Top secret features suspect in Apple's Leopard delay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There has been suspicion that the "secret features" are hardware-related and any revelation of them will cause a product disclosure that Apple is holding very closely.

Could this be it?

I'm not a developer so someone else will have to it explore this, but could a hardware problem be behind the "bugginess" and "crashing" problems that have been widely cited?

Still, Occam's Razor suggests that it is as simple as Apple says it is. A resources problem.

And while I have no desire for an iPhone, I understand that Apple stands to make much more money from an iPhone or an iPod than they will from an OS.

Sad but true.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    dp123dp123 Posts: 17member
    I think Shaw Wu is a little too prone to go easy on Apple, but the theory seems credible.

Yes, I do fear that Jobs would say "Top Secret" features that would amount to little additional value, bullet-point features that were not significant. Moreover, I would say that Jobs presentation didn't put a major emphasis on this, but the press, the fans, the reaction did put extreme pressure for them to be substantial.

However, I have been wondering about this for months: if zero details have leaked in beta builds, what is Apple doing if they are significant?

It made sense that they had a separate branch of builds and they were relying solely on internal testing/bug fixing. Not only does this add additional strain on Apple since they are the sole "fixers" of these features, but it adds strain on reconciling the builds and potential bugs that arise when merging the feature sets.

And since builds have remained buggy or have even gained bugs, I started to believe this theory. With the 3 month delay, I believe it more so. So now, my hopes are renewed that what was billed as "top secret" could truly be significant. And it gives WWDC an opportunity to be about these additional features. (And I don't think any of these features would involve singificant UI changes -- those, beyond abilities to use CoreAnimation and related technology-based UIs within the existing UI, are best tested in the beta/developer community. Or straightforward cosmetic changes, as in the latest build of the Finder, I wouldn't rate as significant new UI updates.)

Having formed this theory and believed it, I was wondering whether or not it was a mistake: not letting the community know, not letting developers in on the features, adding strain to developing some features entirely internally... for the gain of maintaining a secret and having a surprise? And this I think has bared out... It is this philosophy that I am concerned about: not iPhone or Leopard development in general.

"Isn't it odd that only a few short weeks ago Apple publicly stated that 10.5 would be released on time? It doesn't add up that the iPhone would, all of a sudden, cause that timetable to change by four months when the iPhone is only two months away."

I don't think so. I think it's perfectly legitimate to believe this has been a major concern and is probably the biggest issue at the top of the company. I'd wager they have been having routine meetings asking can we make this schedule, can we make this schedule? And the devs are probably saying: it'll be tight and a little buggy, but yeah, yeah... And I'd wager that they have a release schedule around hitting WWDC for Leopard, iPhone after it, and they have been scheduling hardware around this schedule.

And it finally got to a point where it was evident that a frenzied dev cycle, buggy products wasn't worth hitting their intended schedule. Changing the schedule by a few weeks or a month would just add further risk of another delay and would push the whole schedule back. October can simply be a buffer to allow a safe amount of time, free of other delays. And also it may incorporate other product releases around it, changing the schedule entirely (i.e. instead of delaying hardware for Leopard, they can now update hardware ahead of Leopard's release.)

Conversely to your theory, which I haven't heard, finally deciding to delay frees them from Wall Street pressures and more importantly frees up their scheduling of hardware to coincide with these software/major releases. Now they are free to release new iMacs and notebooks anytime they want between now and October. I'd wager they have new hardware ready that they were stalling simply because Leopard seemed eminent. Now they are actual free to have a less constrained hardware release schedule.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    BTW, here is a pic courtesy of LoopRumors that purports to show the Leopard UI.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Apple's stock barely took a hit. It's above $90 with barely an hour before closing. No more than some other extreme day of trading.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 25 of 77
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

as long as they are working to work issues out i dont have a problem, as long as leopard does not come out like vista i dont have a problem, vista should really be pull out of the shelves really i still can't believe that a company like msft can never get things right, i also dont like when apple rush stuff out like the new airport extreme, its like every week there trying to fix something diffenrent on it and on the one embeded in the machines, but at least there doing something and is getting better everytime

