MGM flicks arrive on Apple's iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

I think being able to avoid 5 minutes trying to open all that packaging and security tape on each CD and DVD alone is worth using iTunes. But to each his own.

• Reply 62 of 82
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

DVDs have some advantages over iTMS movies, but iTMS movies also have an advantage over DVD movies. I've got a movie on my laptop that's also on my tower at home, and it's also on my iPod. I can watch this movie wherever I am. I didn't have to go through a too-lengthy process of ripping the thing, either.

Ripping DVDs is really not hard and will give you a higher-quality file in the process.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

And "All this stuff is so 2-3 years ago"?? That's pretty rich coming from somebody shopping in the $7 bargain bin for movies (Jackie Chan still looks pretty young in your collection, doesn't he?).

Before you get too condescending, here, by way of example, is a list of movies that I recently bought (from play.com and HMV) for a maximum of the equivalent of $8 before tax each. Some were cheaper, for example the interpreter which was $4.85. No, they're not the latest movies, but they also aren't the sort of movies you are alluding to, either.
    • Closer [2004]

• Crash [2004]

• Crimson Tide [1995]

• Enduring Love [2004]

• Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (1 Disc Edition) [2005]

• The Interpreter [2005]

• Shrek 2: Single Disc Edition

• Toy Soldiers

• V for Vendetta [2006]

• Wedding Crashers - Uncorked [2005]

• Shrek [2001]

• Grosse Pointe Blank [1997]

• A Life Less Ordinary [1997]

• Shallow Grave [1994]

• Mars Attacks [1997]

• Scream [1997]

• Silence Of The Lambs [1991]

• Ronin (Two Disc Special Edition) [1998]

• Training Day [2002]

• Payback [1999]

• Ransom [1997]

• Monty Python's Life Of Brian [1979]

• Romeo And Juliet [1996]

• Charlie's Angels [2000]

• The Untouchables [1987]

• Road Trip - Unseen And Explicit [2000]

• The Family Man [2000]

• Ghostbusters 2 [1989]

• From Dusk Till Dawn

• The Mask [1994]

• Three Kings [2000]

• Matchstick Men [2003]

• What Lies Beneath [2000]

• Day Of The Jackal [1973]

• Reply 63 of 82
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

They have copy protection, but not DRM. Beyond "you can't copy unless you decrypt", they don't define any rules, such as "you can only watch on x devices for y days".

That's really a nit since the 'decrypt' is required before you can play it on any non-official DVD player. Don't forget about Regions. Officially you can't play EU purchased DVD's on a 'US" computer. Yes, I know you have 5 times to set this, but once set its there, and yes I know there are numerous hacks for this as well, but its still DRM. So they are saying you can only play on x devices.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Before you get too condescending, here, by way of example, is a list of movies that I recently bought (from play.com and HMV) for a maximum of the equivalent of $8 before tax each. Some were cheaper, for example the interpreter which was $4.85. No, they're not the latest movies, but they also aren't the sort of movies you are alluding to, either.

Or you could have rented the latest movies for £1.50 from your local library*

* it's a big stone building with books in that's soooo 2-3 hundred years ago but they also do DVDs now.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

That's really a nit since the 'decrypt' is required before you can play it on any non-official DVD player. Don't forget about Regions. Officially you can't play EU purchased DVD's on a 'US" computer.

I didn't defend the flaws. I merely pointed out there's a difference between copy protection and DRM, and the term DRM wasn't even used around the time DVD-Videos became popular.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Right, because clearly someone who can afford to shell out $1300 for Final Cut Studio is going to be editing their parents' anniversary party footage. Or the $500 for Shake. Or the $300 for Aperture. Yep, that's what I'd be doing with $2100 worth of professional grade software.

What the hell is that software for as you so Shakespeareanly put it? Not for the average user to be editing video and pictures with. iPhoto and iMovie, yes, but not the others in your list.

The original question was, "What a complete farce. It just amazes me Apple have the gall to sell the AppleTV outside the USA."

What? AppleTV was only intended to play movies bought via iTunes. No!

For the average user, taking pictures with a digital camera or HD Videos is one thing. Developing iPhoto, iMovie HD and/or QuickTime was Apple's way of helping to get the images out of the camera, assist wannabe Luca's and show off to ones friends and family via the internet, CDs and DVDs.

