Intel rolls out Santa Rosa notebook platform, Macs to benefit

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. on Wednesday formally ushered in the "Santa Rosa" upgrade to its Centrino notebook platform, offering faster Core 2 Duo processors and chipsets, improved graphics, stronger wireless signals, better battery life, and an option to turbo-speed boot time and software application loading.

The world's largest chipmaker said more than 230 Intel Centrino Duo and Intel Centrino Pro processor technology-based designs from PC manufacturers, resellers and integrators around the world are expected to take advantage of these and other features this year.

Santa Rosa notebooks are expected to emerge in a plethora of shapes and sizes, with designs ranging from fully loaded, 17-inch wide-screen models ideal for entertainment to tiny, energy-saving notebook PCs that weigh less than three pounds.

"When we introduced Intel Centrino 4 years ago, Intel changed the computing landscape with our mobile innovations," said Mooly Eden, Intel vice president and general manager, Mobile Products Group. "Now, simply said, we have improved virtually all aspects of Intel-based notebooks, the most popular and fastest growing computing market segment in the world."

At the heart of the new Intel Centrino Duo and Intel Centrino Pro processor technology-based notebooks is the next-generation of Intel's highly acclaimed Intel Core 2 Duo processor, which delivers enhanced mobile performance and responsiveness for demanding business users and consumers alike.

Users will experience improved performance when running multiple applications simultaneously such as downloading a video clip while doing a virus scan, Intel said.

In addition, the Santa Clara-based chipmaker said its new Mobile Intel 965 Express chipset family with Intel Clear Video Technology will enable an enhanced high-definition video experience for Santa Rosa notebook owners. Users will be able to share their content with family and friends via TV easier than before with Intel TV Wizard, which is a simplified way to connect to HD-enabled TVs.

In order to download or upload digital content faster from the Internet, the available Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N will provide 802.11AGN WLAN capability and allows users more freedom to do more, delivering up to five times the performance for such tasks as downloads and twice the wireless access range, Intel claims.

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile chip line (top four are the new MacBook Pro-bound second generation chips)

Meanwhile, Turbo Memory is an optional feature, unique to Intel technology, that can access frequently used software applications twice as fast and reduce the amount of time it takes to turn on, or boot-up, a laptop by as much as 20 percent. In turn, this NAND flash-enabled feature lets users save on power consumption and increase battery life.

Intel said it expects hundreds of notebook models in a range of prices to be widely available beginning today.

For its part, Apple's first notebook design to incorporate Santa Rosa features should arrive in the form of an update to its 15-inch MacBook Pro during the second quarter of the year, which should pack a faster 800MHz frontside bus and second generation Core 2 Duo mobile processors ranging up to 2.4GHz with 4MB of L2 cache.

AppleInsider was first to report on the MacBook Pro update in an exclusive report this past January. In the report, it was also noted that the mainstream Apple notebook would be the first of the company's machines to adopt an LED-backlit display -- a claim that was recently corroborated by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    majordudemajordude Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel Corp. on Wednesday formally ushered in the "Santa Rosa" upgrade to its Centrino notebook platform, offering faster Core 2 Duo processors and chipsets, improved graphics, stronger wireless signals, better battery life, and an option to turbo-speed boot time and software application loading.

Great news!

Motorola updated their chips, what, once every few years?
  • Reply 2 of 108
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Users will experience improved performance when running multiple applications simultaneously such as downloading a video clip while doing a virus scan, Intel said

AppleInsider always picks out the best stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 108
    syklee26syklee26 Posts: 78member
    i was getting annoyed by fanboys crying for Santa Rosa MBPs for months. Hopefully this will end soon. (plus I think most of those fanboys who cry for certain products never buy them once they hit the market anyway. They are just annoying).
  • Reply 4 of 108
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Quote:

AppleInsider was first to report on the MacBook Pro update in an exclusive report this past January. In the report, it was also noted that the mainstream Apple notebook would be the first of the company's machines to adopt an LED-backlit display -- a claim that was recently corroborated by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

*Chuckles* We like to toot our own horn dont we. :P

Quote:

In order to download or upload digital content faster from the Internet, the available Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N will provide 802.11AGN WLAN capability and allows users more freedom to do more, delivering up to five times the performance for such tasks as downloads and twice the wireless access range, Intel claims.

I though the "N" was already in our comps? Is this a hardware update or a new version of the product? I dont claim to be an expert on the hardware side, so any clarification would be appricated. ^^
  • Reply 5 of 108
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

i was getting annoyed by fanboys crying for Santa Rosa MBPs for months. Hopefully this will end soon. (plus I think most of those fanboys who cry for certain products never buy them once they hit the market anyway. They are just annoying).

Well then celebrate while you can. Won't be long before they start crying for Montevina MBPs (5th gen centrino - 45nm - due 2008).
  • Reply 6 of 108
    bewebstebewebste Posts: 2member
    What about the 17" MacBook Pros? From the info given, it doesn't look like 17" LED screens will be available yet, but surely they'll still get a speed bump if the 15" MBPs do, right? It would be supremely lame if you could get a faster 15" machine than you could for a 17" one.
  • Reply 7 of 108
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 393member
    Any word or speculation on when and how much the 667 frontside bus chips will drop in price? I have a Mac Mini Core Solo that I've been wanting to upgrade the processor on, but have sworn to myself to wait for the price drop.
  • Reply 8 of 108
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Santa Rosa notebooks are expected to emerge in a plethora of shapes and sizes, with designs ranging from fully loaded, 17-inch wide-screen models ideal for entertainment to tiny, energy-saving notebook PCs that weigh less than three pounds.

