Should I buy a laptop this summer or wait?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I practice in Kentucky as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Mac based practice is tough as there is little mac based software. iDental and Macpractice are available for general practitioners. I've not seen them demoed so I don't know how good they are.

Hmmm...a little off topic but do you use digital xray? My dentist did that and it was rather cool. PC based though.

VInea
  • Reply 22 of 35
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Hmmm...a little off topic but do you use digital xray? My dentist did that and it was rather cool. PC based though.

VInea

Not yet. Our practice spent about 80,000 dollars upgrading our old machines about 7 years ago. At that time digital x rays were still pretty new. In retrospect we should have gone digital then. Now we're looking at an office based cone beam ct unit with specific algorithims for oral surgery. The only downside is price- $200,000
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Not yet. Our practice spent about 80,000 dollars upgrading our old machines about 7 years ago. At that time digital x rays were still pretty new. In retrospect we should have gone digital then. Now were looking at an office based cone beam ct unit with specific algorithims for oral surgery. The only downside is price- $200,000

Looked like it was just a sensor hooked up to his laptop...flip-top tablet in laptop mode I think. Used the same xray as he did with film...

He was pretty excited...I had a vertically split 1st bicuspid that he thought was pretty rare. Took xrays, pics, and showed all the other dentists. I got a kick out of the xray thing hooked up to a PC...I'm such a geek.

Apple needs a tablet. I see more and more docs with tablets and using dragon to take notes. (Heh, this brings this post somewhat back on topic). Do you use iListen or ViaVoice on the mac?

Vinea
  • Reply 24 of 35
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Looked like it was just a sensor hooked up to his laptop...flip-top tablet in laptop mode I think. Used the same xray as he did with film...

He was pretty excited...I had a vertically split 1st bicuspid that he thought was pretty rare. Took xrays, pics, and showed all the other dentists. I got a kick out of the xray thing hooked up to a PC...I'm such a geek.

Apple needs a tablet. I see more and more docs with tablets and using dragon to take notes. (Heh, this brings this post somewhat back on topic). Do you use iListen or ViaVoice on the mac?

Vinea

We can purchase a 'digital' upgrade for our existing units but the cost is really high. The new digital machines are better yet. I really rue the day we got our panoramic x ray machines. At the time they were the best 'old' tech you could get. \

We have tablet pcs that we use with our new PM software. I was initially really high on them but as time has gone by I quit using them. I think tablets could find it's niche in healthcare though.

I haven't tried iListen or ViaVoice but maybe I should.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm going to go against the flow. Buy now and you'll get a tried and tested and established OS (Tiger) on machines that have hopefully had enough revisions to mean they are very reliable. Buying new model hardware with new OS/software *could* cause you headaches when you less need them. Depends on how important having the latest and greatest is to you.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liz101 View Post

Hi,

I'll be starting medical school in the fall and was planning on buying a MacBook or MacBook Pro later this month (so I could get comfortable with using it over the summer...i've been a PC person). But now that the release date of the Leopard has been postponed to October, is it worth waiting until then to buy the laptop? Will the LED screens be on these laptops by then? Any other new features/changes I should take into account?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm lost b/c there seems to be a lot going on with Apple!

Thank you very much

I suppose I'll create my own fresh response, so if I cover stuff that's already been said, I'm sorry, though it should give you a good idea what's likely or most important.

The MacBooks were just updated not even 2 weeks ago, so new updates any time soon on those are unlikely. Market analysts, however, expect to see a new MacBook Pro released at WWDC (the World Wide Developer's Conference) on June 11th. I also highly believe that's going to happen then. If not, then very close to it. LED displays, I am almost certain, will be a part of the refresh of the MBPs (since we had reports a month or two ago that Apple ordered 100,000 15" LED displays). Other anticipated updates are adding Santa Rosa technology, updating the GPUs, as well as general RAM, HD, and similar speed bumps.

As for Leopard, it is going to be a significant upgrade, so we've been told, though we don't really know just how much of one. We will see, however, at WWDC, so you'll want to go watch the keynote at Apple.com on June 11th to see what all is going into this version. You can always upgrade in October once it's released.

