No Mac Pro Updates at NAB... What now?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Unless I missed it nobody has responded to one of my questions yet - if I buy a Mac Pro now what chance is there that I will be able to update the video card when a new one comes out? Someone said it's the drivers and not the slots but does that mean the Mac Pro I will be buying will work or not? Thanks.

You will have to wait until Apple sells the card as a stand alone upgrade, they have done it in the past. If it's an ATI card you want, you'll probably be waiting for ATI to do the same. So once you can get your hands on a new EFI card it will work.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Unless I missed it nobody has responded to one of my questions yet - if I buy a Mac Pro now what chance is there that I will be able to update the video card when a new one comes out? Someone said it's the drivers and not the slots but does that mean the Mac Pro I will be buying will work or not? Thanks.

Nobody can give you a %100 answer until new cards come out. We can give you a best guess. If Apple intros a new card, likely it should work in previous Mac Pros and likely Apple will make it available as an upgrade kit. But who knows. I've known Apple to not make a OEM video card available as an upgrade.

ATI may also intro a new card for the Mac, but if it's not a PC/Mac card like the latest Radeon 9600 it may be months after the PC card comes out that we'll see a Mac card.

It's highly unlikely that anyone besides Apple or ATI will introduce a Mac card.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Nobody can give you a %100 answer until new cards come out. We can give you a best guess. If Apple intros a new card, likely it should work in previous Mac Pros and likely Apple will make it available as an upgrade kit. But who knows. I've known Apple to not make a OEM video card available as an upgrade.

ATI may also intro a new card for the Mac, but if it's not a PC/Mac card like the latest Radeon 9600 it may be months after the PC card comes out that we'll see a Mac card.

It's highly unlikely that anyone besides Apple or ATI will introduce a Mac card.

I'd say it's pretty much given.

Also , Ati can shove their MAC only cards they sell where sun never shines. They underclock them , are about year behind the PC world and alot more expensive. Ati 9800 anyone ? What a rip off that was.

Releasing new GPU's for Mac Pro isnt such a big deal as people make it out to be. ATI and Nvidia provide source code to Apple so they dont really have to write their own code from the scratch.

Once r600 is released in PC world and we dont have it within couple of months , i'm gonna be pretty darn mad. Appleinsider reported Apple had ATI build r600 version for them , so i hope that rumor turns out to be true.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

What draws folders' contents? I'm guessing that may not be GPU-accelerated in OS X yet.

I now have the new eight-core Mac Pro with 9GB of RAM and the ATI1900. The Applications folder on this new machine now has about 175 items in it. What I'd like is to see the folder completely drawn by the time my finger loses contact with the mouse button, but it still takes two or three seconds (maybe slightly longer) for that window to finish drawing.

I remember the difference in window-drawing speed between the Performa 6400 and the Power Mac 6500. The 6500 got its own graphics card instead of using one of the integrated gizmos and it drew windows much more quickly than its predecessor. Actually, I think that 6500 could draw its Applications folder window more quickly than this new eight-core 3GHz Mac Pro. Of course, that was back in the days of Mac OS 8 and Speed Doubler. How many of y'all remember those days?

Call me crazy.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 25 of 31
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

...snip...

Of course, that was back in the days of Mac OS 8 and Speed Doubler. How many of y'all remember those days?

Call me crazy.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Crazy,

I remember Speed Doubler. My Apple history goes back to an Apple lle and I believe it was System 6.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

Also , Ati can shove their MAC only cards they sell where sun never shines. They underclock them , are about year behind the PC world and alot more expensive. Ati 9800 anyone ? What a rip off that was.

Releasing new GPU's for Mac Pro isnt such a big deal as people make it out to be. ATI and Nvidia provide source code to Apple so they dont really have to write their own code from the scratch.

Once r600 is released in PC world and we dont have it within couple of months , i'm gonna be pretty darn mad. Appleinsider reported Apple had ATI build r600 version for them , so i hope that rumor turns out to be true.

Given that the Mac graphics card is practically an irrelevant fraction of the video card market, I can understand the delays. I've said before that I'm surprised that they bother.

The underclocking bit on that one card might have been what was needed to make it fanless.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Given that the Mac graphics card is practically an irrelevant fraction of the video card market, I can understand the delays. I've said before that I'm surprised that they bother.

The underclocking bit on that one card might have been what was needed to make it fanless.

Now we wait for something new.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I have been holding off getting a new machine since the last g5 before the intel merger. Of course I got screwed over the announcement. I wasnt realy thrilled with the machine. Im super happy with my choice to go with a dual quad.

dual quad 3.0gighz

8 gigs ram

512 ati video card

1.5 tb

Its one hell of a machine. Does renderings in illustrator / smart object transfers without sometimes even loading a blue bar. Its deffintely on top of its game. Also since of the new features in cs3. Bridge is flawless. Load time of average program such as illustrator photoshop /indesign. 4-8 seconds. I couldnt be happier. And as you may know cs 3 only realy takes advtantage of 3 gigs of ram if you set it that way. in preferences.

Later guys in a rush for lunch.

os x is a dream to run at 8 gigs of ram.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I now have the new eight-core Mac Pro with 9GB of RAM and the ATI1900. The Applications folder on this new machine now has about 175 items in it. What I'd like is to see the folder completely drawn by the time my finger loses contact with the mouse button, but it still takes two or three seconds (maybe slightly longer) for that window to finish drawing.

I remember the difference in window-drawing speed between the Performa 6400 and the Power Mac 6500. The 6500 got its own graphics card instead of using one of the integrated gizmos and it drew windows much more quickly than its predecessor. Actually, I think that 6500 could draw its Applications folder window more quickly than this new eight-core 3GHz Mac Pro. Of course, that was back in the days of Mac OS 8 and Speed Doubler. How many of y'all remember those days?

Call me crazy.

It's the system designers that are crazy I think. We have computers that are around 100 times faster than those old machines and they managed to slow down the response time. How did that happen?

I've found the Utilities folder to be the worst for me. It has a delay on almost every machine I use. There was a report suggesting that Leopard has fixed some of these annoying delays, we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Efficiency

Load time of average program such as illustrator photoshop /indesign. 4-8 seconds. I couldnt be happier.

CS3 is a great relief. I had two machine next to each other and one was trying to load Indesign CS2. It had taken about 30 seconds and still hadn't launched. I then started Indesign CS3 and it was not only open but loaded in a huge and complex file while CS2 still hadn't opened.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Dear Friends

What draws folders' contents? I'm guessing that may not be GPU-accelerated in OS X yet.

Call me crazy.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

What's your HDD?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

]What I'd like is to see the folder completely drawn by the time my finger loses contact with the mouse button, but it still takes two or three seconds (maybe slightly longer) for that window to finish drawing.

I have an, uh, awesome solution for you!

1) Open Terminal.app

2) cd /folder location/

3) ls

I *guarantee* you that the contents of the folder will be displayed by the time your finger loses contact with the enter key.