Apple carves out 3-hour notch for WWDC keynote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nmcphers View Post

"For its part, Apple has continually denied such claims through subtle but official comments to members of the analyst"

So I guess Phil Schiller saying "Absolutely not" is considered subtle. Guess he should have went for "no way in hell."

Kinda like Apple adamantly denying that Leopard would be delayed and then, well, you know.....
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Question: Is there anything significant enough in the Santa Rosa architecture to make releasing hardware based on it wait for Leopard?

And, is there any good, technical reason to delay releasing SR based systems until WWDC?

If all of Leopard's secret goodies are revealed, and iPhone dev tools and dev program are announced, I can see that taking up lots of time, but I don't understand why new machines would be announced unless from a developer's point of view there was something significant in them.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

In that 3 hour time period - I hope they spend 15 minutes addressing the fix /refresh to the following problems:

1) no ...

[...]

and finally...

8) iPhone: more information

Nothing on Leopard at all?

I don't think Apple will talk about new products that don't pertain to devs.

-Clive
  • Reply 24 of 43
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Question: Is there anything significant enough in the Santa Rosa architecture to make releasing hardware based on it wait for Leopard?

And, is there any good, technical reason to delay releasing SR based systems until WWDC?

- Jasen.

Not that I'm aware of, but remember, there was no good, technical reason to wait until WWDC'06, more than a month after Woodcrest was introduced, to debut the Mac Pro, but that didn't stop them from waiting to make a big splash. Heck, they even delayed the Merom MacBook Pros, and there wasn't even a conference to show them off at! I think it's almost certain from past precedent they'll wait till WWDC to debut the new Santa Rosa Macs, unless they're really concerned about getting bad press because of the dearth of hardware updates in recent months combined with the delay of Leopard. Or because they have too much other stuff to talk about at WWDC. But those seem like longshots..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser

5) intermediate desktop computer - Oh throw in the towel already. Not gonna happen.

6) ultra portable / palmtop Mac - Winter '08, haven't you been keeping up?

7) Video / touchscreen iPod - Fall '07, haven't you been keeping up?

• Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

If all of Leopard's secret goodies are revealed, and iPhone dev tools and dev program are announced, I can see that taking up lots of time, but I don't understand why new machines would be announced unless from a developer's point of view there was something significant in them.

- Jasen.

Yes, very good last point about hardware. I think a lot of people who peruse these forums think that WWDC is about them. It is not.

About SR: Its new features include "Robson Caching" (which was just renamed to something else) which has the potential to increase proc. speed by 50% for some functions including PS filters and FCP whatnots... things that typically take a long time. Also of note is the proc. speed scaling, the self-overclocking of one of the cores for software that isn't multithreaded. That'll increase the speed of fuctions without burning up the whole box since only one core will be overclocked.

I'm sure you can look it up on wikipedia and find out more...

-Clive
  • Reply 26 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    One other possibility is that Apple is working with Sun to make OS X Leopard fully ZFS.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I think that Leopard and iPhone programming could easily eat up all this time.

yup, Steve will talk about the revolutionary things he talked about a year ago and six months ago as if they're brand new.

as for hardware, i would hope several refreshes take place [monitors/towers/imac/mini] but i'm not holding my breath. i'm guessing macbook/iPod refreshes wait until back-to-school season.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

iMac replacement plz

Me too.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Apple has MANY things they can talk about.

1) Update about the iPhone

2) Update about OS X

3) Update about iLife which is dependent on new OS X

4) Update about iWork (with new spreadsheet) which is dependent on OS X

5) New versions of hardware which new version of OS X 64 bit can take advantage of (better support of multiple cores?)

6) New displays to take full advantage of resolution independence?

These could EASILY take up three hours.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

But I only need to test stuff to make sure it works in Internet Explorer.

You may want to check out this: http://browsershots.org/

It's currently rather slow, but works great for me.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    - Leopard, 1 hour.

- Software brief: iLife, iWork, Final Cut Studio with ProRes etc, 30 minutes.

