Will Leopards delay cause hardware delays too?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After reading Appleinsiders article on how the new iMacs will be completely redesigned I was excited to get a new iMac and Leopard by June/July. Now that Leopard has been delayed until October I wonder if Apple will also delay new Mac releases also. What do you think, will Leopards delay effect hardware release dates as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i was kinda hoping it might bring that release FORWARD... but i suppose they might be so expecting to cash in on the iphone that they aren't worrying about computers anymore....
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    incremental increases but nothing radical till leopard
  • Reply 3 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My guess is it will have no bearing on hardware releases one way or the other.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    i mentioned this earlier.

apple could have been waiting to release redesigned imacs in june along with leopard, but now that leopard has been put back to october, apple no longer have reason to hold back the hardware.

However it could work the other way, apple may decide to keep the same form factor and give it a minimal speed bump, in order to see it through till october to release new form factors along with leopard
  • Reply 5 of 24
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    To be honest, I don't know. We could see Santa Rosa Macs in may or june, or they could put everything off until October. With Apple you never know. Without a promise of a free upgrade to leopard, they're going to have a hard time selling them.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

To be honest, I don't know. We could see Santa Rosa Macs in may or june, or they could put everything off until October. With Apple you never know. Without a promise of a free upgrade to leopard, they're going to have a hard time selling them.

I wouldn't have a problem buy a Santa Rosa Macbook with Tiger.

Hardware doesn't change easily. The most important part of your computing environment is the hardware regarding longevity.

SR supporting Robson, faster FSB, and faster CPU and graphics is more important to me than saving $129 on an OS. If I was to wait 4 more months just to get Leopard how much productivity have I lost? That's $32 a month that I've saved. Is that really worth waiting?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

That would be over a year without an upgrade in the majoriaty of their computer line, and that would not be good. There is no reason to hold back upgraded hardware. The Mini can easily move to the Core 2 Duo anytime now, I doubt that it will go Santa Rosa right away due to potential constraints in the parts. They will give us the iMac and Mac Book Pro's on the platform first and the Mac Books will follow a month or two behind as soon as they have enough parts to ensure that they can meet the demand for all 3 lines. The Mini probably won't see it till next year UNLESS they are able to cut parts cost by movinig to it and therefore increasing the profit margin on the Mini.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    My feeling is that because they are depriving their die-harders of the new OS, that they will give us the other thing we like so much... the hardware in advance of the OS. It only makes sense because not only does the hardware appeal to us die-harders but it also appeals to the switchers. What if macs come out in July that have Robson tech inside? You bet your ass I don't care if the 10.5 upgrade costs me $400(I know I'm being dramatic) I'll buy that MBP in July. I'm not updating my latest rev PowerBook till either A. the look changes or B. some incredible hardware advancement (Santa Rosa/Robson).
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Man, this truly is really bad news. I'm a graduating highschool student and I was really looking forward to getting some sort of sweet new Apple machine for college (still haven't decided on which one, probably a laptop) and don't get me wrong, I'm sure the machines as of now are still freakin sweet......it'd just be nice to have a top of the line new computer WHILE I still have some money in my pocket. Cause when college comes around......I certainly won't be buying a computer for a LONG time......and DEFINITELY won't have any money in my pocket. I was looking forward to having Leopard pre-installed though....cause I doubt I will have money for that now too when it comes out.

and October is after school starts.....I certainly hope that the OS is the only thing that is delayed that late.

Because I'd be pretty frustrated to have them redesign there stuff JUST after the "back to school" season passes.

I'm sure they must have known an announcement like that would piss off ALOT of people. So.....hopefully they will do some REALLY sweet redesigns and hardware upgrades before then to smack people in the face with?? I certainly hope so.

Here's to hoping they still have some sweet things in store for those of us that are buying a computer somewhere between May and July before school. Please....
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coreyweb View Post

Man, this truly is really bad news. I'm a graduating highschool student and I was really looking forward to getting some sort of sweet new Apple machine for college (still haven't decided on which one, probably a laptop) and don't get me wrong, I'm sure the machines as of now are still freakin sweet......it'd just be nice to have a top of the line new computer WHILE I still have some money in my pocket. Cause when college comes around......I certainly won't be buying a computer for a LONG time......and DEFINITELY won't have any money in my pocket. I was looking forward to having Leopard pre-installed though....cause I doubt I will have money for that now too when it comes out.

and October is after school starts.....I certainly hope that the OS is the only thing that is delayed that late.

Because I'd be pretty frustrated to have them redesign there stuff JUST after the "back to school" season passes.

I'm sure they must have known an announcement like that would piss off ALOT of people. So.....hopefully they will do some REALLY sweet redesigns and hardware upgrades before then to smack people in the face with?? I certainly hope so.

Here's to hoping they still have some sweet things in store for those of us that are buying a computer somewhere between May and July before school. Please....

For College odds are you need a laptop. A desktop isn't going to help you chilling out in your Dorm while you're in class. Once the new Centrino Pro hardware hits in May/June you can hop in and get your computer if you want a laptop. Remember you're a student so you may save a bit of money on OS X Leopard from the EDU portiion of the Apple Store.

