High school teens say they'll plunk down $500 for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    yah 500 for a teen isn't much if they work...i mean they don't ever have to use that money for anything else than what they want...
  • Reply 42 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gigawire View Post

This survey is clear evidence that this country is going to hell. I'm sorry, but willing to part with $500 for a wizbang gee whiz cool PHONE is ridiculous in this age bracket.

To the contrary. It's clear evidence that we're the wealthiest nation on Earth and our citizens can afford such luxury items. I'm impressed, and as a completely unbiased AAPL shareholder, heartened by this 'show of hands'.
  • Reply 43 of 143
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To the contrary. It's clear evidence that we're the wealthiest nation on Earth and our citizens can afford such luxury items. I'm impressed, and as a completely unbiased AAPL shareholder, heartened by this 'show of hands'.

Now all you need is a president with a brain.
  • Reply 44 of 143
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't start....
  • Reply 45 of 143
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Will it remain that way as nearly every industrialized nation in the world beats our (US) students in reading, writing, and arithmetic.
  • Reply 46 of 143
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Dear Adults,

Teens have a lot of money. Many work, thus putting money in their pockets. And they don't actually have to support themselves, pay bills, buy groceries, etc.

So they have a pretty big "spending potential" as marketers put it.

Personally, I don't get allowance and I could easily afford an iPhone with my own personal money (not my parents) if I wanted one -- not because I'm a spoiled brat -- I just work and save my money.
  • Reply 47 of 143
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Somewhat surprisingly, nearly 85 percent said they were already familiar with the multi-function Apple gadget

That's not surpising.

Quote:

, and of those students, 25 percent said they'd be willing to buy one at the previously announced $500 entry point.

That is.
  • Reply 48 of 143
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

yah 500 for a teen isn't much if they work...i mean they don't ever have to use that money for anything else than what they want...

Yeah but the necessary data plans and visual voice mail charges and all that other stuff is where they get ya.

If the iphone was just 500 bucks that's it I'm sure a lot more people would get one then are going to. I would.
  • Reply 49 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Will it remain that way as nearly every industrialized nation in the world beats our (US) students in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Those skills are not necessarily what will make one rich. I know this from personal experience. They just make you better in reading, writing and 'rithmetic. People skills - how to communicate, how to give and get from people - are the most important skills one can learn, in my opinion.
  • Reply 50 of 143
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    This is a tale of two countries.

I have no problem believing the survey results. Why? Because I work in a high school.

This particular high school is right on the edge of a major city (Atlanta). All the schools south of us are 95+% black/latino and urban. All the schools north of us are 95+% white and suburban. My own school is a mix.

Some of my students get BMWs on their 16th birthdays. One of my students talked about having two rooms to themselves in their houses, vacationing in Israel or Japan. She did have complaints: like only having a 36" HDTV in her bedroom when her parents have a 60" in theirs. She and her friends trade prescription medications during lunch. They all have iPods. Some have gone through three or four. Some have full-sized ones. Some have nanos--because they're cute. A good chunk of these kids will have iPhones by the start of the fall semester.

Another group take the buses throughout high school, or carpool with the one friend who has a car (they give him/her gas money). They all have jobs, during the week after school (and sometimes during school) and on weekends (which is often why they don't do homework). Some of these jobs are illegal. Most of them have some kind of responsibility at home--cooking, cleaning, paying bills, babysitting. Few have both parents at home. Some live with grandmas or aunts or foster parents. Some live with older brothers or sisters or cousins. Several have a kid of their own. One of my students was born in prison (which was the last time he saw his mother). He was raised by his grandmother in NYC, until he was in 8th grade when his father made him move down here. He hated it and had discipline and academic problems at school. By 10th-grade, his father had shipped him off to some boot camp and I lost track of him. But he and his friends all really like iPods and nice phones, even when they didn't have one of their own. Those that do have minis or nanos--because they can't really afford the bigger ones. Sometimes they are 2nd-hand. They flaunt them in the halls and treat them like gold, and would often rather get suspended from school than let them get confiscated by teachers or adminstrators. Probably none of these kids--maybe one or two--will have iPhones in the fall.

