Apple Pro App 4.0; notebook drives; new UK stores; Beatle(s)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has released Pro Application Support 4.0 just as Hitachi hits a new storage capacity milestone with its 7200 RPM notebook drives. Meanwhile, Apple has confirmed plans for two more UK-based retail outlets. And one of Britain's Fab Four is said to be on his way to iTunes.

Pro Application Support 4.0

Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Pro Application Support 4.0 for users of Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

The 7.6MB update improves general user interface reliability for the company's professional applications and is recommended for all users of Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Final Cut Express HD, Soundtrack, Logic Pro and Logic Express.

Hitachi paves way for larger 7200 RPM MacBook drives

Meanwhile on Thursday, Hitachi announced that it has started shipping the TravelStar 7K200 -- the industry's first notebook drive to store 200GB while maintaining a desktop-class 7200 RPM speed.

The drive, which will likely emerge as a build-to-order option for Apple's 17-inch MacBook Pro notebook, is said by Hitachi to be roughly 18 to 33 percent faster than previous drives operating at the same speed

The updated TravelStar also consumes roughly the same power as 5400 RPM drives and is designed to be quiet enough for watching movies and other clips directly from the hard disk.

In addition, the 7K200 also offers an added layer of security rarely seen in notebook drives. A technique dubbed Bulk Data Encryption can be switched on to dynamically encrypt and decrypt data as it's written to and read from the drive, reducing the chances that information will be stolen through a software hack. Old drives' information can be locked away from access simply by deleting the encryption key that handles traffic.

Two new stores confirmed for UK

Apple has confirmed plans for two more retail stores in the UK, promising new shops in Reading and at the Lakeside Shopping Centre in Essex.

The news means Apple hopes to have at least sixteen retail outlets operating out of the region by the end of the year, notes Macworld UK. Earlier this week it began recruiting staff for a new Apple retail store in Exeter.

Apple is currently recruiting retail staffers for newly-confirmed shops in Brighton, Glasgow, Milton Keynes and Solihull. Additional UK-based Apple retail locations in Edinburgh and Liverpool are also rumored.

One Beatle on his way to iTunes?

February came and went without the Beatles' arrival on iTunes, but the folks over at Ars are telling fans of the legendary British rock band not to fret.

According to their sources, former Beatle Paul McCartney is going to be joining the Apple download service with his new album available as a preorder as soon as next week.

Furthermore, the site says, McCartney plans to make his entire back catalog available soon thereafter -- possibly the following week.

"It's unclear whether McCartney will be going exclusive on iTunes for the launch of the new album and back catalog or whether he will be launching it all on other stores," the report states.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    What? No comments on "Paul McCartney" bringing his music to iTunes??? Come on, guys. This is more exciting than Santa Rosa chipsets and LED backlight displays!!!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Oh ... exclusive... please please please
  • Reply 3 of 20
    1st and 2nd best concerts I have been to (been to ALOT!).

Mr. Mc goes on and on with the hits for over 3 hours without a break...

And his guitarist is one of the best ever.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    As much as I love the Beatles, come on... even a mild Beatles fan has at least several Beatles CDs (at least Blue, Red and/or 1 collections). I guess it would serve to benefit casual listeners not familiar with Beatles song title.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I'm not too worried about getting the Beatles on iTunes... it'll happen eventually.

Now Led Zeppelin not being on iTunes, that kinda annoys me.

• Reply 6 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    McCartney.. what about Harrison?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    In case no one has noticed, John's album Double Fantasy is available on iTunes. Has been for a couple weeks now.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyRacoon View Post

In case no one has noticed, John's album Double Fantasy is available on iTunes. Has been for a couple weeks now.

Post that iTunes link.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

McCartney.. what about Harrison?

George Harrison passed away from cancer back in December 1, 2001

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ...harrison.obit/

Don't know if and when any of his post-Beatles music will show up on iTunes. I wonder if George's personal music collection ownership was passed to his son, Dhani, who is into music and looks remarkably like the early George.

Young George

Pictures of Dhani

http://beatlesnumber9.com/dhani.html

So Beatle(s) is just Paul and Riingo

SORRY - Title should be "RIP, George" (stupid F)
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Post that iTunes link.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...41487&s=143441
  • Reply 11 of 20
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    maybe the beatles will be launched on itunes at the opening of liverpools apple store ????
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Give us a good apple store in Cardiff! Please!

-tj
  • Reply 13 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    More tech specs on the 7K200 drive:
    • Travelstar 7K200 & E7K200

• Price: $249 (7K200)

• 80/100/120/160/200 GB; 120/160/200 GB (E7K200)

• 9.5 mm in height

• 7200 rpm

• 164 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density

• 1/1/2/2/2 glass disk platter(s); 2/2/2 disks (E7K200)

• 2/2/3/4/4 GMR recording head(s); 3/4/4 heads (E7K200)

• 1000 G/1ms non-operating shock

• 350 G/2ms operating shock

• 4.2 ms average latency

• 10 ms average read time/11 ms average write time

• 1.0 W active idle (not applicable to E7K200)

• 0.8 W low-power idle (not applicable to E7K200)

• Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s encrypted, 3Gb/s; Serial ATA 3 Gb/s (E7K200)

• 115 grams in weight

• 2.2/2.2/2.5/2.5/2.5 Bels typical idle acoustics; 2.5 (E7K200)

• 2.6/2.6/2.9/2.9/2.9 Bels typical operating acoustics; 2.9 (E7K200)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomozj View Post

Give us a good apple store in Cardiff! Please!

-tj

true true thought you would have had one before reading and MK although there's SO much cash in reading it's unbelivable..........

they must be going on big shopping centres as reading has the Oraicle which is in the top 10 in the country (i spent 18 months there loved it)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Reading is also smack bang in the UK's computer industry too. Oracle, Microsoft, SGI and any number of computer companies are headquartered in Reading. It's a good place for an Apple store.

The Microsoft UK HQ moving to Reading was the one MS feature I really liked - my house price shot up - enough that I almost doubled the price I paid for it in 2 years and giving me enough to finally get out of the horrible south buying a larger house in Yorkshire for less money.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyRacoon View Post

Last I checked, "Imagine" was not available, and there's a huge John Lennon catalog that's not on iTunes yet.

I'm hoping the McCartney album will coincide with the Beatles catalog coming to iTunes. Steve Jobs said non-DRM tracks would become available in May, so maybe there's an event coming before the end of the month.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Anyone think this will prompt a response from seagate? Be nice if they shipped a 300GB @ 7200 next month
  • Reply 18 of 20
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Yes! Yes! Yes! An Apple Store at Lakeside! Finally! I?m submitting my CV tonight!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hitachi paves way for larger 7200 RPM MacBook drives

Meanwhile on Thursday, Hitachi announced that it has started shipping the TravelStar 7K200 -- the industry's first notebook drive to store 200GB while maintaining a desktop-class 7200 RPM speed.

It should be noted that this drive IS the 9.5 mm thickness (unlike some 2.5" HDDs) and will fit into the MB & MBP.

-Clive
  • Reply 20 of 20
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    There is to be an Apple Store in Exeter too. This is awesome for me as my house is about 10 minute walk from there!