So basically, what I'd say is wait until WWDC. If there are no MBPs by then, wait maybe 2 more weeks, and if there's nothing by then go ahead and make your decision and buy then.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

My two cents: I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of getting used to the machine before heading to school. Grad school is not a cakewalk and you want to focus on your studies from the beginning. The current MacBooks and MBPs are very capable machines and will work with Leopard when it comes out.

It really doesn't take that much time to get minimally functional with a Mac. Especially if you end up using Office for Mac.

Frankly the new hardware is worth the wait if you have to live with the machine a few years. The current machines are ready for a refresh and the MB got a simple speed bump not a refresh. Either a 13" MBP, iTablet or Santa Rosa MacBook are worth waiting for.

Vinea
  • Reply 28 of 35
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    We disagree but it is a healthy discussion that will help these young ones think through their purchases.

In my classes (and I would say most likely most grad courses, too), being minimally proficient with your machine won't cut it. If you don't know how to use your machine, it won't be an effective assistant.

A month is plenty of time; you do not want the machine toarrive the day before you ship off for school.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We disagree but it is a healthy discussion that will help these young ones think through their purchases.

In my classes (and I would say most likely most grad courses, too), being minimally proficient with your machine won't cut it. If you don't know how to use your machine, it won't be an effective assistant.

A month is plenty of time; you do not want the machine toarrive the day before you ship off for school.

Do you really think it takes all that long for the "young ones" to get sufficiently up to speed to churn out a paper or do any work/research?

I have a summer intern between high school and college and "minimally proficient" for a tech major is handing him a machine, installing Java and saying "Go build me this...grab me if you have a problem".

Even a liberal arts type will be able to Google, Limewire, IM, YouTube and social network better than a CS major from 20 years ago (that would be me) based on my non-geeky nieces and nephews. Getting connected to the school infrastructure will be more time consuming and annoying than figuring out OSX, Mac Office or Safari.

Vinea
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Frankly the new hardware is worth the wait if you have to live with the machine a few years. The current machines are ready for a refresh and the MB got a simple speed bump not a refresh. Either a 13" MBP, iTablet or Santa Rosa MacBook are worth waiting for.

Vinea

13" MBP - not going to happen (cuts into profits)

iTablet - not going to happen (Jobs is very against the idea of all-out tablet computers, and touch screens are pretty pricey, not to mention that Apple's only just started to address touch screens.)

Santa Rosa MBP - Very possible. Apple's releases of new technology have often been about a month after the technology's release. WWDC will be about that far since the announcement of SR.

Something else - Very Possible. Apple is known for their famous surprise "one more thing"...
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

13" MBP - not going to happen (cuts into profits)

Why would a $2000-$2400 11" or 13" MBP cut into profits? Just because its smaller doesn't automatically make it cheaper. Actually you could argue that the next MBP will be 11" or smaller just to justify the higher price.

Quote:

iTablet - not going to happen (Jobs is very against the idea of all-out tablet computers, and touch screens are pretty pricey, not to mention that Apple's only just started to address touch screens.)

So you believe the investment and patents in multitouch is only for the iPhone. Mmm...I'm gonna disagree. In any case, with HP and Dell aggressively beating down laptop pricing Apple will exit the traditional laptop market (except for a Pro model) as it did the desktops.

That leaves...smartphones and tablets.

Vinea
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Why would a $2000-$2400 11" or 13" MBP cut into profits? Just because its smaller doesn't automatically make it cheaper. Actually you could argue that the next MBP will be 11" or smaller just to justify the higher price.

I'm not talking about costs to make. What they could reasonably charge for a machine is pushed down because most people have that similar mentality. It's similar logic behind the small design of the Mac Mini. Thus, Apple can't charge much more above production cost, and make less profit. I also believe that the Pro market being targeted by the MBPs won't buy into a smaller screen - most want all the screen they can get before getting overly bulky. For some it's 17", but most that bulk limit gets to 15.4". an 11 or 13 inch MBP would appeal to a much smaller market and be a flop, much like the ultra-portable PowerBook.

