Apple's third Manhattan flagship to open in Meatpacking district by year's end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    fastredfastred Posts: 23member
    I love reading all the comments from the retail placement experts

Clearly, Apple Retail have no idea what they are doing. They are doomed, just like Gateway....

<evil grin>
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Here's a theory I haven't seen mentioned:

Apple will close the SoHo location (due to the high rents) after opening the store in the (relatively less expensive) Meatpacking District.

Of course, Apple won't say they are "closing" the SoHo store, but that they are "relocating" to a larger location.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I thought there already were three Apple stores, was a smaller one shut down?
  • Reply 44 of 72
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

I don't understand all of the flagships!

And why does every store in New York become a flaghip?

Because New York is the center of the universe and nothing of

significance ever happens anyplace else
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I also have a set of pictures of the Towers falling down that a friend shot from his 14th floor studio at Union Square.

That's something I hope to never have to see a duplication of.

Yes, we must all remember the events of 7-11.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Producer View Post

I live in the flatiron area.. I'm not big on their decision. The meatpacking is more of a nighttime area..it's also located far west not convenient to many trains and doesn't have the daytime walk by traffic as the other locations do. I don't know what their thinking here other than that in a few years the area may become more of a daytime place as it has changed so rapidly...

A much more sensible place would be the flatiron area.. convenient to all trains, mostly retail stores these days, centrally located, lots of foot traffic both day and night. Only down side is tekserve is in the area.

The other option would be union square... convenient to trains, lots of students, It's basically on 14th st but much more central. Any other opinions here?

I agree with Union Square, although I can't think of a space big enough that is available, then again the Soho store is just two subway stops away. The meat packing district (funny how no developer has come up with a more vegan name yet for the area) does have some of the highest fashion stores in the city. Basically the whole city has exploded with construction, hoards of tourists and traffic. Apple is about "cool, hip or trendy what ever you call it and this location reflects those aspirations.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Why doesn't Apple focus more on markets where it has few or no stores? There are already two Apple Stores in Manhattan, do we need a third? There are stores in almost every major US city. Yet, there are few stores in Canada - there is none in downtown Montreal (only in Laval, a northern suburb of Montreal) and none in Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton - only Toronto has a store in the downtown core (and two in the suburbs). There are no stores in Asia outside Japan or Australia, and there is only one store in continental Europe, in Rome. Apple should open stores in major cities like Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai before building a store which is only a short walk away from an existing one.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    ONE STORE TO RULE THEM ALL !!! muah aha haha ah aha hah ah ha
  • Reply 49 of 72
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Because New York is the center of the universe and nothing of

significance ever happens anyplace else

Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post

Why doesn't Apple focus more on markets where it has few or no stores? There are already two Apple Stores in Manhattan, do we need a third? There are stores in almost every major US city. Yet, there are few stores in Canada - there is none in downtown Montreal (only in Laval, a northern suburb of Montreal) and none in Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton - only Toronto has a store in the downtown core (and two in the suburbs). There are no stores in Asia outside Japan or Australia, and there is only one store in continental Europe, in Rome. Apple should open stores in major cities like Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai before building a store which is only a short walk away from an existing one.

We have to keep in mind that Apple HQ Global is a predominantly American company at this stage. Give them time, look how long it bloody took for an Australian iTunes Store. And here in South East Asia....
  • Reply 50 of 72
    vvnemvvnem Posts: 1member
    Long live New York. Long live Tekserve.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Brit, you're incontestably stupid.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post

Just looking at the demographic profiles of some cities and New York comes on top. For example, New York has a population of 8 million in 300 square miles for a density rate of >25,000 people per square mile. Compare this to LA (3.6/468/7800); Toronto (2.5/243/10,000); London, UK (6.6/609/12,479); Portland, Maine (.06/21/3059); population (millions)/square miles/density.

And that swells significantly during the daytime hours when business and tourism (in particular NY) are maximized.

Of course, that is only part of the picture. I would imagine that there are hundreds of perameters that Apple looks at in its selection process. For sure, the proverbial fruit on the tree, or the business adage, i.e., easiest place to increase your business is from your current customers. New York in numbers, is undoubtedly number one, but surprisingly Toronto is right close if not number 2 in that regards compared to most cities in North America.

One might argue that major cities around the world would offer the same potential. However, issues such as language, ease of getting to the desired location, specific target audiences, disposible income, real estate governances, planning/building/personell/training costs, trust in information resources, wealth, wealth and wealth are just a smiggin of the concerns that would have to be addressed.

