Apple earns $770M profit on sales of $5.26B

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Were they wrong?

Sort of. The products were good, sometimes even exciting. But they lead us on to think of even greater things than what actually comes out.

They also hint that we will be seeing more new products than actually do come out.

Upgrades to current products, or product lines don't really count.

So what will we have this year that we know about so far?

The ATv, the iPhone, and eventually, hopefully, Leopard, even thought that is an upgrade.

That's really very little for a $20 billion company, soon to be a $28 billion company.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Hey guys. Can we keep this thread on track and not turn it into yet another headless iMac/mini tower debate?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Im going to get so flamed again, but why the fuck cannot Apple put this in a nice Apple case and flog it to me with OSX???? This system costs me £730 minus Operating System if I build it myself. Id willingly pay Apple a 30% premium on that - £1000 ($2000) to do it for me and sell me OSX. But its like banging your head against a brick wall - for Years.

Intel Quad @ 2.4 ghz

2gb Ram

X1650XT graphics

Heh. ...

1. You don't want an X1650XT. You need a 7900GT, 7950GT, 8600GTS or 8800GTS.

2. In which case might as well run Windows in Parallels on a MacBook or MacBookPro, frack this tower bullshit man, it's all about portability nowadays. Then get an XBOX360 or PS3 for gaming.

3. Okay, I promise whatever I post next will be back on topic with.... w00000t Apple profits w00000t...!!!
  • Reply 63 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Desktop sales are rising. Just not nearly to that of laptops.

...Seeing as how the iMac hasn't had a bump in a while it's not surprising that the new Mac Pro isn't making up the difference.

....Mac Mini is due for a bump.

....What's interesting from this: http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q207data_sum.pdf

....is that the greater of their revenue still comes from the Desktop/Laptop lines.

Yeah... good points. ...I have no friggin' clue what the frack is up with the Mac Mini.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

ATT/Cingular told analysts yesterday on CNBC that they have already surpassed a million sale orders for the iPhone; and between 60% - 70% are new accounts.

These aren't sales orders as such, according to the Conference Call. It is a database of queries they're building up. AFAIK.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sort of. The products were good, sometimes even exciting. But they lead us on to think of even greater things than what actually comes out.

They also hint that we will be seeing more new products than actually do come out.

The ATv, the iPhone, and eventually, hopefully, Leopard, even thought that is an upgrade.

That's really very little for a $20 billion company, soon to be a $28 billion company.

Those "upgrades"/new products are good enough for me... ... Widescreen touch iPod video would be nice, but then I'd rather get an iPhone anyway and have my iPod+mobilephone.

Leopard is teah sexay but Tiger is purring nicely. AppleTV, well, my Dad needs a decent DVR/Tivo-esque device soon-ish. So, AppleTV not so important for me right now.

The "real" upgrades I'm holding out for is

1. 7200rpm 120gb SATA2 Seagate 5-year warranty drive [here on the equator there be no 7200rpm 2.5" drives. I frack you not.]

2. 8X DUAL LAYER superdrive replacement in me MacBook [this means 8X DualLayer BURNING, not 4X or 2.4X that is usually slower than the DVD-R or +R singlelayer speed]... for some sweet iMovie/FinalCutExpress/iDVD action.
  • Reply 65 of 100
    Quote:

...That's really very little for a $20 billion company, soon to be a $28 billion company.

Yeah, most of their 12 billion USD in "cash" is actually a huge tank of gold coins for Steve Jobs (and maybe Oppenheimer) to dive and swim in, ala Scrooge McDuck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageTTitle.jpg

• Reply 66 of 100
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Terrific off the mark analysis, Mel. Let's just put aside AppleTV and Leopard for this discussion.

The iPhone is "only" a brand new tri-functional product with a totally new design in a totally new cut throat highly competitive established industry. I can see your point that Apple so far , i/3 of the way through 2007, has not produced much.

And finally, Wall Street and the public have resoundingly validated your thesis "thats really very little for a $20 billion company".
  • Reply 67 of 100
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Where the hell have you been? Has anybody else done any better?

As per your list, AppleTV: a $300 box that does something that no one else has been able to do with such ease of use even you should be able to use it. The iPhone, with millions waiting to bite the bullet, consider it revolutionary and again nobody is coming or appears to be coming forward with anything better or as revolutionary. And to suggest that Leopard is just an upgrade is the most assinine comment I have ever heard on these forums. With Time Machine alone you have to be an idiot not to appreciate the advancement.

