Surprise ad for Apple TV begins airing on networks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Interesting how in that particular scene, there are two iMacs in the corner of the shot (of School of Rock). This commercial is a breath of fresh air (kind of), even if i have no use for the product.

Also, why is the Apple official time telling my computer that's it's PM? (haha i just realized it IS Pm. never mind.)
  • Reply 82 of 121
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm quite disappointed that AppleTV can't do Dolby Digital or DTS, that there's no HD content for purchase to play on it (yeah, yeah, I know that there will be), that the hard drive is a measly 40GB, and that the silly thing can't even play optical media of any kind.

Right now I'd use the AppleTV for two things -- which I can't justify buying it for: Viewing pictures in HD and listening to music on the living room stereo. Right now I can see pictures in HD on my computer monitor and I've got my iPod docked into the living room stereo. AppleTV is useless to me for watching movies because my Sony upscaling DVD player shows my DVDs beautifully.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm quite disappointed that AppleTV can't do Dolby Digital or DTS, that there's no HD content for purchase to play on it (yeah, yeah, I know that there will be), that the hard drive is a measly 40GB, and that the silly thing can't even play optical media of any kind.

Right now I'd use the AppleTV for two things -- which I can't justify buying it for: Viewing pictures in HD and listening to music on the living room stereo. Right now I can see pictures in HD on my computer monitor and I've got my iPod docked into the living room stereo. AppleTV is useless to me for watching movies because my Sony upscaling DVD player shows my DVDs beautifully.

Exactly, you have a great sony upscaling DVD player, why on earth would you want the ATV to have optical media in it? That makes no sense to me. The other things you mentioned are valid though.
  • Reply 84 of 121
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

First, the AppleTV CAN DO DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS. Granted, there isn't any content available as such (YET), but it is certainly capable and likely will be included in films from Apple someday.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...5B4C2B75A.html

Second, unless you are completely disinterested in Podcasts, you have overlooked one of the AppleTV's biggest selling points. I love playing Movies (especially DVD's Ripped to iTunes of my daughter's vast collection of soon to be lost/broken DVD's) and TV shows through my AppleTV. I like having a visual interface for music, and seeing the latest movie/tv/music 'trailers' on my big screen TV.

BUT, the biggest use for my AppleTV so far, and the one that should have every good Video Podcaster take notice, is the way it places DiggNation on equal footing with the latest NBC Dateline etc. I grab my remote and watch Diggnation, and countless other podcasts, just like a TV show; which is great since the death of TechTV.

Sure you can do that with an iPod and cables, but it's just not the same. Video Podcasting has just been elevated to a near-broadcast footing - Just watch what happens from here...
  • Reply 85 of 121
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Exactly, you have a great sony upscaling DVD player, why on earth would you want the ATV to have optical media in it? That makes no sense to me. The other things you mentioned are valid though.

It's amazing to me how many people just don't get it. If you're an audiophile or videophile (all half dozen or so of you) neither the iPod nor the ATV was designed with your "requirements" in mind. The "I won't buy this until..." crowd better be prepared to wait a LONG time. These products are not for you. They are for the vast majority of people who don't need or even want the features being demanded of these products. It's amazing how much was read into the Apple TV that Apple didn't claim or advertise. The crowd that said, "I won't buy an iPod until it supports Ogg Vorbis, supports lossless formats, comes with an FM tuner, et al" ARE STILL WAITING aren't they, five years later! Yet Apple just announced the 100 millionth iPod has been sold. The same with the Apple TV; five years from now the same crowd will STILL BE WAITING for their perfect device.
  • Reply 86 of 121
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Who needs preemptive multitasking? Who needs more than 2 hard drives in a Power Mac G5? Who needs 2 optical drives in a Power Mac G5? Intel is evil. Apple will never switch to Intel. Who wants to play music on their computer? Why would anyone want to watch movies on an iPod? 640K is enough for everybody.
  • Reply 87 of 121
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The "Export to AppleTV" option outputs to the AppleTV's max of 1280x720, while the iPod w/Video maxs out at 640x320, a quarter of the resolution.

This can only be addressed by releasing a new iPod with higher resolution video capabilities. While I foresee full screen video iPod with higher resolution playback, It certainly won't support 720p. For reference, the iPhone will be 480x320. Apple can easily allow their portable video players to play 720p, but the problem lies with down converting to the display's resolution. it's a major tax on the processor, RAM, and battery. Possibly to the point of being unwatchable. I think it's better that Apple limits this in the SW.

