dead requirement of years gone by). Folder names have initial caps and word spaces. This makes it very easy to distinguish files from folders at a glance.

That's just you. Other people prefer it otherwise. When Apple announced that column view was going to be the only was of using the Finder, people revolted, and rightly so.

There is a place for both, because neither is ideal for all situations.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    This is what I used to use to have multiple sized icons:

http://www.pixture.com/software/macosx.php
  • Reply 54 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Icon View is silly anyway, presenting the user with way too much visual clutter to quickly find anything.

Except when browsing folders full of images, the are all previewed at the same time rather than the paltry one at a time with column view. It would be nice if they offered this for PDFs and show a sample poster frame or album cover of videos too.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Icon View is silly anyway, presenting the user with way too much visual clutter to quickly find anything. Personally, I use column view exclusively and have even disabled "icons" altogether in Finder View Options. I also write filenames in all lowercase without spaces (emulating, ironically, Windows' brain-dead requirement of years gone by). Folder names have initial caps and word spaces. This makes it very easy to distinguish files from folders at a glance.

I also much prefer column view for almost all my finder windows, a major attraction being able to see previews of PDFs and videos. I don't use your habits for naming, though. There's nothing wrong with using caps and spaces for file names since they make the file names easier to read, especially if they're long. I use all caps for folder names to distinguish them from files, but I still use spaces in them. I'd have no use at all for this multi-size interface.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I didn't realize Steve Jobs was doing software development in addition to being CEO, on the BOD at Disney, and giving numerous presentations and interviews. Man, he must be a busy guy...

Supposedly he sets the tone for the development.

I've seen noted in several places that Apple doesn't code to their own human interface guidelines that much anymore, nor have they updated those guidelines for more modern apps.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I have never had this happen. Can you force quit/relaunch the finder?

I think Leopard will FTFF. This will be one of those secret features, as tink suggested.

Force relaunching the finder never seemed to help me when it hung up.

But as I already said, they fixed it in 10.4.9. Am I the only one excited by that?
  • Reply 58 of 86
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Are you sure abou that? I don't think it's a problem in the latest update released (10.4.9) I seem to recall the network share disappeard, I never saw a spinning beach ball and then an alert window informed me the share had disappeard and it let me disconnect from it. I think they finally fixed it!

Yeah, it has gotten better of late. Another quirk which annoys me though is, when connected to SMB shares, if you put the computer to sleep and then wake it up again, it automatically disconnects you from the share without giving you any notice.

Perhaps there's nothing in the SMB protocol for maintaining connections across sleep sessions, but at least give notice when you disconnect a share and possibly give the option to reconnect to it.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    I'd be willing to bet my new car that no matter what patent clerk views such an application, they would undoubtedly reject it with the claim that it "can be easily devised by anyone skilled in the art and thus does not constitute a new innovation."
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:

Yeah, it has gotten better of late. Another quirk which annoys me though is, when connected to SMB shares, if you put the computer to sleep and then wake it up again, it automatically disconnects you from the share without giving you any notice.

Perhaps there's nothing in the SMB protocol for maintaining connections across sleep sessions, but at least give notice when you disconnect a share and possibly give the option to reconnect to it.

I wouldn't know. I try to avoid connecting to windows machines if it all possible