Your primary objective should be getting solid hardware that will carry you through.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

For College odds are you need a laptop. A desktop isn't going to help you chilling out in your Dorm while you're in class. Once the new Centrino Pro hardware hits in May/June you can hop in and get your computer if you want a laptop. Remember you're a student so you may save a bit of money on OS X Leopard from the EDU portiion of the Apple Store.

Your primary objective should be getting solid hardware that will carry you through.

Ya.....thats mainly what I'm worried about. I'm hoping that they won't hold back hardware or redesigns or any kind of upgrades other than software until Leopard....cause that would just suck, and be pretty darn frustrating.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

incremental increases but nothing radical till leopard

I have to agree with this assessment for numerous reasons.

I suspected new hardware designs right before the Mac switched to intel.

At that time it seemed that Apple decided to keep the old designs to make users feel more comfortable with the transition to intel, but that is way old news now.

I think the Mac Pro update being as limited as it is, is a sign that the next update is going to be a humdinger.

I'm expecting not only big hardware improvements, but new Mac designs across the board. What I think sucks is that Apple is really going to loose sales on products because of things like a drop in processor update and no real feature improvements, but as a consumer what else can you do other that what you feel is your best option. I don't like to waste money. I'm going to go with the next generation Mac Pro. It's too bad because I have the money for a whopping system now.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    you never know... if all this stuff about multi-touch is true there's no reason why they couldn't release new form factor machines with hidden features activated by leopard!!

(of course this would presuppose a free leopard upgrade IMO)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

For College odds are you need a laptop.

Indeed. I'm wondering what the chances are for an update to the MacBook Pro come the end of this month or mid-May. I have an option of ordering a new MBP at the end of May or holding out until early August. If there are no hardware updates until late August and onwards, then there's nothing to lose should I purchase the MBP sooner.

Think Apple will update the MBP line soon? According to MacRumors' Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro), the product is reaching the end of its cycle. What concerns me is the lack of any new hardware to implement in the current iteration of the MBP. Besides the old news about LED-backlit displays and the advent of Intel's Santa Rosa platform, there seems to be little that Apple can toss in outside of a new case design or a more capable discrete graphics solution. I have my doubts about a jump to Santa Rosa seeing that the MBP is already 802.11n-capable and has no need for X3000.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    coreyweb

Well you can take some consolation in the fact that the education price for Leopard will probably only be $69 as it is now for Tiger, a savings of $60.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Wow....$69?? I didn't know that. That isn't bad at all. Thats good news.....thanks for that info!

Now I just wonder if there will be any cool new things in Apple's laptops by July. It sure would be pleasant.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yetieater View Post

Indeed. I'm wondering what the chances are for an update to the MacBook Pro come the end of this month or mid-May. I have an option of ordering a new MBP at the end of May or holding out until early August. If there are no hardware updates until late August and onwards, then there's nothing to lose should I purchase the MBP sooner.

Think Apple will update the MBP line soon? According to MacRumors' Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro), the product is reaching the end of its cycle. What concerns me is the lack of any new hardware to implement in the current iteration of the MBP. Besides the old news about LED-backlit displays and the advent of Intel's Santa Rosa platform, there seems to be little that Apple can toss in outside of a new case design or a more capable discrete graphics solution. I have my doubts about a jump to Santa Rosa seeing that the MBP is already 802.11n-capable and has no need for X3000.

Thoughts?

I think you'll find that if Intel is ready to launch Centrino Pro in May everyone including Apple will be jumping into the fray with new products. Apple may seem ambivalent towards their desktop line (quiet launches) but laptops are a priority and I expect them to be ready with options. I wouldn't stress the lack of Leopard. Buddy up with a student if you want it cheap

Robson could be unique technology that makes a difference. It could be spendy though so optional. We'll have to see. The 802.11n stuff doesn't matter that much as we have that now. Only Macbook owners will rejoice X3000 graphics. I do think a 800mh fsb though will make them demonstrably faster and I believe that Apple's screens will be in fact LED based and gorgeous. That's my guess.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I really hope not, because if Apple doesn't, they will lose a lot more profit from those people who are waiting for Leopard. I hope they realize that if they release redesigns of the models, they'll gain profits to hold them over until Leopard comes. Of course, large companies don't usually do what I think they should...\
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

I think you'll find that if Intel is ready to launch Centrino Pro in May everyone including Apple will be jumping into the fray with new products. Apple may seem ambivalent towards their desktop line (quiet launches) but laptops are a priority and I expect them to be ready with options. I wouldn't stress the lack of Leopard. Buddy up with a student if you want it cheap

Apple was a little slow to adopt Merom in the MacBook and MacBook Pro, lagging behind the bulk of computer manufacturers. Hopefully Apple won't hold back on switching to the Santa Rosa platform for its laptops.

As for buying on the cheap, I'm going to pass on Apple's Educational Discount. Because the Apple Store has a physical presence in all 50 states, we must pay sales tax when ordering online. MacMall.com and Amazon.com both have rebates on purchases of Macs, and both online retailers charge no sales tax. Quick math shows that the MBP model I'm eyeing is some $200 cheaper when ordered from MacMall or Amazon as opposed to ordering from the Apple Online Store, even after Educational Discount savings.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    What is the chance of

Leopard free upgrade Coupons starting WWDC? (4 months till oct)

It will be cool, Leopard Free coupons starts with WWDC and annoucement of Oct release date.

How long m$ given vista free upgrade path? 3 to 6 months?