For ad agencies, creative studios and production houses, there are the professional $ programs.

In either case, AppleTV just brings all the efforts to the living room or front reception. Now showing on bigger screens for more people to see with ease.

And for that, you don't only have to be residing in America.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I didn't defend the flaws. I merely pointed out there's a difference between copy protection and DRM, and the term DRM wasn't even used around the time DVD-Videos became popular.

While copy protection is a subset of DRM (or a component of a DRM design as the wiki definition below state), if it is the only component of a design then I would argue it is DRM for that instance. Additionally, the use of the Region restrictions certainly fits the definition of DRM "... to control access to or usage of digital data..." from below. All I was saying is that DVDs do have DRM, just not 'as sophisticated' as other current schemes.

Quote:

(From wikipedia) Digital Rights Management (DRM) is an umbrella term referring to technologies used by publishers or copyright owners to control access to or usage of digital data or hardware, and to restrictions associated with a specific instance of a digital work or device. The term is often confused with copy protection and technical protection measures, which refer to technologies that control or restrict the use and access of digital content on electronic devices with such technologies installed, acting as components of a DRM design.

Even the first sentence of the Introduction supports this.

Quote:

Digital rights management technologies attempt to control or prevent access to or copying of digital media, which can be copied with very little cost or effort.

Copy protection is just one form of DRM. All oranges are fruit but not all fruit are oranges.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The original question was, "What a complete farce. It just amazes me Apple have the gall to sell the AppleTV outside the USA."

What? AppleTV was only intended to play movies bought via iTunes. No!

You're stretching.

1) I never said ONLY

2) The number of people who do make their own movies is teeny tiny.

3) There's nowhere else in the UK to legally get movies.

It's also not how they're advertising it in the USA unless the advert was shot in Jack Black's house and that really is his home movie. It's ALL about movies and TV shows. Sure, you can play music too but you can do that with Airport Express much cheaper.

Apart from that I even stuck five smilies on the bottom of the post hoping those with Apple goggles on and short on humour would spot that I was being sarcastic.

Look at it from my POV (and Ireland's) - presently Apple are selling this in the UK (and Ireland) to the segment of the community that likes Pixar shorts, home movies of themselves or illegally downloaded/ripped movies that you've transcoded. Hot Stuff!
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

or illegally downloaded/ripped movies that you've transcoded. Hot Stuff!

Well, I hope everyone agrees that there is a difference between an illegal download and a rip of a disc that you personally own. No-one is going to come after you for ripping your own discs and then using the images for your personal use only. The U.K. government is currently looking at how to get "personal fair-use rights", including format-shifting, into U.K. copyright law, so hopefully in a couple of years we won't have to worry that ripping our own DVDs for our own use is "illegal".
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Well, I hope everyone agrees that there is a difference between an illegal download and a rip of a disc that you personally own. No-one is going to come after you for ripping your own discs and then using the images for your personal use only. The U.K. government is currently looking at how to get "personal fair-use rights", including format-shifting, into U.K. copyright law, so hopefully in a couple of years we won't have to worry that ripping our own DVDs for our own use is "illegal".

The point being that it's CURRENTLY illegal which leaves us with home movies and pixar shorts only. I'm not sure why Abster took such offence to my suggestion Apple were taking the piss shipping a media player with such a limited content offering available.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:

The point being that it's CURRENTLY illegal which leaves us with home movies and pixar shorts only. I'm not sure why Abster took such offence to my suggestion Apple were taking the piss shipping a media player with such a limited content offering available.

Well, I do agree with you that Apple is taking the piss with AppleTV, but mainly because V1 is rubbish, regardless of available content.

Don't forget that the AppleTV also does music and podcasts.

My point was that you aren't left with home movies and pixar shorts only as content. Yes, ripping your own DVDs is illegal, but who's going to come to your house and arrest you for it? Who's going to try and sue you for doing it? No one. The MPAA (or U.K. equivalent) has P2P sharing to worry about first.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

.... That's "World" as in "World Series" baseball yes - the game otherwise only played by girls outside the USA?

Yeah, I saw the smilies. Still, much of the world is interested in baseball--at least those places the US stationed troops for long periods of time back in the day...