Well said! I think I saw a couple of commas in there somewhere.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    1. New interface. (if they don't they look old compared to Vista)

2. Theme Engine, Customizable desktop environments (Linux and Vista have them)

3. 3D Desktops. (Linux has it, not great but it works)

4. Virtualization, Think Parallel or VMware. (Boot Camp doesn't cut it)

5. iLife gets added to OS. (This one ups Vista)

6. Media Extender. (Connect AppleTV to OS) (Vista has it with Xbox)

These things take time and will blow Vista out of the water!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Yea the fact that the stock has taken much of a hit is very impressive.

However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone.

In reality (and MHO) the iPhone probably would have benefited more from the added development time (ie 3G capabilities, removable memory, removable battery, built on Panther, Cingulairs full switch back to AT&T wireless). Any additions to Panther that still needed to be worked on could have easily been added via updates.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

BTW, here is a pic courtesy of LoopRumors that purports to show the Leopard UI.

Enjoy.

Looks amazingly similar to the finder in 10.4.8......

Edit. It does have a browse button next to the action button and the edges are square while mine have subtle rounded effect. Otherwise I don't see an earth shattering difference. Hopefully it will perform better, that's all that really matters, and make Groverat happy.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There was comment at Macworld that based on what was shown by Jobs on 10.5 it didn't look like a big upgrade over 10.4. The "more to come" statement might have been there to reassure the faithful that it's going to be better and not as disappointing as it might have been perceived to be.

Exactly my point. Jobs shows off Leopard, doesn't get the "You're the best ever!" feeling from the crowd, so he makes up the "secret features" to get people hoping that there's more to this OS update then a backup application and some updates to existing apps.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DirtySpy View Post

1. New interface. (if they don't they look old compared to Vista)

2. Theme Engine, Customizable desktop environments (Linux and Vista have them)

3. 3D Desktops. (Linux has it, not great but it works)

4. Virtualization, Think Parallel or VMware. (Boot Camp doesn't cut it)

5. iLife gets added to OS. (This one ups Vista)

6. Media Extender. (Connect AppleTV to OS) (Vista has it with Xbox)

These things take time and will blow Vista out of the water!

Sorry, but a new UI is not necessarily a "feature". Plus, items 1 and 2 lay the groundwork for some severe compatibility problems with various third-party software that will require them to spend time actually using the new super-secret features (hey, that was one of the reasons I always thought June was pushing it...) Also, a new UI only leads to more inconsistencies and bugs in an OS that's already got enough that apple hasn't fixed.

Number 3 is just a redefine of number 1, so I don't think it counts as a bullet. Plus, I don't think people will look at a 3D desktop and say "Thank god apple delayed leopard for this!".

Virtualization may be nice for some, but is Jobs really going to come out and basically admit that people NEED windows in life, OS X is just secondary, so we're giving you this ability built-in. Plus, there's a huge problem with the idea. Who's paying $2000 for a new laptop, then forking over another $200 for a copy of Windows? Might as well get a $1500 Wintel laptop.

iLife re-integration will NOT occur. Its too much of a cash cow for Apple. Plus, what of all those people out there who don't want to pay the iLife tax on OS X because they don't use most of it (iPhoto has probably the biggest usage amongst it all, and after that, I would think it falls way down to single-digit percent of users). Plus, I certainly wouldn't call that worthy of the hype, since everyone knows about iLife.

And doesn't OS X already connect to Apple TV? And why would we want this?

Sorry, but nothing you mentioned seems like a "Vista" killer (more then vista is a vista killer).
  • Reply 31 of 77
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    When people say "there's not much to Leopard" without providing a proper context you automatically know you're dealing with an idiot.

