Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz ? How soon ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a 2.5 Ghz in the works?

I have a friend who is debating buying the current 15 inch 2.33 Ghz ... but I have a sneaking suspicion that the 2.5 GHZ machine is just around the corner.

If you were to advice my friend, would you advice her to hold off till the 2.5 arrives? or buy a 2.33 now ?

Or alternately, should she wait for a 2.5 Ghz machine loaded with Leopard...which means it is going to mean holding off, till the end of the year..?

Aquafire

Anyone heard any rumours re the 2.5 Ghz ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    2,2 and 2,4 for shure but intel may surprise us once more...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    3 ghz by summer!

• Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    5.1 Gfp's by this time next year
  • Reply 4 of 22
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The next bump is 2.66ghz I believe. Should happen pretty soon. My guess is WWDC or shortly thereafter.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    2.4GHz is coming in May or June. I would guess 2.6GHz in 2008.

Update: Unofficial roadmap from another thread: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../kaigai_1l.gif

I predict that Apple will not use "extreme" processors.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

I predict that Apple will not use "extreme" processors.

Hmmm... It is their PRO machine. They should.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Yea they will use it if they want to put 3rd degree burns on their customers legs and get sued about a million times.

Maybe in the iMac
  • Reply 8 of 22
    wawaxwawax Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Hmmm... It is their PRO machine. They should.

they should soon...........

soon...........
  • Reply 9 of 22
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    Give it just long enough to piss you off, then buy. Grandfathering is a horrible process.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    andrewpmkandrewpmk Posts: 28member
    I'm not sure I would want a 2.66GHz MBP if it produces more heat than the current one (which produces a lot at 100% CPU). Let's hope that this will be a 45nm processor and that it doesn't produce a lot of heat.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm hoping for a new MBP in about a month or so with these new features:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB

1GB Turbo Memory (Robson)

LED backlighting for 15.4" widescreen display
  • Reply 12 of 22
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post

If you were to advice my friend, would you advice her to hold off till the 2.5 arrives? or buy a 2.33 now ?

It's ADVISE

advice is something you seek

advice from the mac dictionary :- guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action, typically given by someone regarded as knowledgeable or authoritative : she visited the island on her doctor's advice | even successful businessmen asked his advice. ? a formal notice of a financial transaction : remittance advices. ? archaic information; news : fresh advices from Europe

PHRASES take advice obtain information and guidance, typically from an expert : he should take advice from his accountant. ? (usu. take someone's advice) act according to recommendations given : he took my advice and put his house up for sale.

to advise is something you do

advise from the mac dictionary

advise |?d?v??z| verb [ reporting verb ] offer suggestions about the best course of action to someone : [ trans. ] I advised him to go home | [ trans. ] he advised caution | [ intrans. ] we advise against sending cash by mail | [with direct speech ] ?Go to Paris,? he advised. ? [ trans. ] recommend (something) : sleeping pills are not advised. ? [ trans. ] inform (someone) about a fact or situation, typically in a formal or official way : you will be advised of the requirements | [ trans. ] the lawyer advised the court that his client wished to give evidence.

People confusing sell and sale gets on my nerves as well

This is not directed solely at you, I think I have just reached a limit today so apologies for offence caused, but it offends my eyes to read it

End rant.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...t/core2duo.htm

Santa Rosa, officially in the website, matter of time, macbook and Mac Book pro updated, WWDC may be perfect time to introduce
  • Reply 14 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...t/core2duo.htm

Santa Rosa, officially in the website, matter of time, macbook and Mac Book pro updated, WWDC may be perfect time to introduce

I don't see what on the page leads you to believe there will be a 2.5 GHz (or faster) model any time soon.
  • Reply 15 of 22
  • Reply 16 of 22
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Santa Rosa officially released, Chucker i do not understand your question, are you saying Apple not gonna use these CPUs? Certainly it will be updated latest by 11th June.

Price list in intel site not updated yet, then we will know, how the existing core 2 duo priced.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Santa Rosa officially released, Chucker i do not understand your question, are you saying Apple not gonna use these CPUs?

I'm saying that this topic says "2.5 GHz", and in the list you linked to, the fastest mobile CPU is 2.4 GHz.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    What kind of processor is the E6700 in that list? Are those all mobile CPU's because that one is 2.66GHz.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The E6700 is a Conroe processor.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

What kind of processor is the E6700 in that list? Are those all mobile CPU's because that one is 2.66GHz.

The Exxxx, Xxxxx, Qxxxx and QXxxxx models are only intended for desktops. They use a different socket, chipset, type of RAM, etc., have a power draw well above acceptable levels for a laptop, and don't employ as many power saving measures.

The Txxxx, Lxxxx (low voltage) and Uxxxx (ultra-low voltage) models are usable by laptops. Apple currently only uses Txxxx, for Mac minis, iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

I hear there will be higher mobile CPUs, with 2.6 and 2.8 GHz, but possibly with power draw too high to be of use for MacBooks and MacBook Pros (though perhaps fine for an iMac).