I wikied this:

Quote:

By the 1990s, baseball was played at a highly skilled level in many countries, resulting in a strong international flavor to the Series, as many of the best players from the Pacific Rim, Latin America, the Caribbean, and elsewhere now play on Major League rosters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_series
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:

I think being able to avoid 5 minutes trying to open all that packaging and security tape on each CD and DVD alone is worth using iTunes. But to each his own.

As opposed to the 30+ minutes I have to wait before enough of even an iTunes Store TV show is available to be watchable to the end. That's partially a factor of my internet connection, but it's the fastest internet connection I have available.

If it takes you 5 minutes to open a CD or DVD, perhaps someone should introduce you to the modern tool called a "knife." I heard they made some great advances in the technology since the caveman first invented it...
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

As opposed to the 30+ minutes I have to wait before enough of even an iTunes Store TV show is available to be watchable to the end. That's partially a factor of my internet connection, but it's the fastest internet connection I have available.

If it takes you 5 minutes to open a CD or DVD, perhaps someone should introduce you to the modern tool called a "knife." I heard they made some great advances in the technology since the caveman first invented it...

One, you're ignoring the fact that you also have to drive to Walmart. Two, move somewhere not so shitty. Songs download for me in seconds and I get instant on everything right away. We just have Comcast.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I guess if you are the type of person that needs to watch movies immediately after making a decision on what to watch and prefer spending $300 for each TV in the house, then Appletv is definitely for you. As versus a person that can decide ahead of time what they would like to watch and have a DVD player connect to their TV already.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I guess if you are the type of person that needs to watch movies immediately after making a decision on what to watch and prefer spending $300 for each TV in the house, then Appletv is definitely for you. As versus a person that can decide ahead of time what they would like to watch and have a DVD player connect to their TV already.

You're making up entirely nonsense arguments. No one is going to buy more than one AppleTV. If you have more than one TV, you'll hook it up to the one you use most. No one buys a PS3 for each room, or an HD-DVD drive for each room, or an AppleTV for each room. It's stupid.

Additionally, you can get all kinds of things on Apple TV that you can't get on a DVD player. Good luck getting TV shows the day after they air on your DVD player. Or any video podcasts.

And what's with this "person who can decide ahead" nonsense? Oh, so you're somehow morally superior because you plan out your mindless entertainment longer before you watch it than I do?

AppleTV is perfect for me. I watch three TV shows, and I don't often have time to catch them as they air, so the savings from not having cable have already paid for it.

It's not perfect for you. That's great. That doesn't give you license to offer the worst arguments ever. What did you honestly think was going to happen? That someone would say, hey, those nonsense arguments almost made sense! Let me get rid of this device that meets my needs perfectly, as pt123 CLEARLY knows what's what.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Actually 2nd worst argument ever, can't beat the 5 minutes it takes to open up the package.

And I do have a DVD player in each room. No HD-DVD but then again itunes doesn't have HD movies.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Actually 2nd worst argument ever, can't beat the 5 minutes it takes to open up the package.

Um, are you saying that you like opening those? Everyone hates those.

No one NEEDS to buy multiple Apple TVs to use it, which you contend. Also, no one is better off for waiting to watch things.

I'm sorry, but no, my argument was pretty solid.

Quote:

And I do have a DVD player in each room. No HD-DVD but then again itunes doesn't have HD movies.

But DVD players cost $40. Next-gen optical drives, Apple TV, and game consoles cost more than that.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Um, are you saying that you like opening those? Everyone hates those.

No one NEEDS to buy multiple Apple TVs to use it, which you contend. Also, no one is better off for waiting to watch things.

I'm sorry, but no, my argument was pretty solid.

But DVD players cost $40. Next-gen optical drives, Apple TV, and game consoles cost more than that.

Actually, I have a 1 Gigawatt ruby laser to open all that packaging and security tape on each CD and DVD . The laser also cuts thru the Kevlar-like plastic packaging on items like USB cables, "C" batteries and the like. I have been able to cut the time down to about a minute for the DVDs and 3 minutes for the Kevlar packages.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Actually, I have a 1 Gigawatt ruby laser to open all that packaging and security tape on each CD and DVD . The laser also cuts thru the Kevlar-like plastic packaging on items like USB cables, "C" batteries and the like. I have been able to cut the time down to about a minute for the DVDs and 3 minutes for the Kevlar packages.

Oh, man, those are the worst I always walk away with cuts from those.

But are you sure your laser doesn't cut through the product itself?