The only solution I can see is making the ipod with video like the ipod shuffle where it automatically downconverts for you when you add it to the player, that way wouldn't have to have to use up all the space on big files or own two copies.
  • Reply 88 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

The only solution I can see is making the ipod with video like the ipod shuffle where it automatically downconverts for you when you add it to the player, that way wouldn't have to have to use up all the space on big files or own two copies.

Well, yes, that's a good idea because I like it when the computer takes a half hour to "sync" an iPod because it's downconverting an episode to iPod.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's amazing to me how many people just don't get it. If you're an audiophile or videophile (all half dozen or so of you) neither the iPod nor the ATV was designed with your "requirements" in mind. The "I won't buy this until..." crowd better be prepared to wait a LONG time. These products are not for you. They are for the vast majority of people who don't need or even want the features being demanded of these products. It's amazing how much was read into the Apple TV that Apple didn't claim or advertise. The crowd that said, "I won't buy an iPod until it supports Ogg Vorbis, supports lossless formats, comes with an FM tuner, et al" ARE STILL WAITING aren't they, five years later! Yet Apple just announced the 100 millionth iPod has been sold. The same with the Apple TV; five years from now the same crowd will STILL BE WAITING for their perfect device.

The iPod does losssless and there's the optional FM tuner....so the only thing left is Ogg Vorbis...so most of the waiting is already over.

I won't buy it because I have better things to do then reencode all my DVD's for a device that can't make use of all their features. I won't buy it because the thing only adds yet another remote to the confusion of controlling a home theater (the remote that came with my receiver can pretty much control every component except the Tivo). I'd be tempted to buy it if it included a DVD player because it would be one less component I'd have to futz with. I wouldn't be tempted to buy it if it included a DVD player but only came with the Apple Remote. I'd be tempted to buy it if Apple would officially open it up and allow plug-ins for the device such as the RSS feed reader and other codecs. I won't ever be tempted to buy it if Apple continues trying to force iTunes crap video content as the only easily accessible video.

Nor do I consider myself an audiophile or videophile except as much to say that I like my audio and video to sound and look as possible on the budget I have. Neither of which Apple seems to want to provide with the AppleTV.
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

First, the AppleTV CAN DO DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS. Granted, there isn't any content available as such (YET), but it is certainly capable and likely will be included in films from Apple someday.

Are there any tools that will make Quicktime video carry a DD bitstream? Even if AppleTV can spit out the bitstream, there is no other infrastructure available that I've heard about. It's kind of like owning a computer without having access to electricity. I don't remember seeing a PCM option in encoding H.264, so DTS is out as well, though that's kind of a hack. While one can encode DTS data into WAV (or maybe AIFF), that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. In DVD, DTS is supposed to be marked by its own special track type so that a DTS-unaware player knows to not to try to play it as PCM and potentially cause problems.

Quote:

Sure you can do that with an iPod and cables, but it's just not the same. Video Podcasting has just been elevated to a near-broadcast footing - Just watch what happens from here...

It's clearly not the same, but with a standard Apple IR remote dock, you can control your iPod through an Apple remote. It will also work with pretty much any TV as well.
  • Reply 91 of 121
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Well, yes, that's a good idea because I like it when the computer takes a half hour to "sync" an iPod because it's downconverting an episode to iPod.

Hmmm. I didn't think that far.

Well in my opinion if the two file way is the way to go, the second file should be FREE. I'd be pissed if I bought an itunes movie but couldn't watch it on my ipod.

Like the commercial shows, it's supposed to free up your media to be used anywhere, not buy multiple versions.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...5B4C2B75A.html

Quote:

Are there any tools that will make Quicktime video carry a DD bitstream? Even if AppleTV can spit out the bitstream, there is no other infrastructure available that I've heard about. It's kind of like owning a computer without having access to electricity. I don't remember seeing a PCM option in encoding H.264, so DTS is out as well, though that's kind of a hack. While one can encode DTS data into WAV (or maybe AIFF), that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. In DVD, DTS is supposed to be marked by its own special track type so that a DTS-unaware player knows to not to try to play it as PCM and potentially cause problems.

According to the link quoted by Sport73, AppleTV does DTS, but not DD. jeffdm's point is, until you can rip a DVD to some format with 5.1 sound that the AppleTV will play back in 5.1, it's all academic. (If it is possible, without hacks, please correct me.)

http://www.thismuchiknow.co.uk/?p=34
  • Reply 93 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

According to the link quoted by Sport73, AppleTV does DTS, but not DD. jeffdm's point is, until you can rip a DVD to some format with 5.1 sound that the AppleTV will play back in 5.1, it's all academic. (If it is possible, without hacks, please correct me.)