Ah... for a cute little three-pound notebook from Apple. If only.

And this:

Quote:

...improved graphics, stronger wireless signals, better battery life, and an option to turbo-speed boot time and software application loading.

What's not to love.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilraq View Post

...I though the "N" was already in our comps? Is this a hardware update or a new version of the product? I dont claim to be an expert on the hardware side, so any clarification would be appricated. ^^

The N hardware in current Apple laptops, I believe, is there because Apple is using chipsets from other vendors. Intel's announcement means that their Centrino "platform"?which includes the CPU, wireless, memory interface, and in some instances video chip?supports A, B/G, and N. The previous iteration, I believe, was A and B/G.

Bewebste: I suspect the laptop upgrades will come independent of the LED screens, an added cost option over the LCD, at least initially. Which is not really what I'd like to see as I'm about due for a new laptop and I'd really rather a 17" w/LED over a 17" LCD or worse 15" LED.
  • Reply 10 of 108
    So theoretically we could see speed bumps and price drops like we used to in the PPC days?
  • Reply 11 of 108
    I'm not sure I'd count on a price drop. Certainly not on the LED based machines, possibly I guess on some models if they still offer LCDs, given that the 2.4Ghz part is $100 cheaper than the 2.33Ghz part. Apple could just as easily bump up the base RAM, or bundle a higher end video chip to justify a stable price.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

The N hardware in current Apple laptops, I believe, is there because Apple is using chipsets from other vendors. Intel's announcement means that their Centrino "platform"?which includes the CPU, wireless, memory interface, and in some instances video chip?supports A, B/G, and N. The previous iteration, I believe, was A and B/G...

Thanks for the clarifcation. ^^
  • Reply 13 of 108
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Not to forget: finally 4GB RAM in a laptop. Aperture (and its related processes) can easily use up one GB, with Matlab I also often hit the 1 GB mark. My 3 GB often already get used pretty completely.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    hiddenwolfhiddenwolf Posts: 49member
    I'll believe the better battery life when I see it. It seams a G965 chipset will now actually consume more memory than a 2.4Ghz dualcore proc.

I'm guessing they upped performance while keeping power consumption the same. That means reducing power consumption for some parts, and upping performance for others.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

plus I think most of those fanboys who cry for certain products never buy them once they hit the market anyway.

exactly. at that point they'll have enough information on the next generation of the products to cry for those. a never ending story. i for one am happy that i just upgraded from a 2GHz to a 2.3GHz MBP. 3GB of memory instead of only 2GB was reason enough to make me do take that step. FW800 and the faster processor were just added value to that upgrade

i'll be in the market for another upgrade soon enough. good thing macs usually retain an excellent price on the 2nd hand markt for quite long. there's really no reason to hold out with any purchase from Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Side Note:

Technology Review has a pretty good article on Apple's Design. Not super-revelatory, but still worth a read. http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18621/

• Reply 17 of 108
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm patiently waiting for a new SR MBP w/LED LCD. I hope it'll have 1GB of flash Turbo Memory (Robson). Any rumor sleuths have any info about that? How about the case design? Any changes there?

As for Penryn and the rest of the goodies next year, there's always something better down the road but I'd like to get a new 15" MBP this year. Leopard will be out 4 months after the SR MBP ships so it'll be nice to have a new Mac to load it on when the time comes.
  • Reply 18 of 108
    drkickdrkick Posts: 1member
    My girlfriend's 3 years old laptop (worth <$400) just broke and it would cost $220 to fix it.

The 2 choices at this point are to fix it or buy a new one. (looking at a refurbished macbook). I would normally go for the new one but 2 things keep me from doing so.

1. If a new "Santa Rosa" Macbook is released soon and current Macbook prices drop, i'd be pissed

2. She doesn't use her laptop much so she could easily work with her old for maybe another year.

Just like to get some opinions from others before I make a move.

Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 108
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drkick View Post

You're setting yourself up for disappointment no matter happens. There will always be speed bumps and price drops shortly after you buy, no matter what you buy.

The first generation of LED displays are coming, a flash based minibook is coming, higher max ram capabilities are coming, and much more.

Jump in when you need to buy. If you want to wait then do so.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drkick View Post

My girlfriend's 3 years old laptop (worth <$400) just broke and it would cost $220 to fix it.

The 2 choices at this point are to fix it or buy a new one. (looking at a refurbished macbook). I would normally go for the new one but 2 things keep me from doing so.

1. If a new "Santa Rosa" Macbook is released soon and current Macbook prices drop, i'd be pissed

2. She doesn't use her laptop much so she could easily work with her old for maybe another year.

Thanks

Tough to say what to do. The new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro is likely coming soon (by the end of June), but the new Santa Rosa MacBook? Hard to say... though you'd think they'd want to get it out no later than September, to hit the back-to-school buying season.