An in-depth review of Apple's 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neptune2000 View Post

This is of course totally bogus, since the D-Link product provides support only for Windows 2000, XP and Vista. There is no support for any Mac notebook or Desktop, which means that as of today it is not possible to use 802.11n with any of the PowePC-based macs.

I wondered about that too. Guess he is talking about the DWA-130 Wireless N USB adapter.

I sent their tech support an email to ask but, everything I can read seems to indicate no Mac support. It is the first USB solution I have seen. Anyone know of anything that does work?

I think they have a PCMCIA adapter too but, obviously that own't work.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    menotyoumenotyou Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reifer View Post

Anyone have any success with networking a USB Hard drive on the new Extreme?

Particularly with OS 10.4.9

There are numerous posting about the failure of USB drives to mount after installing the update.

I lost my RAID and my USB big disks.

Apple has been strangely quiet on the issue although LaCie seems to be well aware of it.

Also, is it possible to network using the ethernet port? or is there only one?

I hooked up my brother multi printer via LAN using the new airport so... it should? I'm not really knowlegeable on this topic but i'll give my own experience: I attached a Lacie USB drive to the airport and was able to attach the printer to the drive and print via Bonjour (using the external hd as a usb hub required no extra effort- just worked). But I wanted to be able to send scans to the macbook using the printer so I hooked up via the LAN. Recognized instantly, as though the printer/scanner was wired. Brother printers & apple's seem to like each other.

must say, this airport has rocked since day one, I use apple's 'backup' program for nightly backups using 'G' and its a little slow, but works fine. I also keep my movies on network'd HD and watch em through itunes; it only takes a little time to get the file up & streaming (1-4 seconds) then all's good. As much as I would like 'N' for little quicker backups, what I have works and works fine untill I get another lappie in a few years.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pk22901 View Post

2 early posters have recorded their negative reaction to Daniel Eran of roughlydrafted.com.

IMHO Daniel, in roughlydrafted.com, is guilty of sharing his informed opinions (and attitudes) about all things Apple (always positive), MS (always negative), and other interesting topics including several MS praising hacks. (You know who you are.)

He is the one of the best technical and historical reporters, far above most popular commentators. I (and many others) read him avidly because his work is deeply researched, articulate, and very enlightening.

I'm sorry, but its hard to read anyone's opinions, regardless of how 'informed' or 'researched' they are, if he's always positive about one company, and always negative about another. That would imply that, if he were unbiased, that Apple can do no wrong (ha!) or MS can do no right (I'm sure they have, it just takes some time to think about what it might be).

Its like reading people who go on and on about how great the OS 9 finder is without seeing its downsides (or how bad the OS X finder is without looking at its upsides - again, it must have some, it just requires a little thinking....). Or how Apple's product line-up is the greatest ever. Or how, if you compare like computers, Apple's are cheaper (oh god, I hate that argument!). There's a reason people mock Dvorak! Its because he never says anything nice about Apple (well, I recall he did once, but I think he was on some medication at the time), and so everyone feel he's got an agenda.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, I've been using my AE for two weeks now, upgrading from an Express due to multiple and constant dropouts, slow speeds, etc. I am in apartment building, and using a MBPC2D.

It took some fiddling to setup (had to unplug my modem for Comcast), but afterward, it has been great. The signal is much stronger than the Express (which is now on the network as printer connection) and the speed is better too. I recorded 21mpbs with a broadband speed test after installation. That's damn fast.

I also owned an original Airport Extreme (G) and a Snow base station. This one is far better in terms of speed and stability. I think I had one very minor dropout the other day, but honestly my feeling was that it related to the Express as I was trying to print when I noticed it.

My feeling is that if you have an all "g" network and you're happy with the signal, don't upgrade. But if you have connectivity issues like I had (and it was BAD), it's definitely worth it. I couldn't be happier. I haven't tried the AirDisk function yet, but I will soon.

SDW
  • Reply 25 of 44
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Isn't 802.11 2.4GHz?

I was mistaken. It's 2.4 and/or 5GHz. I'm operating at 5GHz right now.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    nuttsnutts Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

But will it fix the interminable dropped wi-fi connections that MacBooks experience when running on WPA2-Personal? Or does one not have anything to do with the other?

I've been having this problem with mine, but haven't gone out of my way yet to fix it, I guess hoping Apple will eventually. I'll try the tips further down the thread to see if they help.

I'm in the UK but I bought my Extreme in the US, so I'm able to run it at 5ghz (legal or not). This means it avoids interference from my DECT handsets, the microwave, and my other b/g network. I'm running it as a separate WPA2-secured n-only network, and the range on 5ghz through walls though is less than on 2.4ghz - one of the disadvantages I guess. But my MBP C2D is in the same room anyway.

Doing rough speed comparisons with my 100mbit wired network I get very close times for copying large (several gb) files to/from my NAS, which is great.

Overall I'm happy with it, but just wish Apple would do something about the intermittent drop-offs, always while copying large files across the network. With my MBP I never have problems when I wake from sleep however, as others seem to.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    In reply to Louzer # 24:

Funny you should mention Dvorak. He's opinionated (to be generous) and he's NOT insightful, nor reality based. Eran, on the other handed is opinionated AND insightful, clear, factual, and well worth the read.

So, did you actually read something in roughlydrafted? If not, are you arguing for dispassionate, boring, uninformative drivel?