I know DTS has been using CDs and PCM streams to transport its data, but for modern files, it's kind of a hack. It's kind of stupid too, given how DTS is 765 kbps or 1.5Mbps for just audio, it's just not realistic for downloaded files. Apple sells TV shows that are encoded at 1.5Mbps for the combined video and audio streams.

Right now, there is no option in Quicktime to encode PCM or DTS into a H.264 stream, which is why I said that there's little to no infrastructure for it, there's no content that's like that and no apparent way to make that content. As that Roughly Drafted site said, there is AAC 5.1, but I don't remember seeing any receivers that will decode that. AppleTV can't output decoded AAC 5.1 either.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Mac Pro... what processor?

I do the same thing, I handbrake a DVD while at work and then export to Apple TV overnight, or vice versa.

My Mac Pro's a 2.66 GHz. My estimate was rough and off the top of my head, it may have been more like 50 minutes (but I do it in the background so I don't really notice). My main issue is why the hell Quicktime seems to only use two of the cores to do it. I can have nothing else running and it maxes out at about 180% CPU usage. Yet, I can encode two movies at the same time and get the same performance on both of them (i.e., each one of them uses 180% CPU for a total of 360% usage). A lot of the time I feel like my second processor is just twiddling its thumbs. Apple really needs to improve the multithreading if they're going to sell 4 (and now 8) core computers.
  • Reply 95 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan.blanchard View Post

My Mac Pro's a 2.66 GHz. My estimate was rough and off the top of my head, it may have been more like 50 minutes (but I do it in the background so I don't really notice). My main issue is why the hell Quicktime seems to only use two of the cores to do it. I can have nothing else running and it maxes out at about 180% CPU usage. Yet, I can encode two movies at the same time and get the same performance on both of them (i.e., each one of them uses 180% CPU for a total of 360% usage). A lot of the time I feel like my second processor is just twiddling its thumbs. Apple really needs to improve the multithreading if they're going to sell 4 (and now 8) core computers.

How do you get two simultaneous quicktime encodes?
  • Reply 96 of 121
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

there's no content that's like that and no apparent way to make that content. As that Roughly Drafted site said, there is AAC 5.1, but I don't remember seeing any receivers that will decode that. AppleTV can't output decoded AAC 5.1 either.

Thanks Jeff, makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

awesome.

my puny macbook screen wasn't big enough to show it all though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here's the Apple TV ad in 1080p.

Cool thanks Ireland..! ...Yeah josa92, but at least when playback at 1280 wide on my MacBook, the "oversampled" video file means pretty much flawless quality when viewing on MacBook.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cool thanks Ireland..! ...Yeah josa92, but at least when playback at 1280 wide on my MacBook, the "oversampled" video file means pretty much flawless quality when viewing on MacBook.

Is there a way to save it so i can put it like, in my iPod or just try and see all of it? (i don't have Quicktime Pro).

Okay, i did it. (I've been answering a lot of my own questions lately...).

Anyway, the link in Ireland's post--right (secondary, excuse me) click on it and click "save linked file". then it downloads. that's pretty darn cool instead of buying a pro thing just to do that.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Is there a way to save it so i can put it like, in my iPod or just try and see all of it? (i don't have Quicktime Pro).

Import into iTunes. Then right click and Covnert Selection to iPod.
  • Reply 100 of 121
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Interesting how in that particular scene, there are two iMacs in the corner of the shot (of School of Rock). This commercial is a breath of fresh air (kind of), even if i have no use for the product.

Also, why is the Apple official time telling my computer that's it's PM? (haha i just realized it IS Pm. never mind.)

Personally, I have no idea why Apple simply cannot advertise the Mac correctly (in my opinion)... Most people coming into my workplace [reseller store] simply gloss over the Get a Mac ads (well the US versions need to be subtitled anyway, I think, for where I am at the moment). A young lady was looking at them intently though, the minority that are a bit more tech- and humour-savvy spend a bit more time looking at it and "getting it".

The iPod ads have always just been engaging, cool, and broad-appeal. The AppleTV, looks to be off to a good start. The ad was subtle-ly funny (Jack Black and kids), very understandable in terms of the tech, and stylish, simple, cool.

I would have liked to have the "it's on your iPod" to have showed the guy coming "into the house", emphasizing the indoor-outdoor-car-wherever "portability" aspect while still maintaining the popular "multi-room-panning" cinematography.