Leopard is a huge update. It's just Apple hasn't divulged much on their main apple.com/macosx page other than some superficial stuff. In fact that page is do dumbed down peope actually think Core Animation is some "Cover Flow" on steroids.

That's exactly what Apple wants. They want to keep the rank and file consumer in a fog. They'll show the basics of a feature and only the people who are willing to dig a bit will truly undersand the ramifications of that feature.

If Apple says "feature XXX allows on the fly scaling of UI elements" the consumer won't understand. However show a consumer Expose in action and they freaking understand the benefit.

The Top Secret features could be delaying Leopard but in reality I htink it's a confluence of factors that have contributed to the delay. Leopard is a HUGE update that needs to work correctly upon launch.

You can point to almost any pain point in Tiger and Leopard has a fix.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

Yea the fact that the stock has taken much of a hit is very impressive.

However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone.

In reality (and MHO) the iPhone probably would have benefited more from the added development time (ie 3G capabilities, removable memory, removable battery, built on Panther, Cingulairs full switch back to AT&T wireless). Any additions to Panther that still needed to be worked on could have easily been added via updates.

Not really. Its very clear that a delay in 10.5 will have minimal effect on the bottom line, which is hardware driven. People will still buy the hardware they need AND Apple has CS3 coming out to boost near-term demand. This approach is also boosted by the lack-luster reception and content of Vista. They have more time here than in the iPhone market.

OTH a iPhone delay will have a very serious effect on the bottom line as that's a delay in hardware sales, Apple's business, along with credibility of getting into a new market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Exactly my point. Jobs shows off Leopard, doesn't get the "You're the best ever!" feeling from the crowd, so he makes up the "secret features" to get people hoping that there's more to this OS update then a backup application and some updates to existing apps.

All I can say is glad you're not running my company. That kind of thinking gets you killed and almost never adds value. Don't forget that the bulk of the improvements revealed in Leopard to date are for the future, the 'Core' frameworks, and Apple knows that well. They could easily have positioned it that way and done quite well with pushing for new applications using those frameworks..
  • Reply 33 of 77
    About secret features being so great. Go back and look at the disappointment after the iPod release. The chatter was all about how Steve had let us down after proclaiming the promise to release a life changing product. The faithful responded by accusing Jobs of having bullshited us and that yawn all they did was release a me too mp3 player.

Well it did take a little while to reach 100,000,000 in sales and now we hear projections of it besting the walkman by having the potential to reach 500,000,000 units sold. Considering this I won't be at all surprised to to hear a large collective yawn when we hear what is supposedly so special.

5 years from now we can look back and judge wether Jobs the statements where founded. But we all know that Leopard won't be able to teleport us and so many geeks are bound to say what a disapointment. I'm counting on yawning all the way to the bank as Apple disappoints us again by changing the landscape while we can't even see it for it's subtly.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    dp123dp123 Posts: 17member
    "However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone."

I disagree. The "features" would have been always planned and should have been a part of their development schedule. Using it as an excuse would have been the equivalent of: we couldn't get it done in time and/or it was a bad idea to try to keep these things quiet and separate from current dev builds.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:

…Unlike Wu, who recently told clients that some prospective Mac buyers had already begun withholding their new computer purchases in anticipation of Leopard, Munster said he has observed "little-to-no delay" in that regard…

When bullshit collides…
  • Reply 36 of 77
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: For the first time in my life I'm really starting to hate Apple fans. Every year the hysteria seems to grow. The outcries over AppleTV's delay, the switch to Intel chips, the removal of "computer" from the name, etc.

But why all this irrational behavior? This isn't the first time Apple focused on another product short-term in order to help increase Mac sales long-term: original iPod. Or bit off more than it could chew with its OS to meet some self-imposed deadline: Lisa, OS 10.0.

