Viruses, worms, port infiltrators, Hack the OSX?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Mike or Greg,

Any suggestions for Google keywords? So far, all the ones I've tried have not taken me anywhere that describes such diagrams.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Mike or Greg,

Any suggestions for Google keywords? So far, all the ones I've tried have not taken me anywhere that describes such diagrams.

Honestly, I think you're overcomplicating it. It just shows how systems interconnect. For example, BSD and Mach together make the kernel (XNU), and they contain the I/O Kit, drivers, POSIX, file systems, etc.

It looks complicated, and it does have some developer and OS X jargon, but looks are deceiving. It's pretty simple.

Apple had similar diagrams when OS X first came out, but obviously with less jargon. And they looked prettier

You can find a similar, simpler diagram here: http://developer.apple.com/macosx/ar...ure/index.html
  • Reply 23 of 24
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Honestly, I think you're overcomplicating it. It just shows how systems interconnect. For example, BSD and Mach together make the kernel (XNU), and they contain the I/O Kit, drivers, POSIX, file systems, etc.

It looks complicated, and it does have some developer and OS X jargon, but looks are deceiving. It's pretty simple.

Apple had similar diagrams when OS X first came out, but obviously with less jargon. And they looked prettier

You can find a similar, simpler diagram here: http://developer.apple.com/macosx/ar...ure/index.html

Greg,

Yeah. I've been reading a lot of stuff in developer.apple.com. All the structure and jargon is starting to coalesce in this non-developer head. Thanks for the info. Nice diagram in your link and elsewhere in developer.apple.com. That site has a very logical organization which, along with the definitions, explains this stuff quite nicely.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Greg,

Yeah. I've been reading a lot of stuff in developer.apple.com. All the structure and jargon is starting to coalesce in this non-developer head. Thanks for the info. Nice diagram in your link and elsewhere in developer.apple.com. That site has a very logical organization which, along with the definitions, explains this stuff quite nicely.

Glad to pay you back for those stock links earlier