Microsoft eyes Yahoo! in proposed takeover

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    smartzsmartz Posts: 34member
    If im honest there are a number of key reasons why i would be happy to see Yahoo fall into MS's hands. Firstly tighter Google Apple integration is on the cards and seems to be on the road map of several products so MS feels protectionist in this approach, secondly whilst there are some standout good products from Yahoo on the whole they are pale copies or also rans that Google already offer, but third and most importantly the MS culture is one of decline, divide and conquer without innovation lead MS to where it is now. MS + Yahoo would be like square plugging a round hole and in short i think we would see a terribly weakened Yahoo offering with MS paying the bill which i imagine would be significant, if Google and Apple could offering a truely compelling integrated approach i think it could finally show MS to be what it is....an antiquated dinosaur...
  • Reply 22 of 51
    would there be any reason why one wouldn't be able to check their gmail through the iPhone's Safari?

-Clive
  • Reply 23 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

I don't get the relation to Apple, really

Maybe make Google even cozier with Apple
  • Reply 24 of 51
    I hate the fact you have to pay for a mac account. I think if you own a mac it should be free and others should have to pay for the service. It's totally lame.

I would have to agree that a merger costing 50b sounds fiscally irresponsible for MS. Doesn't MS have a duty to make a profit for their shareholders? I have an idea for MS, how about you fix MSN and Hotmail before you head out and destroy Yahoo.

I bet if MS used that 50b to fix what it already has it could actually have something to be proud of. Just a thought, but what do I know I use a mac?
  • Reply 25 of 51
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    No! No! No! This can?t happen! Not never ever ever. Ever.

BIG FAT BOO @ MICROSOFT!!!!

I can just see where this would be headed. Microshite buys Yahoo!, all their services get integrated with the horrendously inoperable Microsoft services, MSFT stagnates (like it has been for the last few years).

Never!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 51
    bobmarksdalebobmarksdale Posts: 744member
    qoute:I have yahoo mail and they just informed me today that they are going to

start inserting advertisements in their mail service. yech!

Yahoo already uses ads in their mail. I hate receiving mail from anyone with yahoo because of all the annoying links sent like a sig. Gmail has ads, but they are nice and off to the side so they are unobtrusive. If M$ buys yahoo, i think gmail will soon become the dominant email force based on what has happened with msn, and also with peoples' general hatred of m$. That would be a good day.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I have yahoo mail and they just informed me today that they are going to

start inserting advertisements in their mail service. yech!

What are they going to add that they haven't already added?
  • Reply 28 of 51
    quislingquisling Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigfatdummy View Post

I hate the fact you have to pay for a mac account. I think if you own a mac it should be free and others should have to pay for the service. It's totally lame.

I would have to agree that a merger costing 50b sounds fiscally irresponsible for MS. Doesn't MS have a duty to make a profit for their shareholders? I have an idea for MS, how about you fix MSN and Hotmail before you head out and destroy Yahoo.

I bet if MS used that 50b to fix what it already has it could actually have something to be proud of. Just a thought, but what do I know I use a mac?

If this deal were to happen it's not like MS is going to write a 50 billion check, it would be a stock transaction. MS doesn't have that much $ lying around. Also, MSN is losing $ Y! is making money, just not like it was.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I do NOT want to see this happen!

MS doesn't have to attempt to dominate everywhere. This will make them strong enough to take over the number one spot.

As the article says, this would give them the number one eyeball count, though I wonder what the overlap actually is.

If this does happen, we need an Apple-Google-Sun merger as fast as possible.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigfatdummy View Post

MS throwing money at things has never resulted in superiority. Apple's R&D budget has been much lower, however their products are awesome while MS turns out crap every day. It's an issue of the culture at both companies, Apple has the better culture. It's like when Jobs said that "MS has no taste."
  • Reply 31 of 51
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple needs friends and didn't want to alienate Yahoo by getting in bed with Google.

Apple already has Google's CEO on their board.

If they announced the iPhone with only Google integration, Yahoo would probably stop worrying about Mac compatibility and focus on Windows users.

Apple also owns the iphone.org domain.

It would be cool if the purchase of an iPhone also came with a iphone.org email account.

[email protected]

I wonder if it also had anything to do with the fact that GMail is STILL in beta. However, the beta version of GMail is light years ahead of the release offerings of Yahoo or MS.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    What the hell are you talkin about. What 'crap' are they putting out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

MS throwing money at things has never resulted in superiority. Apple's R&D budget has been much lower, however their products are awesome while MS turns out crap every day. It's an issue of the culture at both companies, Apple has the better culture. It's like when Jobs said that "MS has no taste."

Back to topic. I hope this happens and the MS/Yahoo venture brings down google from their high horse.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What the hell are you talkin about. What 'crap' are they putting out?

You've got to be joking!

Quote:

Back to topic. I hope this happens and the MS/Yahoo venture brings down google from their high horse.

You've got to be joking!
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Hell no!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You've got to be joking!

You've got to be joking!

• Reply 35 of 51
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Yahoo!, which is valued at around $50 billion, is reported to have aggressively rejected the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant's initial attempts to discuss a takeover.

I like that phrase. Really lights the imagination. I sure hope it's true. I hope the guys at Yahoo are as appalled by this idea as I am.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I really hope Yahoo! can maintain independence. They are struggling at the moment, but they have a lot of promising technologies (Pipes, YUI, etc.) and talented engineers.

And really, who could possibly see Microsoft not running a site like Flickr or del.icio.us into the ground, deliberately or not?
  • Reply 37 of 51
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Microsoft + Yahoo would NOT be good for Yahoo.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quick, someone deflate their tires.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Doesn't the FTC have to approve this. Where is big government when you need them. NO more MS.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This merger could be even more successful than AOL+Time Warner.

It boggles the mind!

Yeah, we all know how that one turned out...