Quote:

So you believe the investment and patents in multitouch is only for the iPhone.

Actually, I think that's quite possible. If you watch the keynote when Jobs enters text, he's not typing like you would with a conventional keyboard. I don't think the technology was intended for an application like that. Sure, it probably could be, but seriously, how reasonable is a dual-display laptop gonna be when it comes to price? Especially considering that touch screens are pricey themselves in normal computer screens.

Quote:

In any case, with HP and Dell aggressively beating down laptop pricing Apple will exit the traditional laptop market (except for a Pro model) as it did the desktops.

That leaves...smartphones and tablets.

What signs have you seen that point to Apple leaving conventional laptops? The MB and MBPs are Apple's biggest computer successes (aside from the iMac). They would have to be pretty dang confident in whatever they have up their sleeves to leave successes like those. Plus they are pouring a ton of money into the MBPs especially, since Apple has said that they were concentrating on those this year, I see no reason for them to waste their time on them if they're going to abandon them.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think your both in denial of each-others hopes. Although the dual screen laptop seems too far off the mark to even consider.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb

iTablet - not going to happen (Jobs is very against the idea of all-out tablet computers,......

I wouldn't doubt a tablet. When did steve jobs ever say he was against all out tablet computers? #1 I don't think he ever said it, but if he did was that before he said there would not be a video iPOd, or sometime near the time he said there was no reason for Flash Based iPod? Maybe it was all the way back when he hated TV, or before hell froze over (intel).

I think Apple has had prototyped many tablets over time, but never released one. I also think they know they can out sell all other tablets combined if they came out with one running Leopard, and multitouch.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I would defenately wait until Apple updates their notebooks, most likely in Late May, June, or Early July at the latest because there is no doubt that they will want to have these updated models on the market before the education buying season starts.

The new Santa Rosa chipset or "centrino pro" is a very exciting update to what is available now. If you are just going the Macbook route the new integrated graphics that is to be included is a huge upgrade to what is available now. If you are going the Macbook Pro route there is the upgraded performance of a faster bus speed, better battery life, and probably flash memory that will speed the entire system up. If they also introduce LED displays which is also a possibility than this will make the wait even more rewarding. Apple will most likey include a coupon for Leopard with the updated notebooks so people dont have an excuse to wait or purchase other hardware just because of the delay.

If it was just a simple processor upgrade that was expected I would advise you to just go ahead and buy now, but since it is such a major upgrade I would defanetly wait unitl the new notebooks are released. You never know, maybe they will come out with an entirely new design since one is due and has been rumored.

I am in the same boat as Liz, in that i just now decided to wait on buying a new Macbook. I will be using it for audio and the newest Core 2 duo 2.16ghz seems like it's already got power to boot. Granted i won't be taking on any substantial mixing projects, but getting the most powerful and up-to-date machine for the price is ideal.

It seems like you are the only one with any relevant information on Apple's plan to update their laptops. Knowing that buying a new computer is a kind of crapshoot, (updates and better deals are always on the horizon) it seems like waiting for the new chipset is ultimately the best move.

Still, $1299 for a Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz is damn good. It's no stretch of my patience to wait in expectation of a better machine, if it's to be similarly priced. I saw that you mentioned the graphics of the Macbook will be signifantly upgraded, being an audio user primarily this doesn't excite me as much.

What would your advice for an audio user be in waiting to buy, based on the current criteria of prices, performance, and impending updates?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblessing33 View Post

What would your advice for an audio user be in waiting to buy, based on the current criteria of prices, performance, and impending updates?

Audio stuff can actually get to be pretty demanding. Plus you need all the display space you can get. I work in a theatre with our own mastering studio, so I can tell ya that if you want it to definitely be what you want, wait for WWDC, when they launch the new MBPs and go for that.

As for the med student who started this thread, What exactly would you be using the laptop for? The general college thing - iWork/Office stuff, internet, e-mail, music? Or are there any specialized programs you'll be working with that would put a particularly large strain on the processor(s)?