What about the Mac Pro 8-core. Who else has 8-core? Who even has the mother board itself? Who else but Apple could arrange such a coup? Unimaginable hardware, just waiting for developers to scream to success. Oops, that was this year wasn't it?

What about Final Cut Studio 2? Oops, that was this year too wasn't it? Look what the introductions of Garageband, Aperature, Logic Pro, etc., and even going back to the beginning with MacWrite and MacPain has done to spark the creative minds of millions of users and thousands of software developers.

Obviously, you are not a member of the developing community in which thousands at the WWDC07 would literally phase hysterics at your comments. Perhaps you better ask the pros at CBS what they think of Final Cut Server (Oops, that was this year too wasn't it?) or the hundreds of universities that have created supercomputers by clustering Mac servers at a fraction of what IBM and the likes would cost. Do you know anything about Apples' Xserver Raid?

So what will we have this year that we know about so far? What about DRM free music? Oops, that was this year too wasn't it?

"They also hint that we will be seeing more new products than actually do come out?" Name them. Now. How well has Microsoft done in this regard, or all those hardware developers, MP3 players and/or game makers?

Interesting that up to recently, Apple was being chastized for not coming out with forward statements re new products, and constantly being barraged with suggestions that 'Users' Want to Know.' So Apple compilies, and low and behold gets more crap fired upon them for missing the date by a few weeks. As if they or anyone else could have done any better.

Truly dissapointing that here we should have to read so much anti-mac'isms. So little appreciation for what is being accomplished or quite often a lot of 'buts'. Can't comment without labelling Apple 'liars'. From the same group of idiots that back in 84 crapped over Apple for bringing out the mouse, trash can, eraser, ruler and the 3.5 inch floppy. The same group of idiots who lambasted Apple for dropping the floppy for CDs. The same group of idiots who predicted the demise of Apple for moving to Intel. The same group of idiots who hopefully will grow up someday?but I wouldn't count on it.

Anybody else who feels the same? Or am I in the wrong forum? Let's get these naysayers out of here.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

The iPhone is "only" a brand new tri-functional product with a totally new design in a totally new cut throat highly competitive established industry. I can see your point that Apple so far , i/3 of the way through 2007, has not produced much.

iPhone is not even out yet and won't be for two or three months yet. It's still technically vaporware. I don't doubt that it will be released and will be nice, but to suggest that Apple has produced it is premature.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    xsmixsmi Posts: 140member
    Just watching CNBC and on Squawk box both of the host were discussing how Vista was moving people to the mac. The Female host said she boughth a mac recently and th e man said his nextpc will be from Apple. I almost fell over. The man (Mark?) used to wax on and on how much he admired Michael Dell. My how times are a changin'.
  • Reply 70 of 100
    Quote:

What about the Mac Pro 8-core. Who else has 8-core? Who even has the mother board itself? Who else but Apple could arrange such a coup? Unimaginable hardware, just waiting for developers to scream to success. Oops, that was this year wasn't it?

Dell and HP has offered 8-core systems since December. There's nothing that special about the motherboard that no one else has been able to do. The only difference is that Apple chose to use even higher-wattage chips to get 3GHz quad chips.
  • Reply 71 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Terrific off the mark analysis, Mel. Let's just put aside AppleTV and Leopard for this discussion.

And finally, Wall Street and the public have resoundingly validated your thesis "thats really very little for a $20 billion company".

You're looking at it wrongly.

First of all, we are talking about Apple's remarks, which lead us to think about a slew of products, not one or two.

Secondly, The fact that Apple's sales of its current products are strong has nothing to do with this at all.

I'm not selling my stock because Apple is only introducing two new products so far this year. That wasn't what the discussion was about at all.

My remarks are right ON the mark.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    Quote:

Where the hell have you been? Has anybody else done any better?

As per your list, AppleTV: a $300 box that does something that no one else has been able to do with such ease of use even you should be able to use it. The iPhone, with millions waiting to bite the bullet, consider it revolutionary and again nobody is coming or appears to be coming forward with anything better or as revolutionary. And to suggest that Leopard is just an upgrade is the most assinine comment I have ever heard on these forums. With Time Machine alone you have to be an idiot not to appreciate the advancement.

What about Final Cut Studio 2? Oops, that was this year too wasn't it? Look what the introductions of Garageband, Aperature, Logic Pro, etc., and even going back to the beginning with MacWrite and MacPain has done to spark the creative minds of millions of users and thousands of software developers.

Obviously, you are not a member of the developing community in which thousands at the WWDC07 would literally phase hysterics at your comments. Perhaps you better ask the pros at CBS what they think of Final Cut Server (Oops, that was this year too wasn't it?) or the hundreds of universities that have created supercomputers by clustering Mac servers at a fraction of what IBM and the likes would cost. Do you know anything about Apples' Xserver Raid?

