Evolving Apple seen entering rental space for video games, movies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Maybe a mini tower would cause sales to rocket--but it isn't part of their current plan.

For a while now I've wanted a mini tower. I recently bought a black MacBook for my wife and after seeing how it runs I am extremely excited about getting the top of the line MacBook Pro for myself in January 08.

This is some amazing news from the QTR results.

"59 per cent of all Macs sold were portable systems"
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Wow, y'know believe it or not, this is the first time I haven't had the urge to impail him with a forklift.

And for me, that's saying a lot...

Need I continue?

-Clive

How utterly uninteresting,
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Wu love you long time!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I believe that Video "rentals" have a lot of potential, especially if there is one price for "just released" movies and a lower price for older ones.

I do think Video Rentals could be HUGE for Apple, especially as they can be watched on the Mac, PC (iTunes), AppleTV, or iPod. The main problem is the bandwidth.

A recent analysis said that 10c of each music sale went to bandwidth - that's 10c for 5MB. The current resolution TV shows are about 220MB - That's $4 just for bandwidth on a $2 show... so the analysis has to be wrong, right?!?

Anyway - bandwidth does have a cost, especially if/when they go 720p, and until Apple can make that work it will be an issue in rentals. As of last week, all iTunes sales are now "free quota" for me in Australia (iiNet) so maybe Apple is working on these issues one ISP at a time. Anyway - I'm all for peer-to-peer options, providing Apple can still get our film started quickly! (and keeping it free quota would be good too!)
  • Reply 25 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the new accounting allows Apple to state only 1/8 of a hardware sale each quarter, over the longer-term, Wu believes it will improve the company's linearity and his ability to predict future revenue streams. It may also be a sign of future initiatives on the subscription front.

I fail to see how amortizing hardware sales has ANYTHING to do with hinting towards subscriptions for media. It would smooth out the earnings reports, masking erratic sales and dampening seasonal trends (the "linearity" Wu mentions). I think his mentioning of subscriptions is a blatant attempt to stir the pot and get attention for himself. Either that or he's completely clueless (did he miss Steve's very blunt statement about Apple not being interested in subscriptions?).

I do hope Apple is moving towards rentals for movies at least. I think a $5/movie rental business would do very well. I'd even be willing to pay that for their current sub-standard resolution video in exchange for the convenience. But again, this would have nothing to do with amortizing hardware purchases.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Wu love you long time!

There's nothing "borderline" about that racist comment.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Because hes the only Japanese person you can think of?

I believe Wu is a Chinese name, not Japanese.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Can someone explain this accounting method? It almost seems like cheating to me - how can you count money that you get in one quarter over 8 quarters? What's the point?

The point (as david_oc mentioned) is that there will be new functionality added to the iPhone and the Apple TV over time (Apple announced this on Thursday). By booking the revenue over time, they can allow the new functionality to be added to previously purchased devices without charging for it (like they had to do when they enabled 802.11n in previously sold computers).
  • Reply 29 of 35
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    am i the only one who thinks apple is totally ignoring the Mac side of Apple? i mean they put all of it on the backburner.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is not a borderline racist comment. Ignorant, yes, but that's about all you're guilty of.

And to answer your question, no, I did not.

I pictured a pompous, know-it-all, douche-bag.

I was right.

Look at that smug grin...

-Clive

You can tell all of that just by a photo? I think your interpretation says a lot more about you than him.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's nothing "borderline" about that racist comment.

Sucky Sucky! Five dolla!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Sucky Sucky! Five dolla!

No thanks. Even with your "good teeth".
  • Reply 33 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

am i the only one who thinks apple is totally ignoring the Mac side of Apple?

Uh, yes.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No thanks. Even with your "good teeth".

Oooooh, come here Yankee! Wu so horny! I yankie your crankie! Five dolla!
  • Reply 35 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:

Oooooh, come here Yankee! Wu so horny! I yankie your crankie! Five dolla!

Ok! Enough already.