Briefly: iTunes movies confirmed for Europe by year's end

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The point is, from our point of view, we get treated as second class citizens despite the huge money Apple charge us over here. It's ALWAYS America first.

...USA!...USA!...USA!...
  • Reply 22 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Just why do we have a §± key anyway? and why can't they put double quote over the 2 where it should be? And can I have a a # key please!!!

Excuse the side rant!

What is that first key you mentioned?

You don't have the # as a shift of the 3 key?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Veering off topic for a while...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What is that first key you mentioned?

The key next to 1 on the top row is § and with shift ±. Two characters that do not deserve their own key. Just what would we use them for that's so important? I don't even know what a § is for! ± I can get but § ???

See http://flickr.com/photos/brunogirin/134415596/

Every time I look at it I have a mental WTF!

Quote:

You don't have the # as a shift of the 3 key?

Nope. We have a sterling pound sign £ which is normal for a UK keyboard. To get # you have to use option-3 which makes life in Terminal a little tricky as that's the meta key in the default terminal setup. Try commenting out lines in config files without a # key!

Here's what Apple give us in the UK...

And here's what it should be if it was to match common PC keyboards....

I've highlighted the keys that are 'wrong' if you're used to PC keyboard layouts. The main one that gets people is that Apple doesn't reposition quote and @ to match a UK keyboard layout, instead sticking with a US layout for those keys. I actually prefer the US layout for that but I spent a lot of time using Japanese keyboards which are the same in that respect. The others I can't forgive. No # key is just idiotic.

At least our backspace keys don't have delete written on them though.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    And before the PC bashing lobby get going, the UK layout posted above has been the case on every full size UK keyboard I can recall typing on - including ancient micro computer and even manual typewriters.

The inability (without manually text editing some system files) to make a USB keyboard with a standard UK layout have the correct mapping makes a complete mockery of the Mac Mini advertising BYOKM.

[Bring your own keyboard and mouse is actually stressed on the UK mini box "If you have a spare USB keyboard from a PC etc you can just connect that...." - well you could, but if you are new to macs you will be confused a heck of a lot while trying to do simple typing.]
  • Reply 25 of 30
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    At the express wishes of several non Anglophile countries cultural issues were expressly excluded from the single market agreements. That is the reason for the different iTunes stores in the different countries in Europe.

Don't expect this to change soon.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    § from wikipedia

I don't see much point in having this symbol when a # would be more benificial, but I find the single ' and double " quotes on the same key VERY handy indeed.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

§ from wikipedia

Ah, it's the Apple Legal key.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Ah, it's the Apple Legal key.

Seen in that light it does make some sense
  • Reply 29 of 30
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Well, why don't you call the European Commission and tell them to force the licensing companies in all of the different countries to grant Apple one license for all of Europe? That would speed things up.

Can you name any significant group of countries that have a common licensing system anywhere in the world?

The reason Apple wants to do it this way is because it's more profitable to have a single European iTunes store selling from a tax hole like Luxembourg. It has nothing to do with the EU or common licensing.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Can you name any significant group of countries that have a common licensing system anywhere in the world?

The reason Apple wants to do it this way is because it's more profitable to have a single European iTunes store selling from a tax hole like Luxembourg. It has nothing to do with the EU or common licensing.

I can't, but I thought regulation harmonization was one of the reasons to form the EU.