So what will we have this year that we know about so far? What about DRM free music? Oops, that was this year too wasn't it?

"They also hint that we will be seeing more new products than actually do come out?" Name them. Now. How well has Microsoft done in this regard, or all those hardware developers, MP3 players and/or game makers?

Interesting that up to recently, Apple was being chastized for not coming out with forward statements re new products, and constantly being barraged with suggestions that 'Users' Want to Know.' So Apple compilies, and low and behold gets more crap fired upon them for missing the date by a few weeks. As if they or anyone else could have done any better.

Truly dissapointing that here we should have to read so much anti-mac'isms. So little appreciation for what is being accomplished or quite often a lot of 'buts'. Can't comment without labelling Apple 'liars'. From the same group of idiots that back in 84 crapped over Apple for bringing out the mouse, trash can, eraser, ruler and the 3.5 inch floppy. The same group of idiots who lambasted Apple for dropping the floppy for CDs. The same group of idiots who predicted the demise of Apple for moving to Intel. The same group of idiots who hopefully will grow up someday–but I wouldn't count on it.

Anybody else who feels the same? Or am I in the wrong forum? Let's get these naysayers out of here.

That's a lot of writing to say so very little.

Out of all of this, the only thing I might grant you is the DRM-free songs. But that was unexpected even to Apple. According to EMI, and I have no reason to doubt it.

The only one here who is being hysterical is you. I doubt that developers would get hysterical over my remarks, whether they agree, or disagree.

Everyone who produces large machines has 8 core machines. Apple does have the 150 watt special bin 3 GHz chips a bit before the "real" 3 GHz chips come out at a lower power rating, but as with most of the products you mentioned, they are an incremental upgrade, not the new products Apple keeps talking about.

And by the way, it's not called "anti-Mac" It's called "anti-Apple", the Mac is a product, Apple is the company. Please get that straight.

And, we are certainly not anti-Apple here. We are just being interested in what is going on in regards to what Apple says, and what they do.

I suggest you calm down, you're turning purple.
  • Reply 73 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Dell and HP has offered 8-core systems since December. There's nothing that special about the motherboard that no one else has been able to do. The only difference is that Apple chose to use even higher-wattage chips to get 3GHz quad chips.

Now I know you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    Quote:

?not the new products Apple keeps talking about.?

Name them!
  • Reply 75 of 100
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah... good points. ...I have no friggin' clue what the frack is up with the Mac Mini.

Santa rosa. That or elimination in favor of something more media oriented and a bit larger to complement aTV (cube like size with a couple bays for drives using ZFS, santa rosa ig, 802.11n, Core Duo). Something like that might also be able to pull double duty to replace the eMac for edu desktops if there is pushback. Price would go up again tho'.

Vinea
  • Reply 76 of 100
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Oh dear. You have a serious attitude problem, and to top it all off, you're making yourself look an utter idiot by being totally wrong about this 8-core business. Dell have had 8-core (2 x quad core Xeon processors) machines available since november last year (see here). JeffDM is absolutely right that the only special thing about the Mac Pro 8 core is that Apple got an exclusive on 3 GHz parts.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    Quote:

Where are you coming from?

This is from this very site, which you say you read.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...kstations.html

How about this?

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr.../061114xa.html

Apple's machine is EXACTLY the same as its older 4 core models—except for the chips.

Read this part of Anand's review of the original 4 core machine:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

Perhaps you owe Jeff an apology.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    Quote:

Name them!

I don't know why I'm bothering with you, but if you read Apple's statements for yourself, you might understand what we are talking about.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Name them!

You've misunderstood what we're actually talking about here.

This all started when some newbie picked up on the "amazing new products" quote from the conference call, and thought that it was a significant comment.

However, it is not a significant comment, as Apple say it all the time.

Now, of course, Apple is a computer hardware and software company; they are constantly evolving products in order to remain competitive. They've always got product updates in the pipeline; if they didn't, they'd be out of business in a year or two.

Yes, the AppleTV and iPhone are brand new product categories for Apple, but Apple have been using the standard "we've got great new products in the pipeline" for a very long time now. It is clear that what they are talking about when they say that is just the product refreshes/updates that everyone should reasonably be expecting anyway.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    Quote:

Really? I think you are deliberately trying to be ignorant of competing products. Several other companies have offered 8-core workstations based on the very same type/series of chips that Apple uses in their Mac Pro, Apple only got a slightly special variant on the CPU, that's all.