One of the things that I am sure Apple looks at very closely is its own customers as stated above. Like a lot of Mac'rs, I can't wait to visit 'the' Apple store when I travel to New York or the likes. Recently, I was in Toronto and visited the Yorkdale store. It was the middle of the week and it was packed. As I approached the door, a crowd of people where standing around and I heard a little old lady ask, "What is going on," to which another bystander remarked, "They must be having a special sale." To which I injected, "Would you like to see your grandchildren every day." Last I saw them, they were in the process of buying an iMac (for the kids) and a MacBook for Florida. In this case, I just happened to have known the demographic profile Toronto. Something I try to get for every city/place I intended to spend time in.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Putting a store in the meatpacking district is a great idea. I just went out for drinks in the meatpacking district the other night and it's the perfect location for apple. Young people with a lot of money to spend.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Brit, you're incontestably stupid.

Eat a d***. TenoBell and Melgross were having a "who's more of a New Yorker" contest, and Mel played the 9-11 card.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. I'm pretty familiar with this area of Manhattan, and it seems to be an odd place for an Apple store. Too close to other Apple retailers, as well as their own store. Also a bit far over on the West side.

Yeah I agree that this location doesn't quite make sense. Does Steve Jobs have something against East Siders?

Also, Tekserve on W. 23rd St. can't be all too happy about this development.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    dank1dank1 Posts: 4member
    For all those questioning the wisdom of opening this store: I was in NYC this week and visited both of the existing stores. Both were PACKED! Every computer in the store had a customer in front of it. And this was in the middle of a weekday (the SoHo store I actually visited at 10 AM and it was already full). So I think there is clearly space for a third, even larger store in NYC. As Abster2core points out, the demographics are there. New York is the most densely populated city around here (North America), with a very high population of upper incomers, a high proportion of tech-savvy people, and a very high proportion of people working in the creative arts. An additional NYC store seems like an excellent decision.

DanK
  • Reply 57 of 72
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Eat a d***. TenoBell and Melgross were having a "who's more of a New Yorker" contest,

Really? I didn't realize and it wasn't my intention to be in a contest with Mel.

I agree the Meatpacking district isn't much right now. I was pointing out the construction and future plans for the area. It'll probably be at least a year and half to two years before this Apple store opens for business. By that point many of the projects under construction today will be completed. Developers are continuing to buy up the property around the High Line so there will be even more apartments, condos, and hotels under construction.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What are they going to do with all these high priced stores if there's an economic recession?

Start selling Apple t-shirts and coffee mugs.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanK1 View Post

For all those questioning the wisdom of opening this store: I was in NYC this week and visited both of the existing stores. Both were PACKED! Every computer in the store had a customer in front of it. And this was in the middle of a weekday (the SoHo store I actually visited at 10 AM and it was already full). So I think there is clearly space for a third, even larger store in NYC. As Abster2core points out, the demographics are there. New York is the most densely populated city around here (North America), with a very high population of upper incomers, a high proportion of tech-savvy people, and a very high proportion of people working in the creative arts. An additional NYC store seems like an excellent decision.

DanK

I agree. I especially hope they dedicate adequate space for a theater to do training.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    For those who wonder why Apple would build a store in the Meatpacking District, here is an article in the New Yorker that extensively explains the High Line and the future of the area.

The High Line: It Brings Good Things to Life

How a Park built on a junk heap became a glamorous brand.

Someday, around a year from now, one of your friends is going to say to you, “Let’s go to the High Line.”

Now, this person might be talking about the High Line park, the well-publicized ribbon of greenery that’s being constructed on an abandoned elevated rail line in far west Chelsea, running north from Gansevoort all the way to 34th Street. Or your friend might be referring to the High Line neighborhood: the new skyline of glittering retail spaces and restaurants and condos, designed by brand-name architects like Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel and Robert A.M. Stern, with names like the High Line Building and High Line 519 and HL23. Or your friend might mean the High Line Terrace and Lounge in the new condo tower at 245 Tenth, which promises prospective residents views over the High Line, along with “polished cervaiole marble floors.” Or maybe your friend wants to go to the Highline Thai restaurant on Washington Street, or the High Line Ballroom, a recently opened concert venue, which, starting May 9, will be part of the High Line Festival, an event curated by David Bowie and showcasing such snazzy right-now artists as Ricky Gervais and Arcade Fire. Granted, a few of these events will be barely within yodeling distance of the High Line—you know, the railroad—but no matter: Two of the festival’s producers, Josh Wood and David Binder, chose the name less for a proximity to the High Line than for their philosophical alignment with the park. “The High Line is very much about aesthetics and design,” says Binder. “We’re trying to be as well.” “Everyone in New York City has been so supportive of the High Line,” says Wood. “It’s probably the one public-works project that no one has anything bad to say about.”