- iPhone, both for consumers and developers, 45 minutes.

- New portable products with Santa Rosa. 20 minutes.

- Screening of new commercials 10 minutes.

- Presenting their complete lineup and new prices, comparsion charts etc, 15 minutes.

- Guest appearances Adobe, some at&t guy, pro video guy, x-code guy, 20 minutes.

(Which includes the return of the Photoshop benchmark Win vs Mac script test with 8-core mac)

- Music performance, 10 minutes

(- No new ipods will be presented at the launch day of the iPhone.)
  • Reply 32 of 43
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    If Jobs uses the keynote to tie together the AppleTV, iPhone, and the Mac under Leopard/iLife/iWork, then 3 hours might not even be enough time. Note that when Leopard was previewed last year, AppleTV and iPhone weren't announced yet, so the Top Secret features could be related to them.

My speculation: Dashboard widgets gets prominent play and expanded to work on iPhone (for sure) and AppleTV 2.0.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

8) iPhone: more information - especially as it pertains to developers and how Apple is not going to lock out its developers by discussing product strategies for 3rd party applications.

Didn't you hear, third party developers will be left out in the cold. Only Apple will be able to create apps for the iPhone. Apple will get rich off of selling iPhones and 101 apps for the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its a nice thought. It would easily knock away Windows marketshare, increase Apple's OS and HW marketshare faster than anything else Apple is doing.

However, it's just not feasible.

Have you tried CrossOver? There are very few apps that work, and none that work exceptionally well. Apple does not want the responsibility of supporting other people's poorly coded apps. If your Photoshop for Windows isn't working right under Apple's RedBox but was working just fine on your WinXP PC whoare you going to blame? Who are you going to call for support? You guys can read all the Cringley articles you want but this 7 year old rumour is no where close to coming to fruition anytime soon.

Is it conceivable that Apple could come up with a developer kit for Windows developers, which

would allow them to create a CrossOver-like version of their app for running on MacOS? If the

work required was much less than doing a full Mac development of the app, they might go for

it. They would have the expertise to perform thorough testing and Apple would not have to be

involved, except for receiving feedback on how to improve the developer kit.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

There's also no concrete explanation as to why Apple's enterprise division, which has seemingly obtained Parallels' customer list, has been routinely phoning those customers to find out how they're using the Parallels Desktop software for Mac in the enterprise.

Intriguing.

I think you can only take Apple's multiple, repeated, very unsubtle denials that they're working on a virtualization solution for Leopard at their word.

However. I find it entirely possible that they could be working on some kind of technology that allows for a kind of fast-user switching with OSes -- e.g. the ability to save Mac OS X or Vista's OS state to RAM, and switch over to another OS in a moment.

That would be pretty interesting, and it would get around the whole issue of MS officially restricting less expensive versions of Vista for virtualization.

Honestly, though, Boot Camp may be enough. I think Leopard will be focusing more on massive UI improvements than WIndows.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Didn't you hear, third party developers will be left out in the cold. Only Apple will be able to create apps for the iPhone. Apple will get rich off of selling iPhones and 101 apps for the iPhone.

Word on the street is some third party developers will get a chance to develop their Apps for the phone.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    lets unveal the iRACK and the iRAN!
  • Reply 38 of 43
    I'm no computer genius, but would it be possible to run windows as if it were another account on you computer? It wouldn't require a reboot and it wouldn't apply virtualization. You just log into your Mac account and when you need to, log into and switch to your Windows account. I don't mean them to be separate accounts in the literal sense, just the ability to switch between the two as if it were different accounts. Does that make sense? If it is possible, it wouldn't break the EULA from Microsoft since no virtualization is needed and people wouldn't need to reboot. Someone tell me the technical reasons why this won't work.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Two hours of the presentation will be Steve demoing a full restore using Time Machine.

The capacity crowd will be on the edge of its seat as the progress bar march towards completion.

(inch...inch...inch...)
  • Reply 40 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Apple will get rich off of selling iPhones and 101 apps for the iPhone.

Are you seriously suggesting they shouldn't?