Apple looks towards structural bonding for thinner, lighter notebooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In keeping up with the trend towards thinner and lighter notebook models, Apple in a recent filing discloses methods for improving enclosure designs through parts that are structurally and electrically bonded together during the manufacturing process.

The technique, notes the Mac maker in a December 2006 continuation patent filing, offers an alternative approach to most existing notebook enclosures, which tend to be bogged down by weighty mechanical assemblies having parts that are screwed, riveted, snapped or otherwise fastened together at discrete points.

Lighter enclosures that use thinner plastic structures and less fasteners also exist, according to Apple, but they tend to be more flexible and therefore they have a greater propensity to buckle and bow than those having thicker, heavy mechanical assemblies.

"Unfortunately, increased weight may lead to user dissatisfaction, and bowing may damage the internal parts of the portable computer," the company wrote in the filing.

Apple also notes that as the power and sophistication of integrated notebook circuits have increased, so has the level of electromagnetic interference. In order to prevent interference, PC manufacturers often shielded enclosures with an electrically conductive material to block the emission of electromagnetic radiation, which also leads to more weighty and bulky designs.

"Although current enclosure designs work well," said Apple, "in many instances it would be desirable to provide enclosures that are thinner, lighter, stronger and aesthetically more pleasing than current enclosure designs."

Specifically, the Cupertino-based firm's patent proposal covers an enclosure having at least two unique parts that are structurally bonded together to form a singular composite structure with structural glue, or an enclosure having at least two unique parts that are electrically bonded together to form a singular integrated conductive member.

The methods are particularly useful in the notebook space, according to the company, because it will allow manufacturers to build tiny enclosures around a tightly knit set of internal components, instead of having to maneuver those parts into pre-formed casings or use heavy fasteners to accomplish the same task.

For example, the filing calls for the use of a compliant structural adhesive (glue) that is compliant when dispensed and then cures to a rigid structure over time. The glue would transform between a liquid state, exhibiting its compliant attributes, and a solid state, exhibiting its structural attributes.

"In the liquid state, the glue exhibits a readiness to flow and a relatively high incompressibility that allows it to fill the gap (whether small or large)," the filing states. "In the solid state, the glue exhibits rigidity and a relatively high resistance to movement that allows it to maintain the width of gap chosen during the liquid state, and to form a singular composite structure."

By way of example, Apple said the glue may be applied between a notebook's top frame and the top plate in bead form (liquid state), and after a set time, the glue may harden thus forming a rigid structure that attaches the top frame to the top plate (solid state).

"Generally speaking, the adhesive offers a dynamic way to place multiple parts in desired positions relative to one another and a static way to fix the multiple parts together," the company explained. "In one implementation, the glue is a two-part catalytic epoxy that forms a strong structural bond between the plastic top frame and the metal top plate [and can be] used to structurally attach the carbon fiber top frame to the titanium top plate."

In another aspect of the invention, the conductive bridge is electrically bonded to a portion of the conductive layer and to a portion of the top plate. The binding nature of the conductive bridge would be arranged to form a singular electrical structure, including the conductive layer and the top plate, for shielding the top case from electronic emissions.

In most cases, Apple said the conductive bridge would be arranged to seal a gap formed between the recessed portion of the top plate and the conductive layer of the top frame. The conductive bridge could be formed from a conductive paste that exhibits good electrical characteristics and good adhesion between the conductive layer and the top plate.

"In one embodiment, the conductive paste is a metal filled electrically conductive ink that forms a strong electrical bond between the plated top frame and the metal top plate. In general, the electrically conductive ink is a solvent-based material that includes a metal filler and a carrier medium for carrying the metal filler. In most cases, the carrier medium is acetate," according to the filing. "During several experiments, it was found that a nickel filled electrically conductive ink formed an exceptionally strong electrically bond between the Nickel-Copper plated conductive layer and the titanium top plate."

The continued work by Apple on the patent proposal, titled simply "Computer enclosure," comes amid reports that the company plans to introduce later this year its thinnest and lightest Intel-based notebook yet (see Apple to re-enter sub-notebook market).

The filing is credited to Michael Kriege, Dan Hong, John DiFonzo, Stephen Zadesky, David Lynch, David Lundgren, and Nick Merz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    David Lynch works for Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

less fasteners

Should be "fewer fasteners"

Otherwise, nice to read that Apple is continuing to research into how to make their laptops even lighter without sacrificing rigidity.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    This sounds like it would make it even harder to get into their laptops and replace components...
  • Reply 4 of 46
    So now you can patent using glue to stick two objects together?

The Patent Game reaches a new, even sillier realm...
  • Reply 5 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

This sounds like it would make it even harder to get into their laptops and replace components...

That is what I was thinking.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    atokenatoken Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is what I was thinking.

Ditto
  • Reply 7 of 46
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    I'll ditto that ditto.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    charliexcharliex Posts: 18member
    it'll be interesting to see if they can beat the x505 weight/size wise, i believe apple poached some vaio guys last year or so.

the description is a bit like bonding together a lotus elise chassis.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

I'll ditto that ditto.

Tritto.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lanky_nathan View Post

Tritto.

Quato?

• Reply 11 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TinyIslander View Post

So now you can patent using glue to stick two objects together?

The Patent Game reaches a new, even sillier realm...

They are treating the glue as a structural component (it could possibly be an injection-molded glue, for example) and as a conductive element... to eliminate wires and decrease product thickness. It all sounds promising to me.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Anyone else notice where the finger sensor is....and the lack of keyboard

Looks like this laptop may be based on another patent they filed awhile ago...
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Huh? The first pic clearly shows a place for a trackpad and keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Uh... if you glue the case together, how do you take it apart to replace components?
  • Reply 15 of 46
    If taken to the extreme ...... This sounds like the machines may not be expandable and not repairable without buying a new case. Possibly disk drive and memory, all else built into the motherboard or the case (antennas and screen for example).

Very interesting. Maybe we can take an old machine and dip it into epoxy, LOL.

Seriously, does sound very interesting including the metal ink (I guess instead of wires).

Not sure about you, but I would think this is innovation and not evolution.

Good choice to use on ultra portable or even better THE TABLET.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quintto
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Uh... if you glue the case together, how do you take it apart to replace components?

Either you don't take it apart, or you have access panels, no doubt. They would not design in 'no access' unless there shouldn't be access.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    This reminds me of something I did in the 4th Grade with some Legos. I built a small tower where every single piece was connected to at least 2 pieces below it, it was sturdy as hell and would obliterate any other lego toys that crashed into it.

It was a fun little toy but someone eventually punched a hole in it, surprisingly most of the structure stayed intact. If Apple were to make something like that on a molecular level, it would be unbelievably strong.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

If taken to the extreme ...... This sounds like the machines may not be expandable and not repairable without buying a new case. Possibly disk drive and memory, all else built into the motherboard or the case (antennas and screen for example).

Very interesting. Maybe we can take an old machine and dip it into epoxy, LOL.

Seriously, does sound very interesting including the metal ink (I guess instead of wires).

Not sure about you, but I would think this is innovation and not evolution.

Good choice to use on ultra portable or even better THE TABLET.

Yes, the metal ink reminds me of recent advances in 'printing houses' and other techniques (of which, I regrettably have no links to offer) and when creating circuits with common ink-jet style technology.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Looks like this laptop may be based on another patent they filed awhile ago...

Not really, they have an iPod Shuffle first Gen Patent without any buttons on it, just the circles.

Sebastian