Of course, there's a group of kids in between. But it's getting smaller...

...America is a very strange place...
  • Reply 51 of 143
    eazywayeazyway Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aqua OS X View Post

In my humble opinion this survey forgot to look at parents, who are often the people who have to pay the bill. I wonder how many parents are willing to fund a $500+ phone PLUS a data plan.

I do a lot of supply work at schools in and around Toronto Canada and you would not believe the number of students who carry high end phones and they use them a lot. Many also carry iPods. Parents who work want their child to carry a phone to keep in contact with them. There is a huge middle class that would blink an eye in forking over $500 for their child.
  • Reply 52 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andykram View Post

I don't know how accurate this survey is to a large percentage of the population. I live in suburbia where most of the kids have a BMW or VW waiting for them when they hit 13, and are nearly guaranteed a newer model by the time they hit 16 (if not sooner). Everyone sports at least one iPod and very few have trouble affording the extremely expensive housing.

However, very few kids in my High School even WANT an iPhone, little less plan on purchasing one. It's the same reason very few kids in my HS want a PS3. Sure it's neat, but it's not quite worth it. Maybe pop culture will over emphasize Apple's new wonder gadget, and it will go from neat to "worth it", but as of right now it hasn't crossed that border. The thing that makes the difference, I believe, is that most of the kids in my HS have some form of common sense. Sure, maybe their parents can afford the device - but is it worth it?

Where in the US do you live that allows 13 year olds to drive? Few places allow 16 year olds to drive these days.
  • Reply 53 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

funny... considering your post on the other thread about the POSTER not makeing sarcasm clear enough

Yup! Goes to show you that some people don't know the old phrases. It wasn't a sarcastic remark, of course, just a play on words.

"Hook, line, and sinker", USED to be a well understood phrase of our colloquial part of the language over here, though I can't speak for where you are.
  • Reply 54 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

Don't kids save for college any more? I guess not. My parents took every cent I made or was given as a gift and put it towards college for me. The only time I ever got to spend any of that money was when I got my Pismo PowerBook G3 for college.

No, you are told specifically NOT to save for college. At least to not have any money in the students name. If you do, it comes right off the top of any financial aid you might be going after.
  • Reply 55 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, why don't you send Calhern (or however you spell his name) over here. He did so well for you.
  • Reply 56 of 143
    Quote:

Except that when the get to the college level they go into the best higher educational system in the world.
  • Reply 57 of 143
    Quote:

Those skills are not necessarily what will make one rich. I know this from personal experience.

You know rich people who cannot read, write, or add? I seriously doubt they will stay rich for long. How would you know your accountant, lawyer, or business partner isn't ripping you off?

I wasn't talking about being rich specifically I was talking about basic achievement in life. I don't see how that can happen if you don't have those basic skills.

Quote:

Except that when the get to the college level they go into the best higher educational system in the world.

As much I paid for college I hope so.
  • Reply 58 of 143
    Quote:

Few places allow 16 year olds to drive these days.

Its been shown a group of 16 year old males in a car are six times more likely to die in a car crash than a group of 30 year old males
  • Reply 59 of 143
    Quote:

Its been shown a group of 16 year old males in a car are six times more likely to die in a car crash than a group of 30 year old males

That extends to 18 year olds, though it's not quite as bad.

Imagine how that would apply to the 13 year olds he refers to, if they actually did have a car.

Though I'm assuming he wasn't serious.
  • Reply 60 of 143
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiko View Post

I'll be one of those 18 year olds to proudly own one on launch... An awesome present for graduation at the end of May. (My cell service with verizon is up with at the end of May anyway.. couldn't have been more convenient timing. My dad actually suggested the iPhone as a present. I couldn't say no ! )

Wow. I'm 60, and I wish I had a Dad like that.