Read the roughlydrafted articles (It's only fair; you've read Dvorak!)!

(And I think you'll enjoy the read.)
  • Reply 28 of 44
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reifer View Post

I wondered about that too. Guess he is talking about the DWA-130 Wireless N USB adapter.

I sent their tech support an email to ask but, everything I can read seems to indicate no Mac support. It is the first USB solution I have seen. Anyone know of anything that does work?

I think they have a PCMCIA adapter too but, obviously that own't work.

I'm looking into 802.11n solution for PPC-based Macs as well. Went thru xlr8yourmac, macintouch, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I have a Canon 9000 printer hookedup to my Airport Extreme, if I switch my printer off and back on again, my Airport Extreme will not renew the connection with my printer unless I switch it off an back on too. This was not so with the older Airport!

Anyone has a similar problem?

• Reply 30 of 44
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

I have a Canon 9000 printer hookedup to my Airport Extreme, if I switch my printer off and back on again, my Airport Extreme will not renew the connection with my printer unless I switch it off an back on too. This was not so with the older Airport!

Anyone has a similar problem?

this is a known issue i've seen on apple.com forums. no fix, wait for firmware...maybe.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

More than one USB port would be useful too if you're after using it as a print server and a USB disk.

FOOL you can use a USB hub
  • Reply 32 of 44
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

there are many ways to answer his question, one other way might be:

"btw, did you know that you can use a USB hub and attach more than one device? Its probably best if you use one that is powered so that it works better".

just something to consider in the future.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pk22901 View Post

In reply to Louzer # 24:

Funny you should mention Dvorak. He's opinionated (to be generous) and he's NOT insightful, nor reality based. Eran, on the other handed is opinionated AND insightful, clear, factual, and well worth the read.

So, did you actually read something in roughlydrafted? If not, are you arguing for dispassionate, boring, uninformative drivel?

Read the roughlydrafted articles (It's only fair; you've read Dvorak!)!

(And I think you'll enjoy the read.)

I don't particularly care to read something so biased. Mac users take flack for this kind of one-sided fantaticism.

But I had the temerity to politely disagree with something in a Roughly Drafted article. Eran came back with a personal, agressive flame. I decided the fellow had some kind of issue and decided to leave it.

C.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    Heard back from D-Link.

No Mac drivers for the DWA 130

They have an Express card option too, but, no Mac drivers there either.

I know that we Mac users are the red headed stepchildren of technology but, the guys who run these companies don't get it.

With the introduction of the Airport Extreme "n" base station, Mac users are some of the most likely early adopters of this techonology.

I've had an Express slot for about 15 months now in my MacBook Pro and haven't had anything I wanted to plug into it. A wifi adapter would be perfect.

Particularly on Wifi "n", I think Apples owes us a little more help.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Charming.

You'll also need another power supply to power your hub.

I know you can attach a hub to it but that doesn't take away from my point that two USB connectors would have been a useful feature and not that expensive to do either given the high price of the unit already.

If we're going with your kind of reasoning then Apple were FOOLs to put more than one ethernet connection on it as you can easily attach an ethernet switch. Heck they were FOOLs to include wireless too. They could have forgot that and have you buy an ethernet-wireless bridge. The FOOLs!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

this is a known issue i've seen on apple.com forums. no fix, wait for firmware...maybe.

Thanx, it seems that I needed to upgrade to the latest version (duh), I think it works now.

• Reply 37 of 44
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

I'm looking into 802.11n solution for PPC-based Macs as well. Went thru xlr8yourmac, macintouch, etc.

The Buffalo AirStation Draft-N WZR-G300N has a bridge mode that would allow you to have Draft-N. Check compatibility with the router on the other end. It uses the older Broadcom chip and this is, I think, a soon to be discontinued model that might have been replaced by the WZR2-G300N and WZR-AG300NH.

These likely also have a bridge mode but there's no manual available for download. They do have an external mode switch like the older WZR-G300N. Labeled differently but described the same way on their web site.

I use one of their G routers in bridge mode. Its a middle of the pack G router that was cheaper than most standalone single-port "game adapters" (cost me $65 or so).

Getting a WZR-AG300NH to use in bridge mode will be pricey at $250. The new WZR2-G300N isn't out yet but the soon to be replaced WZR-G300N is down to around $110.

Note that the WZR-G300N clocked in at 90-75MBps...which was slower than some of the pre-N MIMO offerings. Dunno how fast the WHR-HP-AG108 (a dual band A+G router that also has bridge mode) is but its $80.

I'm trying to hold out another generation of Draft-N devices.

Vinea
  • Reply 38 of 44
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Are there any N mode 'game adapters' yet?

I've been using SMC EZ-Connect Ethernet Bridges - SMCWEBT-G on Macs that can't take new cards including an iBook G3 and an SE/30!

They're around £25 here in the UK.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...cid=5&pid=1476

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=524

As they plug in to your ethernet port there's no drivers required. The SMCWEBT-G also acts as a WDS repeater so as well as getting older Macs on the network, it extends too. I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2800VG router though, not an Apple router. They were all working with an Airport Express in WDS mode too up until the Airport Express went bang last week. It's funny how you miss Airtunes.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Are there any N mode 'game adapters' yet?

Not that I've found yet.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I'll chime in too, but more to the point. Don't be an asshole for no reason.

Asshole.