Don't worry about it. It's just the effect of the internet amplifying things. Anonymous fanboys (I count myself as one ) flaming each other on the internet has little relation to what happens in the real world. In the real world nobody cares. Apple stock is still riding high, and most analysts are just going "meh".

For every insane person who swears they are never going to buy another Apple product because of this, or refuse to buy a new Mac until 10.5 is released (yeah, because $129 is a real deal breaker ) there are countless Mac customers who either don't know or don't care about the delay.

Ultimately, next year most people will have forgotten that there even was a delay, much in the same way that the 10.0 was delayed by about a year.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Top Secret features could be delaying Leopard but in reality I think it's a confluence of factors that have contributed to the delay. Leopard is a HUGE update that needs to work correctly upon launch.

The SEC investigation of Steve Jobs pushed him to mention the "secret features" of Leopard (which he didn't show because they didn't exist then or were so preliminary that they didn't make it into the alpha code of Leopard) and show a prototype of the iPhone a full 6 months before launch, contrary to Apple policy of not discussing unannounced products.

The purpose of Steve Jobs premature disclosures at MWSF was to change headlines from the SEC criminal investigation into the backdating of Apple stock options (at the request of Steve Jobs to favor his pet Vice Presidents) to a more favorable, speculative buzz about the iPhone and the "secret features" of Leopard.

Leopard's delay shows that Apple is unable to deliver on all the hype generated by Steve Jobs to take attention away from the ongoing SEC criminal investigation.

And yes, the delay of Leopard will have a negative impact on the sale of new Macs.

• Reply 38 of 77
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

Why would Apple moving to Intel be a joke? IBM wasn't moving fast enough and the notebook line (the fastest growing segment of personal computers) was dragging far behind. I predicted the jump a year before it was announced Though I assumed AMD would be chosen ? glad I was wrong on that end.

AMD was kicking Intel's butt around at the time Apple made its decision to go Intel. Why are you glad they didn't choose AMD? AMD processors are still very competitive with Intel's offerings.

Quote:

How exactly do you equate Apple moving to Intel a sign that Apple will release OS X to run on any x86 hardware? There is absolutely no correlation! Apple makes it's money from selling hardware. Its loyal fan base is mainly derived from the simplicity and integration that can only come from tight integration of the OS with the hardware.

There's no correlation??? OSX now runs on Intel chips which 70% of the worlds PCs use. Hmm.

Apple purposely, through hardware and software, disallows users from installing the Intel version of OSX on non-Apple hardware. Yet hackers have bypassed those locks.

Yes, Apple makes most of their money on hardware. The iPod brought in the majority of Apple net profit last quarter. The AppleTV and iPhone will help to dwarf their reliance on Mac hardware sales. Now they can spread the love to non-Apple hardware and start to switch to a higher margin software sales.

It is Bootcamp in reverse. Dual boot your Dell, HP, or Gateway with the MacOS and Windows for $129.00 a pop.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The SEC investigation of Steve Jobs pushed him to mention the "secret features" of Leopard (which he didn't show because they didn't exist then or were so preliminary that they didn't make it into the alpha code of Leopard) and show a prototype of the iPhone a full 6 months before launch, contrary to Apple policy of not discussing unannounced products.

The purpose of Steve Jobs premature disclosures at MWSF was to change headlines from the SEC criminal investigation into the backdating of Apple stock options (at the request of Steve Jobs to favor his pet Vice Presidents) to a more favorable, speculative buzz about the iPhone and the "secret features" of Leopard.

Leopard's delay shows that Apple is unable to deliver on all the hype generated by Steve Jobs to take attention away from the ongoing SEC criminal investigation.

And yes, the delay of Leopard will have a negative impact on the sale of new Macs.

There's a stretch. Welcome to the conspiracy theorist's club.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Funny, donebylee.

Daffy Gates and Elmer Ballmer chasing Jobs Bunny.

"Nyaaah, there is one more thing, Doc."

(unable to spell carrot munching sounds)