Jobs: 'I make fifty cents for just showing up'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Personally, I think political power comes from two sources: Money and Votes.

Money:

ie Trial Lawyers -- pay huge sums to ensure that the legal system remains one endless litigation - of money wins and money loses. (That is to say if you have money you will be sued whether it's deserved or not, and if you have more money you'll much more likely to win whether it's deserved or not).

ie Tax Cuts for the High Income earners -- pay huge sums to ensure they can retain more of their already large income.

Votes

ie Elderly vs Working class -- the AARP will make it so that social security never gets fixed and likely gets worse, increasing it's already hefty burden on the working class whose taxes goes to the ever growing retired class.

ie Teachers unions -- will continue to ensure education money is spent poorly by expanding the number of administrators and idiotic teachers at the expense of the good teachers who don't want/need bureaucracy or idiotic teaching peers, simply a better salary.

ie Anti-Abortion / Pro-Choice -- regardless of where you stand on the issue, it's obvious that each party is hopelessly tied to one side or the other for votes.

My this came out longer than I wanted

I have to say that you do have a jaundiced view.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have to say that you do have a jaundiced view.

The last 12 years of partisan politics has been petty, vindictive and hugely porked. Do you think the next 8 years will differ? Although I think whomever wins the upcoming election is going to be a single term President regardless of who it is.

Vinea
  • Reply 43 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,509member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The last 12 years of partisan politics has been petty, vindictive and hugely porked. Do you think the next 8 years will differ? Although I think whomever wins the upcoming election is going to be a single term President regardless of who it is.

Vinea

No, I don't think so, at least I don't think it will make a complete turn-around.

But, this is what we can expect when religious rightist elements take control of a major political party.

If they lose the next presidential race, and continue to lose in Congress, then a major assessment will be taken in the Republican party. That could result in the religious influence being minimized. I see it happening already, but not by too much yet.