how will the ultra-portable compete? (Macbook v Viao TZ etc.)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Running OSX to me includes iLife, iChat, iWork etc. out of the box. Without it, it's OSX lite.

I just think it will be really hard for Apple to make a useful enough for 'creative mac types' machine in a 11" form factor. And Iif they prove me wrong I'l buy two!

Given that you can run iLife, etc on an aging single 800Mhz G4 Quicksilver you can most certainly run iLife, etc on a 1.06 Ghz ULV Core 2 Duo. If its not fast enough for you then you shouldn't be looking at ultra portables anyway. You're going to have more problems with disk space than CPU cycles on an ultraportable (ie likely equipped with a 32GB SSD) for iMovie unless you lug along external disks. Which if you're going to do anyway you might as well lug along a 13" or 15" MBP...assuming they make a 13" MBP in the future.

Vinea
  • Reply 22 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Anybody who's never owned a WinCE handheld computer just doesn't know how incredibly handy they can be. If only it ran OS X, had WiFi and could run other software like VLC and Pages, I'd still be carrying it around.

Perhaps the iPhone...although the CPU will be wimpier than what I remember from the NEC. I have one sitting in a box somewhere...

Vinea
  • Reply 23 of 28
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous View Post

iPod gave us Front Row. iPhone gives us... ?

Bleacher seats?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    It's obvious that people want a 13" macbook pro. Apple is being ridiculous about ignoring the protests after the removal of their smallest pro laptop. I had a 12 in Powerbook and loved the size to death. I had to adjust to my 13" Macbook when it came to slipping it in my overstuffed backpack.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

it has a 1.0 Ghz processor

So how is it going to run vista?

and yes i realize that it is dual core... but it still has no chance of not lagging.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

So how is it going to run vista?

and yes i realize that it is dual core... but it still has no chance of not lagging.

idunno....talk to Sony!
  • Reply 27 of 28
    the Folleo [sic] pretty much gets wrong, what can go wrong with a sub-notbook: yet another gadget to do not much, unles you like spreadsheets and bar graphs.

Why would I buy a $300-500 smart phone and then get a $500-700 crappy noetbook to enable the "assumed/expected/required" functions of my smart phone??

Edit: But don't take my word for it: Ars

Apple's sub-notebook will have to somehow solve this problem. ideas?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Apple Subnotebook:

Weight: 2.5 pounds or less, no optical drive of course but perhaps include a small and slim external one in the package.

Size: 11" Widescreen--just big enough to include a full size keyboard, likely very thin.

(Check out the Intel concept subnotebook for what Apple should be aiming for in size and weight, and style of screen [I love the extend to the edge thing]. I wouldn't mind orange glowing keys instead of blue, either.)

GPU: There are tiny fanless graphics cards out there that remain better then Intel's stuff, perhaps [like Sony] give an option to toggle between the sort of decent dedicated card and not at all decent Intel GPU to save battery life.

CPU: ULV topping out at whatever GHz Santa Rosa has for ULV chips.

GPS: Stick a GPS chip in all Apple laptops and iPhones and develop location services.

Excellent battery life (some out there claim around 14 hours, I don't 8 would be unreasonable and that's still way more then Apple's current notebooks).

I'd add an optional 3G radio (UMTS, all three common bands; or EV-DO) as well, WiFi is far less common and rather less used outside of North America because Europe and Japan/Soputh Korea have excellent 3G coverage.

That's it. Very portable, light, and very long-lived; suitable for the Asian market (notably Japan, where Apple hasn't been able to sell anywhere near what they should be selling) along with business users, students, and anyone else who needs a ultraportable laptop and doesn't mind the speed trade-off.

--------

The Folio? That's a subnotebook sized device (that still weighs kinda a lot, for the size) without most features of a real operating system all in a package that, well cheaper then most subnotebooks, does a small subset of the features. Also the instant on-off is not terribly impressive to OS X users. It's actually off instead of sleeping I admit, but sleep doesn't use much power anyway.

Heck a portable keyboard attached to the iPhone is not far off the unwieldy monstrosity of the Folio.

I would have been much more interested in an Info Pad type device.